PDA

View Full Version : OT anyone have a droid x?

bkboom123
09-17-2010, 09:33 PM
I had a motorola droid (first generation).....long story short it broke the day before I went to vegas and needed a phone desperately. All the verizon stores in the greater Albany area were sold out of the droid x, with a two week waiting period.

Since I HAD to have a phone for my trip I scooped up the motorola droid 2 (the updated version).....I am one of those "I always want what I dont have type people." I still have two weeks to decide to stick with my phone now, or swap out.....

So does anyone have a droid x and have any first hand feedback about the phone? Interested to hear what you have to say.... thanks! :beer:

Kirk007
09-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I like mine but it is a bit on the large size. I was coming off a Blackberry Storm first edition; the droid X is a huge (no pun intended) improvement.

MattTuck
09-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I've played with the droid x several times at the nearby verizon store.

Here's my input on your situation. If you really want the droid x, it is a ncie phone but is pretty big, but that's not the big problem with it.

The big problem is that beginning in late 2010, early 2011, Verizon will start rolling out the LTE network and phones that work on that network. It is a much faster network and the phones will be much faster. (According to a friend that covers the mobile phone industry, droid incredible, droid x, even iphone 4 are basically built on year old hardware technology).

The new phones coming out between now and February 2011 are going to be much faster.

That said, I don't know if you have the flexibility to wait. Sometimes changing phones requires you to renew your contract... which I think would be a mistake. Mainly because then you'd have basically missed the LTE intro and won't be able to get an LTE phone for another 2 years?

I went to best buy and bought a prepaid verizon phone for 29 bucks, when my most recent phone died... it had been off contract for about 6 months at that point. I used the verizon website to add that phone to my account and it works fine. downside is: it's from basically 2002. No internet, not email, etc.

I'm ok waiting... but you may not be. But atleast think about the LTE situation when making your decision.

rice rocket
09-18-2010, 12:58 AM
If you HAVE to have a phone now, consider the Samsung Fascinate too. I have the T-Mobile version of the phone (which is identical), and it's a great size @ 4". The 4.3" is a touch too big for my hands to operate well. My girlfriend's iPhone4 is a bit lacking @ 3.5".

TAW
09-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I have a Droid Eris and I have a friend with the Droid X. The X is a little faster, but it is also bigger. I like the smaller size so I'm happy with the "entry level" Droid, and there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in performance.

roguedog
09-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I just got the Incredible. Was a toss up between the Incredible and Droid X.

I went with the Incredible because the UI seemed more friendly and the smaller footprint.

After having it for a few days, I like the size and feel. Overall, I like it but I think it could have better build quality and better audio.

I really liked the Droid X's audio quality and I'm a Moto fan. They just seem to build solid phones (for me). I mean solid as in build quality.

What I didn't really like on the demo X was that it seemed sluggish compared to the Incredible. Surfing and just some UI swiping seemed to be hampered. However, this was before Froyo so maybe it's better now.

Still evaluating if the Incredible is the phone to keep though.

MattTuck
09-18-2010, 03:21 PM
If you HAVE to have a phone now, consider the Samsung Fascinate too. I have the T-Mobile version of the phone (which is identical), and it's a great size @ 4". The 4.3" is a touch too big for my hands to operate well. My girlfriend's iPhone4 is a bit lacking @ 3.5".

Just beware of this little Gotcha from the Engadget Review.

First -- we had a fairly extreme shock when we booted up this device for the first time. After some experiences with the "new" Android (that is, devices which have a much heavier carrier influence than Android's first wave), we've come to expect just about anything. However, what we found with the Fascinate still seems notable. The phone does not use Google as its default search. And it doesn't utilize Yahoo! either. No, the Fascinate search engine defaults to Bing. Bing is used for the homescreen widget. It is defaulted to in the browser. It is present across the device... and there's no way to choose a different search engine. Like, you know -- Google. When we pressed Verizon reps about this, they let us know in no uncertain terms that the stock engine is Bing without a second choice.

This was maddening to us. We don't have a personal issue with Bing, but it's not our engine of choice, and we'd be willing to bet that it's not yours either. Now, imagine buying an Android phone -- a Google phone -- only to discover that not only was Google not defaulted to as a search engine, it's not even an option! For us, this is actually a deal breaker. It's fine to throw a new choice a user's way, but to force them into using nothing but that choice seems pretty low. Even on the original iPhone you were given a choice between Google and Yahoo!. Here, you've got Bing unless you want to get hacking -- and most people actually don't want to get hacking. They just want to use their phones. Again, it's not that Bing is a bad search engine, but Google is the standard. If it's not even offered, what does that say?

cleavel
09-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi,

I've had the Droid X for about 3 weeks. It is a bit big but being a bit older the larger screen is a bit easier on my eyes. I bought the Droid X over the Droid 2 because the reviews I read said the camera in the Droid X was noticeably better than in the Droid 2. I wanted to be able to ditch the P&S on my more leisurely rides so I went with the Droid X.

I am an amateur photographer and I find the Droid X has a noticeably better camera than my Blackberry Curve (work phone) and if it is better than the Droid 2 then I made the right choice. However, so far it is not producing shots that are nearly as good as my Kodak P&S. It could be operator error.

I am definitely enjoying being able to access my personal email accounts easily and the virtual keyboard is easier to use than the Blackberry keyboard. However, the Droid 2 keyboard is probably even better.

Hope this helps.

