PDA

View Full Version : HELP with my headset!

whforrest
09-14-2010, 03:03 PM
F2 reynolds fork

chris king headset

serotta ottrot

upper headset keeps coming loose even after i tighten the bolt.

local bike shop put assembled everything and I'm a bit frustrated.

any ideas?

thanks in advance, bill

Smiley
09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
the compression plug lossen up, the grip on the inner surface of the carbon steerer? If so try another type.

David Kirk
09-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Carbon paste on the interface between the stem and steerer and on the outside of the compression plug where it contacts the inside of the steerer.

Dave

fjaws
09-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Additional spacer under (or on top of) stem. Hopefully would have been caught by the bike shop but I've seen several assembled by shops that didn't have enough clearance for the headset to be properly tightened. Seems alright at first and loosens as soon as you ride it.

sean
09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
fjaws is right. 99% of loosening issues with headsets (both threaded and threadless) are due to an incorrect number of spacers. It may look right when stacking them on, but once it compresses, the top cap hits the top of the fork. Add a 1mm in there and I almost guarantee the problem goes away.

Tim
09-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Try a better compression plug- this might solve this issue- Try a BBB plug- I had the same issue and the better plug solved it.

Jeff N.
09-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Make sure there's 2-3mm of space between the top cap and the steerer. Jeff N.

Chris
09-14-2010, 09:28 PM
I'll bet you Dave is right. I had the same problem and instead of carbon paste, I epoxied the expansion plug in. Never had a problem after that.

fjaws
09-15-2010, 04:23 AM
I'll bet you Dave is right. I had the same problem and instead of carbon paste, I epoxied the expansion plug in. Never had a problem after that.

It shouldn't be needed to KEEP tension on the headset. Once it's adjusted properly the stem being tightened should keep it there.

Sam in VA
09-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Once the headset is adjusted, the stem maintains the adjustment. All the compression nut does at this point is reinforce the steerer tube against the compressive forces of the stem. I'd take Dave Kirk's advice (always ;-)

BdaGhisallo
09-15-2010, 05:57 AM
You might want to try a different compression plug. The actual height of the section of the reynolds plug that contacts the inside of the steerer is quite short, so if it's tightened too much it can cause the steerer tube to bulge out. If that happens it's really difficult for the stem to stay properly seated and adjusted since it will tend to rock around on the bulge in the steerer tube.

Be careful how tightly you torque in the plug, or switch to another type. I use a Specialized plug since that has a long sleeve (probably four times the contact area of the reynolds plug) so that there is no risk of bulging and it provides a much longer zone to support the steerer tube against the clamping force of the stem.

Chris
09-15-2010, 09:12 AM
It shouldn't be needed to KEEP tension on the headset. Once it's adjusted properly the stem being tightened should keep it there.

You're correct of course, but if the stem rocks some due to a lack of good adhesion to the fork (no carbon paste on there for example) then having an expansion wedge that doesn't slip up the inside of the steerer tube helps keep everything just so.

David Kirk
09-15-2010, 09:20 AM
IMO the expansion plug's only reason for being is to set the initial preload on the headset bearings and that the stem maintains that setting after the fact. One should be able to get the whole deal set up and adjusted and once the stem is adjusted be able to remove the top cap and expander altogether.

So either the OP'er never got the needed preload set as needed because the the steerer was a bit too long (or too few spacers) or the stem is sliding up the steerer after the fact.

A spacer will fix the first issue and some paste will fix the next.

Dave

fjaws
09-15-2010, 10:15 AM
You're correct of course, but if the stem rocks some due to a lack of good adhesion to the fork (no carbon paste on there for example) then having an expansion wedge that doesn't slip up the inside of the steerer tube helps keep everything just so.

If you're relying on that expansion plug to keep everything together and your teeth in your grill......you're a braver man than I.

:beer:

Like Dave said, you should be able to remove it; and some do. Have look over on the weight weenies website and you'll find some of the weight obsessed who do just that. It's gotta be at least 5 grams!! :D

whforrest
09-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time here regarding the headset.

Since it was a used bike the reynolds f2 fork was already cut down leaving only room to fit 1 very small spacer.

so i can't add additional spacers. matter of fact when i assemble the spacer and stem the steerer does not come flush to the top of the stem.

i would try some of the suggestions

perhaps i needs to get another fork? =last resort.

thanks again, bill

Pete Serotta
09-15-2010, 11:19 AM
and Peter Gilbert at Cane Creek another source of info and product :)

PETE

Since it was a used bike the reynolds f2 fork was already cut down leaving only room to fit 1 very small spacer.

so i can't add additional spacers. matter of fact when i assemble the spacer and stem the steerer does not come flush to the top of the stem.

thanks again, bill

GregL
09-15-2010, 11:40 AM

thanks again, bill

As was pointed out earlier, the steerer should NOT come flush to the top of the stem UNLESS you are using a fork that is approved for use of spacers on top of the stem. Last I knew, Reynolds forks were NOT approved for use of spacers above the stem.

In my experience, the Reynolds compression plug is prone to coming loose even if the fork/headset/stem are installed correctly. The top cap is used to both set the headset preload AND to provide internal support for the compression loads the stem imparts to the steerer. I use a small amount of blue Loctite on the threads of the Reynolds compression plug top cap to ensure it does not loosen up after the preload is properly set (see step 7 of instructions at http://www.reynoldscycling.com/uploads/documents/OuzoProInstallation.pdf).

As BdaGhisallo pointed out, the Reynolds compression plug can be problematic if not adjusted correctly. I suggest inspecting the steerer tube closely to ensure that there is no damage.

-Greg

Chris
09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
If you're relying on that expansion plug to keep everything together and your teeth in your grill......you're a braver man than I.

That wasn't what I was saying. There have been some good posts here that did a better job of saying what I was trying to. :crap: SO I will leave it at that. Carry on.

fjaws
09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
matter of fact when i assemble the spacer and stem the steerer does not come flush to the top of the stem.

5mm is the normal recommendation unless your particular fork says otherwise. Fork steerer should stop 5mm from the top of the stem. The park cutting tool is set up to automatically give you the 5mm if used according to the directions.

I haven't seen enough Reynolds forks to know if they suggest something different.