PDA

View Full Version : Am I nuts? I want another bike I think.

Brons2
04-18-2005, 09:23 PM
OK, so the real reasons I am back here again:

Seems like I got pretty good advice here when I was considering a purchase last summer, so here I am again.

I'm 6'7", 260lbs (give or take 10 lbs...lol) and off the shelf bikes are not going to cut it for me, period. Although...last summer, I lucked into a never been used 66cm Cannondale CAAD3 (come to find out the frame had probably been sitting there for 10 years...) which had been built up in the spring of '04 with full Ultegra components throughout. I thought about it for a day and went back and bought it.

So this bike, for me, was really a quantum leap forward over riding my mountain bike long distances. After putting about 1500 miles on it I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I love the responsiveness of the bicycle. When you put the pedal down, it goes, no questions asked. It also has razor-sharp handling, it goes EXACTLY where I point it every time. These things are probably a function of the stiff Cannondale aluminum frame which leads to what I hate about the bike. It's a really stiff ride over long distances. After 80 miles on this bike, I am pretty beat up.

I was doing a 63 mile ride last month with a couple of guys from my club, one who was close to my heigth and weight. He said that he had previously owned a CAAD3 just like my bike but had switched to a Lightspeed. He said he could ride his Lightspeed all day and feel fresh, and that had not been the case on the Cannondale. However, he also said the bike was not as responsive when you put the pedal down. (my thoughts...yuck).

So I guess the first step is to rationalize a mutil thousand dollar purchase. Being that I am riding this bike constantly now, in fact increasing my time in the saddle every month, I think I can get over that hump.

I was just thinking and I realized that in the last 17 days I have ridden this bike 364 miles. So why not get something that is exactly right. Or is that just a pipe dream? Maybe I should just get steel bike for rough roads and ride the Cannondale on smooth roads?

The good news is, I have no timeframe to decide. When I bought my Cannondale last summer, I had instant gratification fever. I wanted to get a road bike, and I wanted to do it RIGHT THEN. Now, I'm going to take my time and explore all my options. Because I really don't know for sure which way I want to go with this.

Steel?
Titanium?
Carbon Fiber?
Some combination of the above?

Your opinions desired.

vaxn8r
04-18-2005, 09:28 PM
There was a world of difference between CAAD 3 and all subsequent generations of CDales.

You probably will want something different this time but CAAD 3 was about 1993 technology.

I find my CAAD7 plenty comfy on centuries...with Ksyrium SL's too.

Brons2
04-18-2005, 11:03 PM
There was a world of difference between CAAD 3 and all subsequent generations of CDales.

You probably will want something different this time but CAAD 3 was about 1993 technology.

I find my CAAD7 plenty comfy on centuries...with Ksyrium SL's too.

Problem is they made the CAAD3 in 66cm size, where as the subsequent generations of CAAD's only came in 63max. 63 is too small for me. I'm 6'7". I lucked out finding that 66, I'll have to go custom on my next bike. Sucks because it will drive the cost up, and I can't test ride it beforehand!

I'm not against Cannondales though, they have served me well, this is my 2nd. Other is an M500 mountain bike with upgraded components (deore LX)

chrisroph
04-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Legend, the best really big boy bike hands down.

93legendti
04-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah, a ti bike would be a nice step up. As an earlier thread pointed out, having a 2nd bike, whether a "backup" for mechanicals, or a rain bike, if you love cycling, a 2nd bike is not just a luxury.

Brons2
04-19-2005, 12:01 AM
I am pretty hooked, never thought I'd find myself saying I would have ridden my current bike over 1500 miles in the time I've had it.

So, the hardtail Ti or the one with the carbon seat stays?

93legendti
04-19-2005, 12:03 AM
My ti Serottas all have hardtails (except for the HC Cross, but still no carbon). So I can't advise you based upon first hand knowledge.

Too Tall
04-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Brons, I'm pretty sure I recall your posts a while back and congrats. on a successful purchase and getting into the sport COOL :) Hey, what's the TT length on that Cannondale? If I remember my C'dale geometry those bikes were parallel 74/74?

