PDA

View Full Version : NYT Story about Bikes

MattTuck
09-16-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/opinion/16kristof.html?_r=1&hp

Interesting story. Puts the importance of a bike into perspective.

pbjbike
09-16-2010, 12:41 PM
SRAM Rocks! An amazing amount of effort went into that project. The fact that they designed something for that environment and thought of repair issues is forward thinking and commendable. :beer:

MattTuck
09-16-2010, 12:46 PM
SRAM Rocks! An amazing amount of effort went into that project. The fact that they designed something for that environment and thought of repair issues is forward thinking and commendable. :beer:

"Mr. Day’s engineering staff designed a 55-pound one-speed bicycle that needed little pampering."

I hope that environment doesn't have too many hills. But yes, I completely agree it shows a degree of commitment to try to develop an ecosystem and infrastructure to support the mission.

Many people would prioritize the "photo-op" friendly total number of bikes that were sent, regardless if they lasted or were appropriate for the users.

pbjbike
09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Definitely. One of the big bike tool companies sent a quantity of their "Pro Kits" to Africa a few years ago. I thought it was hilarious and hoped someone found a use for a BB30 installation tool, as well as all the rest of the specialized tools.