PDA

View Full Version : it's over (and he is now a MODERATOR _great day for us though!!! PETE

flydhest
09-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Summer, that is. I wore a jacket on my commute this morning.

heavy sigh

William
09-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Yes, there was a little nip in the air up here. I slipped a jacket on but I still wore shorts. I'll hold out as long as I can. :)

William

rugbysecondrow
09-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Many riders sported arm warmers for the Civil War ride this weekend...I just couldn't to it...not ready to give in yet.

wasfast
09-14-2010, 07:16 AM
You're assuming summer existed at all. This year in the PNW was the coolest I've ever seen in 52 years. We set an all time rainfall record on Sept 3 or so. Thankfully, I'm moving to San Diego in 2 weeks.

Ralph
09-14-2010, 07:17 AM
I feel the same in the air here in Central Florida. Fall is coming. Temps are down to low 80's in early AM, and humidity is down to about 55-60%. I still sweat like a pig if I wait until late morning when temps approach 90. I could handle some of your weather. With these cooler nights, it will be difficult for my solar system to keep pool water temps over 85 much longer.

We tend to get your nice weather later in the fall/winter. Every area in US has exceptionally nice weather some time during the year.

Polyglot
09-14-2010, 07:39 AM

heavy sigh

Isn't it funny how in the spring, the first day like today would have convinced you that you could finally leave your jacket home for the first day, but in the fall it is just the opposite. We do get acclimatized after a long and warm summer.

victoryfactory
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
You're assuming summer existed at all. This year in the PNW was the coolest I've ever seen in 52 years. We set an all time rainfall record on Sept 3 or so. Thankfully, I'm moving to San Diego in 2 weeks.

weather is a funny thing. Here in New York, we have had the hottest, driest
summer in memory
And being mainly a weekend warrior, I don't think we had a totally
unrideable weekend day all summer!

So, I cant complain, (about that anyway)

VF

veloduffer
09-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Here in northern NJ this past weekend, I had to wear a jacket and later switched to arm warmers for the morning ride. And I might have to start packing the full-finger gloves. But I prefer this coolness to the humidity we had this summer (causes me to cramp).

Time to break out my nice wool jerseys from Woolistic (I like the old school look)

Geoff
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
What are talking about, I raced in 105ºF on saturday. (Alabama) We wont have a break in heat in Tallahassee for another month.

G

benb
09-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Yep.. put on the tights and arm warmers last friday for the morning commute for the first time.. I don't commute much (It's >50 miles round trip) but it was 58F when I left.

Yesterday was the first time I put the jacket/tights on at lunch since the spring, although it was overkill.

Bob Ross
09-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Meh. "Rage, rage against the dying of the light!" ...but don't concede to jackets just yet! I'm in NYC and, except for one 5:00AM ride two weeks ago where I put on a long sleeved jersey, I'm still rocking short sleeves & shorts. I'll probably add knee/arm warmers for the next month or so. But jackets? No way. Not until December at least.

TMB
09-14-2010, 09:29 AM
You guys are late to the party.

Summer ended, abruptly, here three weeks ago.

I did a GranFondo on the weekend in wool undershirt, arm warmers and a goretex jacket over top, and long fingered gloves.

I was NOT too warm.

malcolm
09-14-2010, 10:30 AM
A nippy 93 today, only 91 with the wind chill.

T.J.
09-14-2010, 10:36 AM
After the summer we had (still having) with heat index in the 110 range I for one will welcome the nip in the air

PaMtbRider
09-14-2010, 10:43 AM
52 degrees this morning when I left the house for a ride. I wore knee warmers for the first time since spring. I actually really like riding this time of year. The weather is just cooling off and might soon require tights, but the lobster gloves and heavier clothing can stay packed for another month or two.

rePhil
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm jealous. 77 degrees and humid at 5:15 this morning. It will be 91 on my ride home from work.

djg
09-14-2010, 12:03 PM

heavy sigh

And . . . er . . . shorts too, right buddy?

Keith A
09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm jealous. 77 degrees and humid at 5:15 this morning. It will be 91 on my ride home from work.But the good thing is that we can ride all year long around here without too much extra clothing. However, last year's winter was an exception and there were plenty of cold days.

soul survivor
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
It's such a pleasure that Fall is upon us here in the Northeast -- nice cool air to walk, ride and sleep in. Best season of the year. :beer:

flydhest
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
And . . . er . . . shorts too, right buddy?

That's right . . . I tried it without but the chamois cream made me slide off the saddle.

As it turns out, I often wear shorts (or knickers) all the way through the winter.

67-59
09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Here in Minnesota, I can easily deal with the coolness we've had lately - around 50 degree mornings and 65-70 degree afternoons. My struggle is with the rapid loss of daylight. I have never been comfortable with nighttime riding - less-than-stellar night vision, combined with suboptimal road surfaces - so weekday rides are getting shorter and harder to come by. As it is, I've had to sneak out of work at 4:00 or 4:30 for the past week or so just to have time for 30-ish miles. Before too long, that won't even be an option, and I'll be down to weekends. :crap:

I can bundle up to keep out all but the worst of the cold, and there aren't that many days where snow or ice is really an issue. Just wish we had some semblance of reasonable daylight hours in the winter, so I could get out more often.