1happygirl
09-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Reading this after reading all the other reviews in other areas. I have exactly 4 hours from now to take advantage of the BOGO offer at Verizon.

Anyone have any experience/ideas on the Fascinate vs. Droid X?

I need 4 for the family ('ol folks/parents) and have been racking my brain over the pros and cons.

Any advice and for how good the reception is on the Fascinate would be appreciated -- but hurry.

ps One phone will be in a bad reception area. I suppose I could mix and match but if my folks call me for help having one phone and me the other, I may not be much help. I know I started this late but I didn't know about the offer or the expiration today until I walked in to Verizon.

Thanks in advance

bkboom123
09-30-2010, 03:56 PM
I ended up trading my Droid 2 in for the Droid X and I couldnt be happier. If you are def going to get a Droid phone with all touch screen then absolutely go with the Droid X.

The web browsing, typing, and even just getting around the screens is that much easier with the big screen.

The only thing the fascinate has on the X is the AMOLED screen (which I have seen and have a couple friends who have the phone) The screen is really stunning, but all of them have said its hard with the screen being so small to maneuver around.

Even when I was still in possession of my Droid 2, the screen seemed small and less vibrant thenn the X after only a few hours of use.

I hope some of this helped! Get the droid X, its an amazing phone

1happygirl
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks !!!! A bit worried about the LTE mentioned above. Old folks need the big screen and sharpness of the Fascinate so that's one reason I'm looking at them. I also don't mind the big screen area. Aggghhh. Anyway, if I get the Fascinate I will probably end up rooting it.

We can't afford to keep switching these will have to last out the two year contract. Have 3 year old palms now that can't even get the internet which hinders things. Mom and Dad are old but they text me almost everyday (and vice versa)

It would help if we all had the same phone due to technical help issues. If I get called for help, it would be good to be familiar with the phone in advance

alembical
09-30-2010, 04:13 PM
I thought I was going to buy a Droid x. I ended up with a HTC Aria which is comparatively tiny and reasonably sized for what I was needing. Getting the opportunity to hold numerous phones and play around them for a while is something I needed to do and am very glad I did.

bkboom123
09-30-2010, 04:26 PM
I think you missed what I said....My friends (all 22-25 year-olds), said they wish they got the X because the Fascinates screen is so small. The AMOLED screen on the fascinate is sharp and beautiful, but its somewhat small. So people with big fingers or older people may find it hard to use.....

Just wanted to clarify! good luck

1happygirl
09-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Hey Thanks Bk

Yes I did miss it. I think big is a plus also. I think just the being in a hurry and the not-so-insignificant investment has fried my brain.

Over the course of a year (X4 phones) this is about a $4,000 investment.

$1,000 upfront for the phones and about $3K for the service over a year. $30 a month just for each phone as a requirement for the data package.
The reason for these phones and their ilk is the big, easy to read screen.

I've been saving for a while. Really the folks at 80ish yrs don't so much need the internet but just texting. Mom took up programming at 70 and is a whiz. Too bad her friends are "slow" (her words not mine)

Would love the Sprint Epic - same as VZW Fascinate but with the slide out keyboard - (Mom thinks the slide out keyboard will be better and faster for her-and it would for me too) but Sprint is 'out of network' and they said they'd kill me on out of network charges. Been with VZW since '98 with not very many problemos.

MattTuck
09-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't want to pass judgement, but.... I'm sure your parents would want you to have a new bike over a phone they can text from. ;)

Hey Thanks Bk

Yes I did miss it. I think big is a plus also. I think just the being in a hurry and the not-so-insignificant investment has fried my brain.

Over the course of a year (X4 phones) this is about a $4,000 investment.

$1,000 upfront for the phones and about $3K for the service over a year. $30 a month just for each phone as a requirement for the data package.
The reason for these phones and their ilk is the big, easy to read screen.

I've been saving for a while. Really the folks at 80ish yrs don't so much need the internet but just texting. Mom took up programming at 70 and is a whiz. Too bad her friends are "slow" (her words not mine)

Would love the Sprint Epic - same as VZW Fascinate but with the slide out keyboard - (Mom thinks the slide out keyboard will be better and faster for her-and it would for me too) but Sprint is 'out of network' and they said they'd kill me on out of network charges. Been with VZW since '98 with not very many problemos.

1happygirl
09-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Hahahah. LOL. Yep I'm sure, but that's why I'll have to keep the phone for the two year contract rather then pay to get out early if a new cool phone comes out 'cuz I have my eye on a new bike too.

I was a very late in life child and I wanna give them something they enjoy as well as keep their brains sharp. Mom loves her some technology!

Less then 2 hrs left for the BOGO. Gonna run out to the bank now and make a snap decision at the store.

The sooner I replace the Palm phones we have the sooner the two year time commitment passes.

1happygirl
10-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey thanks everyone for your kind and PROMPT replies.

I ran to VZW and made a snap decision. I'll report on the phones later

Thanks for all the info

denapista
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I have The VZW Incredible. I love this phone, granted the battery life is horrible. One day I left my phone in my car charging, not knowing the shade tree I parked under let the sunlight in after a certain point. Well after the shade was gone, my phone basically cooked for an hour. My battery was so hot that my phone wouldn't even boot up. I pulled the battery and saw the disclaimerthat batteries shouldn't be left in heat up to 100 something degrees. I think my battery is now toast. I can charge it to 100% and maybe after 10 minutes, it's down to the low 90%. I'm going to get that extended battery from VZW. I hear you can get 3 days of battery with it.