Anywho, I am 6'8" and 203 lbs racerwannabe. I've got an OS Ti Legend that was built to ride stiff and it is. I love the heck out of this bike however for you I'd recommend what I dearly want to own a CSI. You want to ride some distance and be comfortable and get that awesome Serotta ride stability right? A steel Serotta is the epitome of alllll that my friend.

PS - Us tall guys really need to form a club or something so we can swap bikes. What the heck?

flydhest
04-19-2005, 09:22 AM
OK,

I'm not as big as you and TooTall, but here's a thought first. What tires are you running? See how the bike works with some 28c Avocets. I seem to remember my C-dale of a slightly older vintage, had clearance for 28s. The extra air will do a fair bit for the ride without compromising anything, in my view, especially at your size. I would suggest the 28c tubulars that dugast makes, but they're crazy expensive and people have to want to get into tubulars, I reckon.

As an aside, I've heard people talking about riding all day and feeling fresh. I have no idea how this is possible short of just riding very, very slowly. I don't get stiff neck or back or whatever, but if I ride 80 miles or more in a day, I am so far from fresh (and not just the aroma). A century and I'm wiped out, I don't care what bike I'm riding.

Serotta PETE
04-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Flydhest has the more immediate and cost effective recommendation. He is a big powerful rider and this should do the trick.

If that does not meet your needs/wants, I would suggest a Ti or a CIII. Talk to Kelly first about your requirements, but I would skip the carbon combo.

Let us know how you make out.

PETE

Brons2
04-19-2005, 01:41 PM
I have a 700x28c Continental Gatorsomething tire.

I run 120psi for lower rolling resistance, which is probably part of the problem to begin with...

chrisroph
04-19-2005, 02:07 PM
just buy the new bike. You'll be happy.

William
04-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Brons2,

You got about an inch on me but we weigh about the same. Buy the most bike you can afford IN YOUR SIZE. That certainly means custom. You will not regret it. The next question is "who". I would stick to builders who have a history of building Big Boy bikes. A Legend is a good choice. But then so is Spectrum, and let's not forget Zinn. Leonard has likely built more Big rigs then the others...and they are nice.

Regardless, get some 28's and put them on the CAAD. I've been riding 28's for a number of years and there isn't a huge difference from 25's or.....yes, I'm going to say it, 23's. I switched because I got tired of pinch flats. Big Boys and rough roads don't mix well.

Happy Hunting Big Guy!

William

M_A_Martin
04-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Nope, you're not nuts.

First you get into riding, then you get a nicer bike...then you realize that perhaps a bike that really fits you might be worth persuing. I'm on the other end of the spectrum, but a custom bike is the answer to all of your questions.

And friends don't let friends buy cheap titanium, go with the Serotta.
:banana:

Climb01742
04-19-2005, 04:11 PM
kelly bedford is a magician. legend. he'll tell you ST or no. enuf said. ;)

93legendti
04-19-2005, 04:12 PM
kelly bedford is a magician. legend. he'll tell you ST or no. enuf said. ;)
Great advice. :)

coylifut
04-19-2005, 04:13 PM
spend the extra $ and get it exactly how you want it. That way, you'll be extra motivated to get your money's worth out of it. Don't pinch pennies, you'll regret it later.

Ken Robb
04-19-2005, 04:16 PM
700x28 Conti Ultragatorskins ride well at 90-100psi under my 200 lbs.
This week I saw an ad (eBay?) for 2 Rambouillet frames and forks in 68cm for $995 each. I have a 62cm that I love.

weisan
04-19-2005, 04:49 PM
This week I saw an ad (eBay?) for 2 Rambouillet frames and forks in 68cm for $995 each. I have a 62cm that I love.

Uh-Oh...one for Tall-Tall...the other one for William. Sold-Out (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7149885378)~sorry.