Charles M
09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Riiiiiiight...

I rode this afternoon...

ericspin
09-15-2010, 05:20 AM
Yeah, here in Tampa it is still quite warm but I am beginning to notice some very subtle hints of change. That's OK though, I will be SUPing in 85 degree Gulf water this weekend.

Kevan
09-15-2010, 09:31 AM
The summer 6am work day rides are over for my neighborhood gang. Too little light and the school/rush hour traffic makes for too much craziness. Leaves me with just the weekend's, where autumn riding is simply spectacular.

And so it goes.

William
09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Riiiiiiight...

I rode this afternoon...

Calling Dave Thompson! Dave Thompson to the white Forum retort phone please.

William :)

93legendti
09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
And then, depression set in....

OtayBW
09-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I have never been comfortable with nighttime riding - less-than-stellar night vision, combined with suboptimal road surfaces - so weekday rides are getting shorter and harder to come by.I've had some training with this. Friends and I used to go out every month at midnight on the night of the full moon and ride up to the Waffle house on the highway. Eating waffles dressed in full regalia with the truckers - always an interesting event!

Keith A
09-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, here in Tampa it is still quite warm but I am beginning to notice some very subtle hints of change. That's OK though, I will be SUPing in 85 degree Gulf water this weekend.I too noticed that it was a little cooler on my commute in to work today. So I wonder how many of our fellow Serotta fans know what SUPing is :D BTW, I plan on riding some hurricane surf this weekend...but not on a SUP.

SEABREEZE
09-15-2010, 02:08 PM

A dreadful last winter, not even enough snow for the olympics dreadful .

Opposites working against each other.

flydhest
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I too noticed that it was a little cooler on my commute in to work today. So I wonder how many of our fellow Serotta fans know what SUPing is :D BTW, I plan on riding some hurricane surf this weekend...but not on a SUP.

I'll bite . . . SUP . . . ***? SVP, as the French would say.

SEABREEZE
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Here in northern NJ this past weekend, I had to wear a jacket and later switched to arm warmers for the morning ride. And I might have to start packing the full-finger gloves. But I prefer this coolness to the humidity we had this summer (causes me to cramp).

Time to break out my nice wool jerseys from Woolistic (I like the old school look)

Cant beat Campmor on Rt 17 for those nice warm cloths...

Keith A
09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
I'll bite . . . SUP . . . ***? SVP, as the French would say.Stand Up Paddle surfboard. The are much larger (wider, thicker and longer) than a regular longboard which allows you to stand up on the board without a wave pushing you. You use a paddle to move the board rather than lying prone on it and paddling with your hands.

http://www.surfingsports.com/images/standup_so_cutback.jpg

flydhest
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM
very cool.

SEABREEZE
09-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Here in Minnesota, I can easily deal with the coolness we've had lately - around 50 degree mornings and 65-70 degree afternoons. My struggle is with the rapid loss of daylight. I have never been comfortable with nighttime riding - less-than-stellar night vision, combined with suboptimal road surfaces - so weekday rides are getting shorter and harder to come by. As it is, I've had to sneak out of work at 4:00 or 4:30 for the past week or so just to have time for 30-ish miles. Before too long, that won't even be an option, and I'll be down to weekends. :crap:

I can bundle up to keep out all but the worst of the cold, and there aren't that many days where snow or ice is really an issue. Just wish we had some semblance of reasonable daylight hours in the winter, so I could get out more often.

Come on 67-56, you guys are in the land of the midnight sun :D

William
09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Stand Up Paddle surfboard. The are much larger (wider, thicker and longer) than a regular longboard which allows you to stand up on the board without a wave pushing you. You use a paddle to move the board rather than lying prone on it and paddling with your hands.

http://www.surfingsports.com/images/standup_so_cutback.jpg

And on land to....

William :)

Pete Serotta
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM

heavy sigh

THANKS for joining AND THE WINE IS WAITING FOR YOU!!!!

PETE

Keith A
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I guess this would be Stand Up and Push...except that is always what you do on a skateboard :rolleyes:

spamjoshua
09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
They are on lake tahoe every day, and even on the Truckee river.

I understand its a great core workout. I would prefer to have some surf. :)

Laird Hamilton is known to paddle from one island to another in HI.

pdmtong
09-15-2010, 05:22 PM
SUPing is a lot fun...but just like cycling, you need some speed for stability.
Hella core workout, as noted. The guys SUPing in waves...huge talent there....

Note...carbon fiber paddle = $400

bironi
09-15-2010, 06:12 PM

The light is what we miss here during the winter also. We bitch and moan all winter long.

Byron