PDA

View Full Version : que sheets - whats your method?

AngryScientist
09-15-2010, 08:15 AM
when doing new, unsupported rides, whats your method of not getting off course?

in the past i've printed out an excel spreadsheet with the required turns and associated distance, laminated it with clear packing tape and keep it in my pocket.

any other tips/tricks?

FlashUNC
09-15-2010, 08:19 AM
If the ride doesn't have too many complex turns, I keep the sheet small and tape it to my stem. I find that keeps me on the bike more.

sg8357
09-15-2010, 08:30 AM
In rural Ohio removing road signs is a popular sport, cue sheets aren't worth much.
Event rides get painted road marks.
Club rides have leaders, get ahead of the the leader and you get lost.

xeladragon
09-15-2010, 08:30 AM
ditto. stem is easier to read than your top tube (i've tried both). and i hate it when there are no street signs! :crap:

If the ride doesn't have too many complex turns, I keep the sheet small and tape it to my stem. I find that keeps me on the bike more.

AndrewS
09-15-2010, 09:10 AM
For longish que sheets I wrap them around the bar, so they can be scrolled through. I either use tape or origami to keep them there. Some friends have those big black paper clips zip-tied to their stems, other use a clear topped map case that velcros to their bar/stem.

komando
09-15-2010, 10:05 AM
I've always used a product called the cue clip.

93legendti
09-15-2010, 10:14 AM
when doing new, unsupported rides, whats your method of not getting off course?

in the past i've printed out an excel spreadsheet with the required turns and associated distance, laminated it with clear packing tape and keep it in my pocket.

any other tips/tricks?
Clear plastic, flexible cd sleeves zip tied thru 2 holes onto handlebar. Que sheet rests on the stem. I take extras on a trip in case if rips.

OtayBW
09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Folded up an placed in a small, rigid, clear plastic sleeve that I can easily pull out of my jersey with one hand AND BRING UP CLOSE TO MY EYES SO THAT I CAN READ IT. Then, right back in the pocket. This handlebar clip never worked for me...

BCS
09-15-2010, 11:17 AM
For brevets, i use the Bar Map map holder.
Otherwise, in a baggie in my jersey pocket

godfrey1112000
09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
for my brevets I use a "Quarterback play calling sleeve" like the ones you see on TV, I am able to look at my left arm and see each turn or instruction,
usually a reprint to fit the sleeve but it is worth it

If I know the course a baggy is used

BCS
09-15-2010, 12:57 PM
for my brevets I use a "Quarterback play calling sleeve"
this is a really good idea :beer:

dumbod
09-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Folded up an placed in a small, rigid, clear plastic sleeve that I can easily pull out of my jersey with one hand AND BRING UP CLOSE TO MY EYES SO THAT I CAN READ IT. Then, right back in the pocket. This handlebar clip never worked for me...

This works really well for me too. You can buy the sleeves with a zipper for less than $5 at Staples.

BTW, for us old farts, I took a one month trip where the guide printed the cue sheet at 12 pt rather than 10pt. Big difference. Cue sheets are normally next to useless for me cause I use reading glasses. I could actually read the 12pt on the move which was great. It takes a little more paper but it makes a big difference. Every one should encourage ride organizers to offer this option.

Volant
09-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm surprised the thread has gone this far without someone stating "use a Garmin". Plug the route in on your PC and download it to your GPS.

srice
09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
My local club uses printed cue sheets - usually excel - such as can be found here www.kybikerides.org Our ride leaders sweep instead of lead. If you don't want to get lost, stay with the back of the pack or find somebody that knows the roads.

I typically use a cue clip and have had great luck with that. A personal gripe for me is the guy with the cue sheet (which I spent a great deal of time creating) in his pocket that slows down or stops at every turn and wants to know which way to go. Either read your cue sheet, or get behind a group that knows where to turn.

gone
09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
or get behind a group that knows where to turn.

The problem is you go too effing slow :D

rice rocket
09-15-2010, 01:49 PM
http://www.robbinssports.com/sporting-goods-store/images/FBSWBBKX_l.jpg

Next stop, Monday night football.

Always thought this was a good idea, but I don't use cue sheets, I just hope I don't get dropped. ;)

godfrey1112000
09-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Have redone, my admin., several times, the reading glassing on the Brevet is tough, I have offered her the opportunity to go with me but she passed

This works really well for me too. You can buy the sleeves with a zipper for less than $5 at Staples.

BTW, for us old farts, I took a one month trip where the guide printed the cue sheet at 12 pt rather than 10pt. Big difference. Cue sheets are normally next to useless for me cause I use reading glasses. I could actually read the 12pt on the move which was great. It takes a little more paper but it makes a big difference. Every one should encourage ride organizers to offer this option.

palincss
09-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Cue sheets are normally next to useless for me cause I use reading glasses.

You mean your riding glasses aren't bifocals?

palincss
09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
The best cue sheet holder I've ever found is a Berthoud handlebar bag. There's a full-size clear plastic pocket on top that will hold an 81/2x11 page folded in half.

I use ridewithgps.com to draw the route, then I download the resulting cue sheet and massage it with a Perl script I wrote that formats it into an Excel spreadsheet, sets the font size to 12 point, rounds the mileage to 1 digit to the right of the decimal, right aligns the distance column and centers the turn column, etc. I found I was doing all that by hand, and decided to have fun writing it once, then let the computer do the boring work.

slowandsteady
09-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I use ridewithgps.com to draw the route, then I download the resulting cue sheet and massage it with a Perl script I wrote that formats it into an Excel spreadsheet, sets the font size to 12 point, rounds the mileage to 1 digit to the right of the decimal, right aligns the distance column and centers the turn column, etc. I found I was doing all that by hand, and decided to have fun writing it once, then let the computer do the boring work.

I need a cue sheet just to understand your post :banana:

wongmic75
09-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I print out using excel... then have a plastic clip that has a velcro wrap glued to it... then I just attach to my stem...
Good luck!

soggybiker
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
For brevet season, the standard DIY cue sheet holder is a binder clip (two if you're paranoid) zip-tied to your handlebar or your stem. Put your cue sheet in a ziploc bag if its wet.

spiderman
09-16-2010, 03:24 PM
i like to use my statewide county road maps...
i bought one for iowa, minnesota and south dakota.
i will make a photocopy of each of the sections i am scoping out
and put them in a waterproof bag or laminate them.
they can be folded easily and carried in a jersey pocket.
...that way they don't melt on the way from sweat or rain...

srice
09-16-2010, 08:22 PM
The problem is you go too effing slow :D
but then I couldn't enjoy your charming personality! :beer: