PDA

View Full Version : Campag-pedal insert problem-thoughts?

rustychisel
09-12-2010, 09:58 PM
The story do far: my partner's bike runs Record Carbon 10 speed, including compact (50~34) carbon cranks, about 2007 square taper model. I've spent a couple of months trying to isolate and eliminate an annoying creak (aren't they all?) which included all the usual stripdowns and rebuilds. Imagine my surprise on Friday evening when I pulled her pedals off the crankarms and discovered the drive side alloy pedal insert (in carbon crank) was rotating about 30º within the crank.

Bike is fastidiously maintained, pedals have never been over-torqued, cranks were bought new, installed in 2007 or 08 (I think, I'll check), never subject to pedal strike etc, and she is not a high power rider, I think she may have ridden 4000km max on them.

My questions: Have you heard of this model being susceptible? Is this failure common enough? Is this a warranty claim? Should I just suck it up? What are Campagnolo like in such instances, or is that in the hands of their local agent?

AndrewS
09-13-2010, 12:49 AM
It certainly sounds like a warranty claim. Do you have some sort of proof of purchase with the dealer you bought it from? I imagine those would be pretty expensive to replace.

I have not run across this kind of failure from Campy, so it is probably not very common.

rustychisel
09-13-2010, 01:35 AM
thanks Andrew,

they were bought online from a reputable seller to bring the bike to the SO's requirements, replacing standard Record cranks with Compacts, and yes, I have receipts etc for what is indeed a costly enough item.

A search online brings up some instances (not what I would call a statistical glut) and one mention of problems with 'earlier models', FWIW.

AngryScientist
09-13-2010, 06:28 AM
i've heard of this problem with FSA cranks, but never campagnolo carbon.

please keep us posted as to what campy has to say about this.

oldpotatoe
09-13-2010, 07:46 AM
The story do far: my partner's bike runs Record Carbon 10 speed, including compact (50~34) carbon cranks, about 2007 square taper model. I've spent a couple of months trying to isolate and eliminate an annoying creak (aren't they all?) which included all the usual stripdowns and rebuilds. Imagine my surprise on Friday evening when I pulled her pedals off the crankarms and discovered the drive side alloy pedal insert (in carbon crank) was rotating about 30º within the crank.

Bike is fastidiously maintained, pedals have never been over-torqued, cranks were bought new, installed in 2007 or 08 (I think, I'll check), never subject to pedal strike etc, and she is not a high power rider, I think she may have ridden 4000km max on them.

My questions: Have you heard of this model being susceptible? Is this failure common enough? Is this a warranty claim? Should I just suck it up? What are Campagnolo like in such instances, or is that in the hands of their local agent?

Warranty and not that uncommon. Go see a shop that 'qui si parla Campagnolo. I have warrantied this very problem about 3 times..no problem. 3 year warranty tho.