PDA

View Full Version : Headset suggestions

Chuck Hammer
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Building a new bike and there are so many to chose from. I need a 1.125 threadless set. Why do thy run from $89 to $289 also?
Thanks

AndrewS
09-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I've been very happy with the more modest Cane Creek C2 headsets. Light enough, well made. Paid $25 for the last one. Despite the price, Cane Creek has the patent on the best bearing centering device. With cartridge bearings, I have a hard time seeing how much better one headset could be over another.

mandasol
09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
A better headset has better bearings and races, so will just do it's work properly and not be noticed while riding. Good seals help it stay that way. Other than that some people may be concerned about stack height, weight, and color. I install my own using a headset press I bought off of ebay pretty cheap.

Volant
09-15-2010, 01:27 PM
The obligatory King or Cane Creek 110. If you want to go off-the-beaten path, Acros or Tune work nicely too, but more $$$ (I like the Tune for the Gum Gum - uber-lightweight expander for carbon steerers - although you can buy that by itself).
As someone else stated, CC makes other fine models as well that aren't as pricey and work great.

Chuck Hammer
09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks.... this is what I was looking for. I have an Easton Carbon fork and was told I should use the expander type of cap.

Pete Serotta
09-15-2010, 02:27 PM
they are located in western NC but many dealers can get them to you..

Give Peter Gilbert a call at CANE CREEK or note and say" Pete Mckeon gave his mane and knew he would shed his knowledge" (and I will shed the beer next time in Hendersonville.

PETE

soulspinner
09-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I run a cane S-8 conventional headset and its a great value. It has less stack height than a King, which people looking for lots of drop like.

fogrider
09-16-2010, 03:54 AM
I have campy, king, fsa, and ritchey. I have not notice a big difference, all smooth so far. I don't really ride in the rain anymore but the bikes get light moisture from time to time. years back the bike with the campy got dumped on and the seals were good.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Kings are very nice, but I've used a Cane Creek s-2 for over 10k miles and it's basically been invisible. And at a third of the King's price, no less. Just my $.02.

AndrewS
09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
I mistyped, before. I've been using S2 headsets from CC.