PDA

View Full Version : Easton EC90 SL Clincher - any users out there?

rinconryder
09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? They get good reviews but I saw a review on roadbike review that looked grim - the tire potentially blowing off the bead? No bueno.

Want to know if that is happening to anyone else. Thanks.

oldguy00
09-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Waiting for a set to arrive.
I read that review as well. But I've been researching them since the winter, and that is pretty much the only negative review of any kind that I've found.
I can only assume that buddy had a defective rim, or somehow damaged it himself..
If that were really a problem, you'd think you would have heard a lot more complaints by now.

rinconryder
09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Would you mind PMing me your thoughts after you take them for a few spins?

regularguy412
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
No experience with the clincher, but the tubies sure are nice :D

Waiting for a replacement for a broken spoke, tho. :crap:

When ya use stuff, stuff happens.

Still a pleased purchaser.

Mike in AR:beer:

R2D2
09-13-2010, 01:55 AM
No experience with the clincher, but the tubies sure are nice :D

Waiting for a replacement for a broken spoke, tho. :crap:

When ya use stuff, stuff happens.

Still a pleased purchaser.

Mike in AR:beer:

I just starting riding some EC90 SLX tubulars. Very happy withy them.
Most Esaton carbon gear I've used is top notch. The hubs should be the same as the EC90 carbon clincers. FWIW Easton updated the bearing preload adjustment mechanism. The older versions where adjusted by hand and were not too esaily to adjust. The new ones have a cone wrench flat for adjustment.
A quick call to Easton and they'll send the new adjesters.

I'm also instereted in odlpotato's impressions as carbon clincers are my wish lst for training wheels.

dimsy
09-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I was refraining from posting as my experience on these is very limited. I tried a pair for a short ride about 5 miles. they feel amazing! the only complaint I had was the braking power, it definitely left something to be desired, but then again I hear this a lot for carbon wheels and it was my first time riding a pair. (i run a pair of easton ea90 slx).

hope that helps at all.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I just starting riding some EC90 SLX tubulars. Very happy withy them.
Most Esaton carbon gear I've used is top notch. The hubs should be the same as the EC90 carbon clincers. FWIW Easton updated the bearing preload adjustment mechanism. The older versions where adjusted by hand and were not too esaily to adjust. The new ones have a cone wrench flat for adjustment.
A quick call to Easton and they'll send the new adjesters.

I'm also instereted in odlpotato's impressions as carbon clincers are my wish lst for training wheels.

Considering the price, the necessity to replace bearings in these wheels(teeny, become corrupted easily, along with lots of others, like Zipp/sram), the weight, I think there are better choices for 'training' wheels out there.

As a bike shop owner and ling time wheelbuilder, go see a good wheelbuilder and have him design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs.

Most likely-better hubset(shimano/Campagnolo/DT/White), same weight, use off the shelf components, rims/spokes that allow use of the hub for a long time, more reliable(previous poster says he loves his Easton wheels but is wainting for a spoke-that speaks volumes), and probably cheaper.

I am an equal opportunity offender with wheelsouttaboxes. Some are 'better' than others, like shimano, Campagnolo/Fulcrum, only because they use really nice hubs but suffer from the same malady as other wheelsouttaboxes. Unique to that wheel parts and low reliability, but better hubs. I see shimano wheels with broken spokes all the time, same for Easton. I overhaul mavic rear hubs frequently. Why Mavic, on $1000++ wheels insist on their really poor FTS rear hub is a mystery to me(not really, it's cheap to produce).

At least Easton uses standard bearings. AC, with unique to those wheels, bearings, make service difficult.

oldguy00
09-14-2010, 08:17 AM
As a bike shop owner and ling time wheelbuilder, go see a good wheelbuilder and have him design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs.

That's pretty much been the standard answer for years...
The problem is that those wheels are boring.
Yup, they are. Yup, they are probably more reliable, and more repairable. But they are boring, don't look as nice, and they don't feel as lively as a light carbon wheel.

I've built several sets of 'standard' wheels as well, and have ridden many. They ride well, are reliable, and....boring.

