PDA

View Full Version : SRAM compatibility

vqdriver
09-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Is there a summary of what SRAM works with what other SRAM?
We all know the shimano stuff works with almost any other shimano. But i can't get the SRAM road mtb and the xx stuff straight.
I'm referring to the shifters and rd.

oldpotatoe
09-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Is there a summary of what SRAM works with what other SRAM?
We all know the shimano stuff works with almost any other shimano. But i can't get the SRAM road mtb and the xx stuff straight.
I'm referring to the shifters and rd.

Sram 10s road shifters are cross compatible with MTB 10s rear derailleurs.

In other words, you can use sram road shifters with a sram MTB 10s rear derailleur, then use a 10s MTB cogset, either sram or shimano(new for 2011).

The RH MTB 10s sram shifter is also compatible wit sram road rear derailleurs, also not sure why you would want to do this.

AndrewS
09-17-2010, 10:04 AM
It doesn't seem like SRAM wants that question easily answered. It looks like Oldpotatoe is correct, but I think it's ONLY for the 10 speed derailleurs. Despite it not mattering in the Shimano world (where a 1987 600 6 spd. derailleur would work with 2011 Ultegra 10 spd shifters) , it appears that SRAM 9 spd MTB derailleurs used a different cable pull than the 10 spd, and SRAM has identical appearing models that are designated 10 vs. 9. They are all 1:1 actuation, so that doesn't tell the whole story.

I'd pick a derailleur to use, then call SRAM and have them confirm compatibility. Maybe if enough people do that they'll get their literature in order.

Also, the new Apex road rear derailleur has a much greater capacity than their other road derailleurs, and is fully compatible. You could consider that one as well.

The RH MTB 10s sram shifter is also compatible wit sram road rear derailleurs, also not sure why you would want to do this.Flat bar road bike? Short cage derailleur MTB?

benb
09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I was under the impression the MTB 9-speed stuff was 1:1 Actuation ratio and the Road 10-speed stuff was not.

AndrewS
09-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Here:

http://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/187

vqdriver
09-17-2010, 12:46 PM
so does that mean an apex rd is a cheaper version of the xx rd?
or that you could consider the xx a long cage version of a red rd?

if that's the case, then easy schneazy. 10s w/ 10s and 9s w/ 9s

nahtnoj
09-17-2010, 02:29 PM
The RH MTB 10s sram shifter is also compatible wit sram road rear derailleurs, also not sure why you would want to do this.

Downhill racing. Understandably not a discipline not too many people talk about around here.

AndrewS
09-17-2010, 03:50 PM
so does that mean an apex rd is a cheaper version of the xx rd?
or that you could consider the xx a long cage version of a red rd?

if that's the case, then easy schneazy. 10s w/ 10s and 9s w/ 9s
The Apex is a medium cage derailleur, while the xx is a long cage. I don't think it makes sense to say that one a version of the other. XT, XTR and Deore don't match up to Ultegra, Dura Ace and 105, either.

I'm just pointing out that if the Apex derailleur has the capacity you want, it looks like and is built like a road derailleur with a cable adjuster, etc. If you want to go to a full on MTB long cage, then I would still be cautious and bother SRAM or whoever you're purchasing from to make sure that it is considered 100% compatible.

oldpotatoe
09-18-2010, 07:14 AM
It doesn't seem like SRAM wants that question easily answered. It looks like Oldpotatoe is correct, but I think it's ONLY for the 10 speed derailleurs. Despite it not mattering in the Shimano world (where a 1987 600 6 spd. derailleur would work with 2011 Ultegra 10 spd shifters) , it appears that SRAM 9 spd MTB derailleurs used a different cable pull than the 10 spd, and SRAM has identical appearing models that are designated 10 vs. 9. They are all 1:1 actuation, so that doesn't tell the whole story.

I'd pick a derailleur to use, then call SRAM and have them confirm compatibility. Maybe if enough people do that they'll get their literature in order.

Also, the new Apex road rear derailleur has a much greater capacity than their other road derailleurs, and is fully compatible. You could consider that one as well.

Flat bar road bike? Short cage derailleur MTB?

That is correct, sram made the MTB and road Rear derailleurs cross compatible but a sram 9s RD will not work with road 10s shifters nor any of the sram 10s MTB shifters.

dogdriver
09-18-2010, 07:25 AM
If you want to go to a full on MTB long cage, then I would still be cautious and bother SRAM or whoever you're purchasing from to make sure that it is considered 100% compatible.

Good point. I've called SRAM (on the telephone) several times and have been connected to an actual knowledgeable human every time. Any warranty service needs to be done thru a dealer, but the folks at SRAM seem eager to talk to customers and have the answers. If the person you're talking to doesn't know, I'll bet they'll either get you to someone who does know or find it themself before the call ends.

FWIW, Chris