PDA

View Full Version : Important chracter of ride

I Want Sachs?
09-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Skimming through the posts, it seems like the general concensus is frames make more difference in comfort than posts, stem, handlebar. Wheels make more difference than frames. Tires make more difference than wheels. Tire pressure makes more difference than tires.

How come a low tire pressure on a Surly does not outperform high pressure on my Serotta for comfort?

AndrewS
09-18-2010, 11:27 AM
How come a low tire pressure on a Surly does not outperform high pressure on my Serotta for comfort?Um, who says it doesn't?

A Surly (or whatever) might not climb or corner as well as a Serotta, but if you build them with the same stuff and send them down a straight road, I've never heard anything to suggest that the Serotta is going to be any more comfortable. It certainly could be, but the opposite is just as likely.

If you are thinking of a specific comparison of two frames, that fit the rider exactly the same and have the same parts, the lighter (Serotta) frame may be either more vertically compliant or dampens road shock better, but there's nothing about the design of any high-end performance frame that should automatically make it more comfortable than anything else - especially something built for comfort.

Where does this question come from?

bobswire
09-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I ALWAYS start with the frame then build around it. I bad frame with all the best components is still a bad frame and more than likely a so so ride.
Nothing wrong with Surly's ,Soma's or even Pakes but they can't be made to ride like a Serotta,et al.

I just finished building up a Pake C'Mutter frame, a no-brainer , commute, pot hole busting fun ride but it is not a CDA.....but to each his own.

sevencyclist
09-18-2010, 11:54 AM
The pressure on tires make a big difference. Frames make a difference. Each rider can makes emotional decision regarding what works for them.

shiftyfixedgear
09-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm just glad that none of the opinions is subjective in any way shape or form <G>.

I Want Sachs?
09-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Um, who says it doesn't?

A Surly (or whatever) might not climb or corner as well as a Serotta, but if you build them with the same stuff and send them down a straight road, I've never heard anything to suggest that the Serotta is going to be any more comfortable. It certainly could be, but the opposite is just as likely.

If you are thinking of a specific comparison of two frames, that fit the rider exactly the same and have the same parts, the lighter (Serotta) frame may be either more vertically compliant or dampens road shock better, but there's nothing about the design of any high-end performance frame that should automatically make it more comfortable than anything else - especially something built for comfort.

Where does this question come from?
I own both a Surly and Serotta. I swap the wheels from Serotta to Surly and vary the pressure. The wheels from Surly is Alex Rim wheelset, and the Serotta is handbuilt Mavic. I also vary the pressure in the tires.

Somehow I feel the frame makes a bigger difference than the tire pressure for me. The wheelset does not seem to make much difference.

AndrewS
09-18-2010, 12:33 PM
For these two specific bikes that you own? I would imagine something about the Surly's tubeset transmits more vibration and shock than the Serotta, but not knowing anything about the two bikes relative geometry and fit, that's just a guess.

Less expensive bikes featuring "comfort" geometry aren't automatically plush just because they're intended to be. A narrow tube made with thick tubing may flex more while still transmitting more vibration.

So, my best guess - because your Serotta cost more.

I Want Sachs?
09-18-2010, 12:40 PM
For these two specific bikes that you own? I would imagine something about the Surly's tubeset transmits more vibration and shock than the Serotta, but not knowing anything about the two bikes relative geometry and fit, that's just a guess.

Less expensive bikes featuring "comfort" geometry aren't automatically plush just because they're intended to be. A narrow tube made with thick tubing may flex more while still transmitting more vibration.

So, my best guess - because your Serotta cost more.
The Surly is steel tig welded frame and fork. The Serotta is steel Colorado tubing with carbon fork. Perhaps the design of the frame did it.

AndrewS
09-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I was assuming they were both steel. But the specifics of the tubes, they're lengths and the angles they meet at are what makes one bike totally different than another. We can only guess that the Serotta's lighter tubeset is probably a factor in this.

SPOKE
09-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Tubing wall thickness (butting), diameter and geometry matter!
Don't forget the fork too.

Bob Loblaw
09-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Comfort is affected by a long list of factors. Biggies are:

bike fit
seat
tire pressure and size
rider age
number of miles rider has ridden the bike
rider weight and/or fitness level
rider's feelings/prejudices regarding the bike

BL

oldpotatoe
09-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Comfort is affected by a long list of factors. Biggies are:

bike fit
seat
tire pressure and size
rider age
number of miles rider has ridden the bike
rider weight and/or fitness level
rider's feelings/prejudices regarding the bike

BL

Mostly the last. 'Comfoft', Subjective, no way to measure. What is comfy for you may be uncomfortable to me.

My Moots, Merckx and Waterford all 'feel' different, but all 'feel' great.

Is the OP distressed by how the Surley rides? Is he trying to make it more 'comfy'?

wasfast
09-19-2010, 08:32 AM
You forgot budget. A very expensive bike has to be comfortable to avoid buyers remorse:-) :)

I built up a new rain bike last winter with a carbon cross frame (1250g) and the same Campy 10spd drive train as my dry bike. Even with the same wheels, the difference is quite noticeable. The cross bike has a "land yacht" feel to it. Getting on the dry bike is like adding 50 watts to the engine and its not because of budget ( similar in both cases).

oldpotatoe
09-20-2010, 07:55 AM
You forgot budget. A very expensive bike has to be comfortable to avoid buyers remorse:-) :)

I built up a new rain bike last winter with a carbon cross frame (1250g) and the same Campy 10spd drive train as my dry bike. Even with the same wheels, the difference is quite noticeable. The cross bike has a "land yacht" feel to it. Getting on the dry bike is like adding 50 watts to the engine and its not because of budget ( similar in both cases).

If somebody spends a ton on a bicycle or wheelset or handlebar or tire or whatever, they will love it even if they don't.

bobswire
09-20-2010, 09:46 AM
If somebody spends a ton on a bicycle or wheelset or handlebar or tire or whatever, they will love it even if they don't.

When all is said and done for the most part you get what you pay for.

For comfort alone and long road trips nothing beats my Mavic OPs/Ultegra wheels (best wheel for the dollar IMO ($250-$350), for climbing and speed some Kinlan rims with Velocity hubs ($400-$550) yet still pretty comfortable.
The Neuvations are good for speed and low priced ($230) but on rough roads they can teeth chattering.