PDA

View Full Version : Question about Triple cranks

Ralph
09-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Sometimes I use a triple when I go to NC Mountains....A Campy Racing T. I use a 111 MM symetrical Centaur BB. When I do this, my right leg is more outboard than my left leg. You can measure this from the outside of the crank arm where pedal attaches to center of seat tube. No big deal, but am aware of it.

The mid 2000's Chorus and Record triples use an asymetrical 111 BB. Is this just to give some space for the drive side, making the drive side leg slightly more "outboard" than left leg....or does the extra BB length go on the left leg making them even? I am sensitive to leg length, and if one side is pedaling "further out" than other I can usually feel it. I know I could adjust this with cleat placement, but don't want to make that many changes to my riding set up just for occasional triple use.

While they are still available new, I would not mind having a new Record triple, especially if they gave even "Q" both sides. A Compact crank is OK, especially with an IRD 12-32 or similar, but in my view, when you need a triple, you still need a triple. And some od us older guys need one sometimes.

AngryScientist
09-16-2010, 06:24 AM
first off, its awesome that you [probably accidentally] replicated your "triple" post three times :D

Ralph
09-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Don't know how I did that. Internet connection problems this AM. Some Editing became 3 posts.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Sometimes I use a triple when I go to NC Mountains....A Campy Racing T. I use a 111 MM symetrical Centaur BB. When I do this, my right leg is more outboard than my left leg. No big deal, but am aware of it.

The mid 2000's Chorus and Record triples use an asymetrical 111 BB. Is this just to give some space for the drive side, making the drive side leg slightly more "outboard" than left leg....or does the extra BB length go on the left leg making them even? I am sensitive to leg length, and if one side is pedaling "further out" than other I can usually feel it. I know I could adjust this with cleat placement, but don't want to make that many changes to my riding set up just for occasional triple use.

While they are still available new, I would not mind having a new Record triple, especially if they gave even "Q" both sides. A Compact crank is OK, especially with an IRD 12-32 or similar, but in my view, when you need a triple, you still need a triple. And some od us older guys need one sometimes.

Later models of Racing triple and also Centaur/Veloce triple had left arms that were 'splayed' out more the give equal stance, left-right. Yours is probably one of the older ones. Perhaps a more modern LH arm?

The asymmetrical BBs for Record and Chorus were made to match those cranks, not Centaur and below.

Mike748
09-16-2010, 07:41 AM
The asymmetric BB's have the drive side spindle extending further so that wouldn't help you.

Ralph
09-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Later models of Racing triple and also Centaur/Veloce triple had left arms that were 'splayed' out more the give equal stance, left-right. Yours is probably one of the older ones. Perhaps a more modern LH arm?

The asymmetrical BBs for Record and Chorus were made to match those cranks, not Centaur and below.

Ah....that's the answer I needed. I'm using an old racing T 8 with 9/10's TA rings on inner and outer positions. I could just get a new Comp 10 triple crank (or Race) and continue using my Centaur BB, which I use with a double also on that bike.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

oliver1850
09-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Ken Robb
09-16-2010, 10:23 AM
you could think about a Sugino triple crank as well. They come with 110/74mm bolt rings so you can get ANY combination of rings that you want. For me a 52 or 53 tooth ring is mostly useless though I have a couple bikes with them. I prefer 48-38-28 or 46-38-26. I think they will fit on your Campy BB and I know your derailer will work fine.

Ralph
09-16-2010, 02:30 PM
you could think about a Sugino triple crank as well. They come with 110/74mm bolt rings so you can get ANY combination of rings that you want. For me a 52 or 53 tooth ring is mostly useless though I have a couple bikes with them. I prefer 48-38-28 or 46-38-26. I think they will fit on your Campy BB and I know your derailer will work fine.

I believe Sugino takes the ISIS taper and Campy takes the ISO taper. But I know the top of the line Sugino cranks are nice. I've had one of their nice doubles (XD2 500) in 34-48 from Bicycle Classics.

Elefantino
09-17-2010, 06:34 AM
Not to hijack, except sort of, but I junked the triple this year.

And I was pleasantly surprised. Thus far I have climbed better with the 50/34 + 13/29 combo than I did with the 53/39/30. And it's not like I've developed into a climbing machine (with that gearing, obviously not), it's just that it seems that I seem to cover more ground in less time with less exhaustion with the compact setup.

Anyone else notice this, or should I just go back on my meds?

RPS
09-17-2010, 07:36 AM
....snipped.....
I haven't made any changes, but noticed Shimano marketing for the new 10-speed XTR (copy below) suggests to me that for mountain bikes they are taking an opposite approach from wide-step front gear ratios like a compact offers. Granted they also offer a wide-ratio double in XTR to compete with SRAM but their CloseStep triple seems to be their "innovative" standard. Maybe it's all marketing but it seems they are trying to reduce front shifting.

"Dyna-Sys combines features like quick-shifting CloseStep front gear ratios (think: bigger granny, smaller big ring), a wide-range 11- to 36-tooth 10-speed cassette and re-engineered shifters and derailleurs that are less susceptible to trail chatter or contamination. Together, Shimano Systems Engineering unlocks performance and versatility never before seen in a triple, and it's all tied together with the industry's first mountain-bike-specific 10-speed chain.

Riders who would otherwise have to pull the ripcord and battle technical climbs from the trenches of their granny gear range can now push farther up the trail in their middle ring thanks to the increased range of a 36-tooth low-end rear gear. The granny gear is still there, you'll just need it less, and the 42-tooth big ring is more useable and easier to get into than ever before, so you'll use it more."

bobswire
09-17-2010, 07:46 AM

And I was pleasantly surprised. Thus far I have climbed better with the 50/34 + 13/29 combo than I did with the 53/39/30. And it's not like I've developed into a climbing machine (with that gearing, obviously not), it's just that it seems that I seem to cover more ground in less time with less exhaustion with the compact setup.

No offense but you live in Florida right? If so I single speed is more than enough to do climbs there. :D
Sorry couldn't resist. I recently purchased a Sugino Alpina 800 which is a double with 48/30 rings. Nice all around combination and I'm using the 48 large ring much more than I ever used a 53/52.

Ken Robb
09-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Go back on your meds. :) You had pretty much the same gear available to you with the triple. Why didn't you use it then?