If my main concern was to get a wheelset that would last 10+ years, then yeah, I'd go with the type of wheel you suggested........

thwart
09-14-2010, 08:40 AM
I dunno...

Wheelbuilders can use carbon rims, if that's what stirs your drink.

My fave wheels, 1400 gram clinchers with WI hubs, Kinlin superlight alloy rims and Sapim CX-ray spokes are not boring... thanks.

Marketing. A very powerful tool.

oldpotatoe
09-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Yup, they are. Yup, they are probably more reliable, and more repairable. But they are boring, don't look as nice, and they don't feel as lively as a light carbon wheel.

I've built several sets of 'standard' wheels as well, and have ridden many. They ride well, are reliable, and....boring.

If my main concern was to get a wheelset that would last 10+ years, then yeah, I'd go with the type of wheel you suggested........

Well, a carbon clincher isn't any lighter than a well designed aluminum rim based clincher wheel BUT

Whatever blows your skirt up but sorry, I am of the 'bike is there to get you there' school. Where the object of the ride is the ride. Boring to me is a good thing, the bike should disappear beneath you, having been overcome with the joy of the ride but if ya like the whizbang, marketed, big decal type wheels..groovy.

R2D2
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Considering the price, the necessity to replace bearings in these wheels(teeny, become corrupted easily, along with lots of others, like Zipp/sram), the weight, I think there are better choices for 'training' wheels out there.

Most likely-better hubset(shimano/Campagnolo/DT/White), same weight, use off the shelf components, rims/spokes that allow use of the hub for a long time, more reliable(previous poster says he loves his Easton wheels but is wainting for a spoke-that speaks volumes), and probably cheaper.

I am an equal opportunity offender with wheelsouttaboxes. Some are 'better' than others, like shimano, Campagnolo/Fulcrum, only because they use really nice hubs but suffer from the same malady as other wheelsouttaboxes. Unique to that wheel parts and low reliability, but better hubs. I see shimano wheels with broken spokes all the time, same for Easton. I overhaul mavic rear hubs frequently. Why Mavic, on $1000++ wheels insist on their really poor FTS rear hub is a mystery to me(not really, it's cheap to produce).

At least Easton uses standard bearings. AC, with unique to those wheels, bearings, make service difficult.

Thanks...........
I've got plenty of alloy wheels and good hubs dating back to 1970's.
Everything breaks. I'm lazy and get tired off changing pads all the times.
Here are my thoughts.
Mavic : Freehub just plain sucks. Get rid of the bushing.Spokes a pain to get
Easton: Never busted a spoke ever. At least they are using straight pull spokes. The double threaded spokes were not so good. Very good freehub.
Campagnolo/Fulcrum : Hard to get new boutique spokes when needed.
Campagnolo Open Pro's : Pretty bullet proof but no real advance over Nuevo Record or Super Record from 70's 80's.
Zipp Early rims fraagile and hubs just OK.Freehub good.

Mostly I ride tubulars. If I can pick up some Eastons on the cheap I'll may give em a go.

Idris Icabod
09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
I've got a pair and I'm in Tucson if you want to drop by (I assume you are). I really like them, braking isn't as good as aluminium rims but other than that the bearings are smooth, they are really round, so ideal for cycling and simply by turning the bars the bike goes in the desired direction. Not sure what else to add.

SoCalSteve
09-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I find "standard" hand built wheels to be boring as well. And, I have owned and ridden many, many sets over the years.

I love my Reynolds carbon wheel sets. I have 3 sets for the 3 road bikes I own. Not boring at all.

And yeah, carbon wheels ride better, smoother, less vibration and are faster (even though I am not fast). And, they look oh so sexy!

YMMV

T.J.
09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm with oldspud on this one. Leave the carbon goodness for race days. Everyday is CK hubs / open pros

rinconryder
09-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I've got a pair and I'm in Tucson if you want to drop by (I assume you are). I really like them, braking isn't as good as aluminium rims but other than that the bearings are smooth, they are really round, so ideal for cycling and simply by turning the bars the bike goes in the desired direction. Not sure what else to add.

haha. yeah, round is good. not from the area, but thank you for the offer. think I will give them a run, see how it goes.