Brons2
04-19-2005, 06:34 PM

Rivendell has the old orange Rambouillet frames for $900 direct, unused. I already contacted them. My dad says he is interested in riding the MS150 next year, I may put a bike together for him out of a Rambo frame. He's 6'6" and 300 lbs. For myself I think I want something a little more seriously oriented towards going fast.

Brons2
04-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Uh-Oh...one for Tall-Tall...the other one for William. Sold-Out (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7149885378)~sorry.

Sold out? I'm the high bidder now. I'll take one of those too ;)
We'll see if it sticks. I'm an eBay fanatic and I've already got some 105 and Ultegra stuff sitting around the house. If I can get that frame for $800, with what I have on hand I can probably get it complete for $1100.

Off-topic: Weisan, do you ever ride with ACA?

scrooge
04-19-2005, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=Brons2]Sold out? I'm the high bidder now. I'll take one of those too ;)
We'll see if it sticks. I'm an eBay fanatic and I've already got some 105 and Ultegra stuff sitting around the house. If I can get that frame for $800, with what I have on hand I can probably get it complete for $1100.

[QUOTE]

Huh. I was hoping to pick up one of those for cheap myself. Guess that won't happen.

Incedently, I'm a big chap myself and a bit of a penny pincher as well and I decided to do my first custom with Curtlo (he's a bit of a taller guy too). Hopefully I'll be able to tell you how it turned out in a couple of weeks.

Brons2
04-20-2005, 01:03 AM
The reserve was definitely over $700...

William
04-20-2005, 06:16 AM
And friends don't let friends buy cheap titanium, go with the Serotta.

Hi MA,

Just curious since you followed my post ending with the quote above. Are you inferring that Mr. Kellogg or Mr. Zinn uses inferior/cheap Titanium?

William :)

aLexis
04-20-2005, 07:16 AM
Brons2,

I would strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with Adam Biechlin at the Bicycle Sport Shop. He is extremely knowledgable, professional, and has a lot of experience with tall riders. One of the head mechanics at the shop (Brad Brown) just replaced his Specialized Allez Comp Cromo with a custom Colorado III. You should talk to him about the difference of stock frame tubing, vs that which is custom selected for your size and style. He is recent convert and fellow clydesdale.
Cyclists in Austin are fortunate to have a town full of good bike shops, but I can say without hesitation, that Adam is the best fitter around.

Good luck,
aLexis

ps. Adam's email is adam_b at bicyclesportshop dot com

M_A_Martin
04-20-2005, 07:51 AM
No William, read the original post...

"He said that he had previously owned a CAAD3 just like my bike but had switched to a Lightspeed. He said he could ride his Lightspeed all day and feel fresh"

Lightspeeds are cheaper (in cost...) than Serottas...

William
04-20-2005, 07:57 AM
I missed the Litespeed part.

..And friends don't let friends buy cheap titanium

Got it, thanks.

William :)

weisan
04-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Sold out? I'm the high bidder now. I'll take one of those too ;)

Off-topic: Weisan, do you ever ride with ACA?

Hi Brons2, I am sorry buddy 'cos I don't know where I have been looking in the past but I just notice your "viewing area" is Austin, TX. My apologies. :D

Yes, I rode with the ACA a couple of times with my buddy Rick especially when they come close to my neighborhood in the east side of town. Those rides are fun and they add variety to my usual routes. Do you come out often? Maybe we can hook up and ride together sometimes.

So, you are looking to get a new bike or did you already bought one?
I am sorry to see the small scratch on your fork...now you know that will only get worse over time, right? It's okay bud, you will get used to it. ;)

If you do get a new bike and need some help with transferring the components over or just need some tune-ups, let me know I'll be happy to help.

regards,
weisan

Brons2
04-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I live on the east side also and like to do the ACA rides around Manor, Elgin, Pflugerville, Taylor, et al. I go out every weekend unless I'm doing a pay ride like the MS150 or Rosedale.

I got a Cannondale last summer but I'm thinking of replacing it with something a bit more compliant. Or keeping it for rides where ultimate stiffness is a virtue. I do love the responsiveness of the bike.

