PDA

View Full Version : cross tires

fogrider
09-12-2010, 11:07 PM
do you use the same tires on the front as on the rear? what tire and size do you use?

rockdude
09-13-2010, 06:46 AM
I use the same tire front/back.

Grifo clincher- training
Grifo Tubular- 32mm General conditions
Tufo Tubular- 32mm When durability is an issue
Dugust Rhino Tubular-32mm slippy and heavy mud
FMB Grifo XL PRO Tubular- 32mm snow and slop and lose
FMB Sprint PRO Tubular- 34mm Grass and Sand

FastVegan
09-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Most midwest races are dry with grass, I use;

grifo 32 tubulars for training\racing when it is smooth
grifo 34 tubulars for training\racing when very bumpy
grifo xs 32 for flat, grass\ pavement only

I know some guys mix and match tires, I try to adjust pressure from front to rear.
Good luck
Dave

danielpack22@ma
09-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Challenge Fango 32 - Wet and muddy
Challenge Grifo 32 - General purpose
Kenda Small Block 8 - Dry

All clinchers. I haven't had the nerve to try tubies yet.... :rolleyes:

Same front and back.

xeladragon
09-16-2010, 09:09 AM
challenge grifo 32 clincher.

alembical
09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I use clinchers for training and about 50/50 on racing. I really like the Mud2 for most of our races, even non-muddy ones. I also use Challenge Grifo, Maxxis Raze, and Kenda Small Block 8's occassionaly. I almost always use a a Mud2 or Grifo on front.

Only tubulars I use are Challenge Grifo in 30, because that is all I have.

djg
09-16-2010, 12:02 PM
I've used Grifo and Fango (from Challenge and from FMB -- his tire with the Fango tread) for general use -- both 32 and 34. No particular plan for varying front and rear tires mostly, although given mixed width tires I guess I've tended to use the 34 in the rear.

Looking for a tire option for really muddy days.

For commuting to work during cross season -- mostly road with a detour onto the grass -- I've been using the challenge file tread tire in a clincher.

shorelocal
09-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Same tire front and rear ... Challenge tubies as of last year and love 'em.

Bruce K
09-17-2010, 04:43 AM
Challenge Grifo in dry
Challenge Fango in damp, loose, or light mud.
Clement Crusade PDX for very muddy conditions.

All clinchers on HED Bastogne C2 rims.

BK

acorn_user
09-17-2010, 09:30 AM
In Virginia, Grifo 32 tubs were what I used most of the time. For the mud/snow bath in Charlottesville, a friend let me use his Schwalbe Racing Ralph tubulars. They were amazing. So much grip! I'm not a superb bike handler, and I do feel the Grifo lacks a little grip on wet grass (which we have lots of!). I have also used Schwalbe Fast Fred clinchers and Grifo clinchers, both of which have been ok.

weatherman
09-17-2010, 09:39 AM
I will buck the trend of Grifos, but wow, gotta say I'm impressed to see the following this tire has, maybe I need to try a set.

Same tire front/rear for me--Specialized Captain CX Pro (34)

PaMtbRider
09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
I mounted a set of Ritchey Speedmax Pro 700 x35 last night. I thought my thumbs were going to be bleeding by the time I got them on. Rims are Specialized Rovals that came on my Crux.

fogrider
09-18-2010, 02:34 AM
interesting that no one uses tufo?

rockdude
09-18-2010, 06:43 AM
I use them. They are the best made and most durable tubie in the bunch, for me. I just like some of the other tread pattern for certain conditions.

acorn_user
09-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm going to get some TUFO Cubus tyres this year :)

uriani
09-18-2010, 02:41 PM
I have used challenge and tufo tuubulars for racing, but after two punctures two races in a row on challenge, I'm going back to tufo because they are much more durable. this is because they do not use tubes and as such when used with their sealant, are much like a tubeless mtb set up. for training or racing clinchers panaracer cross blasters (31mm) are fast and good all round tires. the panaracer cinder cross are great for rocky/bumpy terrain, but due to bigger knobs and 35mm size a little slower/more rolling resistance. In muddy conditions the Michelin Muds are awesome.

c-record
09-18-2010, 02:43 PM
interesting that no one uses tufo?

I'm on Flexus Primus and Flexus Cubus. I like them, durable and they stay together as well as being flat resistant. I've had good luck with them.

mtb_frk
09-18-2010, 03:57 PM
I used my FMB Gripos today in the mud and they did really good. I sucked, but the tires worked great.

akelman
09-18-2010, 04:07 PM
That Moots is smokin' hot, weatherman. For some reason, a Moots is the only frame that really works for me in naked Ti any more. I wonder if it's because the stickers are relatively subtle. Regardless, that's an absolutely beautiful bike. (It goes without saying that the preceding is entirely a matter of personal preference and shouldn't be read as an indictment of your naked Ti frame, which is also lovely, though to my eye could maybe use a coat or two of paint.)