I'm not that worried about the asthetic properties of the scratch to my fork, I'm worried about the safety factor since I'm a big guy and the fork is carbon fiber. I'll be watching it carefully.

[edit] I'm going over to Nelo's Pro Cycles on W. Anderson tonight for the 7PM ride, that's the reason I have the road bike in my office. Usually ride the mountain bike.

[edit2] I met a guy named Rick in the Wells Fargo tent at the MS150, he also rides with ACA, he said. Wonder if that's him. Do you know George? Are you going to do the Armadillo Hill Country Classic?

weisan
04-20-2005, 05:02 PM
east side, really? Don't tell me you are living right next door to me :p

I lived off the street Northeast after you get off 290 on the Berkman exit. We should definitely hook up on the weekend and ride. On the ACA website (http://www.austincycling.org/rides.html), there are three scheduled rides this weekend. I have always wanted to do the devil's backbone. Wanna go?

These days because of my family commitments I can only ride longer distances on the weekend. Occasionally on the weekdays if time permits, I would head out and do some hill interval or LT work around Manor during lunch time.

As far as getting advice for your next bike, I would listen carefully to what Too-tall and William have to say. Those guys really know their stuff and had been dealing with exceptional body lengths all their life. :banana:

I ride a 54 Legend stock geometry and I love it! Give me a holler when you wanna ride.

weisan

weisan
04-20-2005, 05:06 PM
No, that's not him. Rick was with me on the ACA ride up at Walburg during the MS150 weekend. And I don't know who George is either. But a couple of guys in my company did the ride and they said it was fun. I didn't go because my whole family was down with a cold and I need to be with them.

Brons2
04-20-2005, 05:19 PM
I live in University Hills, up on the hill above Loyola. If you live off of Northeast Drive I'm probably no more than 2 miles away. I used to always get off at the Berkman exit and go straight but now that they have reopened the 183 exit I get off there and then take a hard right at the Mr Gattis which takes me to Geneva, then a couple more turns to Vassar.

Yeah, I'd very much like to do the Devil's Backbone. It will be a challenge to get up so early and car-top it all the way down to New Braunfels by 8, but I was getting up at 4:30 to get ready for the MS150 so it won't be that bad!

weisan
04-20-2005, 05:43 PM
I live in University Hills, up on the hill above Loyola. If you live off of Northeast Drive I'm probably no more than 2 miles away. I used to always get off at the Berkman exit and go straight but now that they have reopened the 183 exit I get off there and then take a hard right at the Mr Gattis which takes me to Geneva, then a couple more turns to Vassar.

Yeah, I'd very much like to do the Devil's Backbone. It will be a challenge to get up so early and car-top it all the way down to New Braunfels by 8, but I was getting up at 4:30 to get ready for the MS150 so it won't be that bad!

Not to digress too much from the original thread, but this is getting better and better, to meet someone who is living that close to me. Officially, the street that I live off is Creighton. It's the first left turn on Northeast from the 290 access road. Whenever I want to do a quick ride, I would wind through the neighborhood and get on Springdale, go under 183 and then turn right at old manor road. It's a quiet stretch of road with a mile-long uphill section. I started doing hill interval over there two years ago and my climbing has improved quite a bit over time.

About the ride this Sat., we can even consider carpooling and getting up there together. I have three racks on top of my car so I can easily fit your bike on it. Give me a call at work if you like (512) 374-4562.

weisan
04-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Check out how close Brons and I are living from each other, this is wild!!!
http://alicehui.com/serotta/brons2/brons2.gif

Brons2
04-20-2005, 06:18 PM
small world, eh?

on a side note, looks like my 7:00 Nelo's ride isn't going to make due to the rain :( :(

alembical
04-20-2005, 06:26 PM
http://maps.google.com/
is worth checking out. It lets you not only see the streets, but if select satellite on the upper right side, it lets you actually see a satellite picture of the house. Scary.....

Alembical

M_A_Martin
04-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Look! Another bike connection on the forum!

Congratulations kids! Let us know who wins the neighborhood Serotta crit!
:banana: