PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down Alpha-Q fork with insert in place

Jeff N.
09-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I recently scored a sweet used Lynskey Level 4 Custom Ti frame. The fork is an Alpha-Q with a way-too-long steerer that requires a bunch of spacers. The long aluminum insert is already glued in, but I wanted to cut some steerer off and was wondering if that would be OK, knowing how long that insert is. Would that be a no-no? Jeff N.

Dave
09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
There can be a limit to how much can be removed. Some of the aluminum tubes had an enlarged ID near the bottom. If the star nut is driven down into this aea, it will have nothing to grab on to. If the tube is the same diameter all the way down, then there is no limit.

The other issue can be a tube that was installed improperly to start with. The tube is supposed to extend down below the bottom edge of the upper headset bearing. Not all users understood this and some installed them with so much steering tube length that the tube did not extend as low as intended. Those installations could result in the steering tube breaking off above the upper headset bearing.

Jeff N.
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I do believe it insert extends below that area, knowing how long the insert is to begin with. I'm thinkin' you gotta saw through the circumference of the carbon steerer first, then go through the aluminum insert with a regular hack saw. Correct? Jeff N.

Dave
09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
That would be good idea. I always saw around the tube to insure that I get no splintering, rather than sawing from top to bottom. I assemble the bike as I intend to ride it, then scribe a line around the top of the stem (or the spacer on top of the stem), then make the cut just below that line, so there's a 1-2mm gap between the steerer and top cap.

I've read a number of reports where people tried to add several measurements to get the proper steering tube length, but left something out, like the stem stack height or spacers and cut the tube too short.

tuscanyswe
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Ah interesting.

I just scored a frame with alpha q with abit long steerer aswell.
Thanks for tips!

Jeff N.
09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
That would be good idea. I always saw around the tube to insure that I get no splintering, rather than sawing from top to bottom. I assemble the bike as I intend to ride it, then scribe a line around the top of the stem (or the spacer on top of the stem), then make the cut just below that line, so there's a 1-2mm gap between the steerer and top cap.

I've read a number of reports where people tried to add several measurements to get the proper steering tube length, but left something out, like the stem stack height or spacers and cut the tube too short.
Yep, that's pretty much the way I do it. I try for 2-3mm, no more. Thanks a bunch! Jeff N.

A1CKot
09-12-2010, 06:02 PM
I think this should help. This is straight from Alpha website.

"Q: Can I resize my carbon steerer fork after the insert has been installed?
A: Yes, you can remove up to 2 cm of steerer after the installation of the insert."

Alpha Forks (http://www.truetemper.com/performance_tubing/faq.asp#FAQ5)

Jeff N.
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I think this should help. This is straight from Alpha website.

"Q: Can I resize my carbon steerer fork after the insert has been installed?
A: Yes, you can remove up to 2 cm of steerer after the installation of the insert."

Alpha Forks (http://www.truetemper.com/performance_tubing/faq.asp#FAQ5)
Didn't notice that on the website. Thanks for pointing that out!
PS: How're things in Minot? Gets kinda cold there in winter, so I used to hear when I was in the USAF. I was at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, among other locales.

Peter P.
09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Help me understand something about Alpha-Q forks.

You mean to tell me once the insert is glued in, it's not removable to say, use the fork in a differently sized frame?

Jeff N.
09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Once the aluminum sleeve insert is epoxied in, it's there to say, unless it somehow comes loose, which ain't likely. The sleeve is to allow the use of a small starnut, but the sleeve is quite long, allowing it to be cut to size later, if you need to shorten it....at least that's my conclusion, based on the discussion we're having here now. Jeff N.

A1CKot
09-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Didn't notice that on the website. Thanks for pointing that out!
PS: How're things in Minot? Gets kinda cold there in winter, so I used to hear when I was in the USAF. I was at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, among other locales.

Glad to help. Things up here are fair as of now. This will be my first winter here so... I've only heard the stories an oh yeah I work flight line. I'm from Chicago so I'm thinking I will be ok but one of the kids I work with has never been outside Texas until now. But I am really hoping I'm only here for a short time, I want to go over seas really bad, or that I'm here for the next deployment to Guam. Other than that the Air Force is treating me really well. I just wish I did ROTC when I was in college instead of joining other organizations. Thanks for asking and I'd love to here some stories if you get some free time.

Also I will definitely post some updates as winter starts to set in. I'm going to see how long I can keep riding out doors. :rolleyes:

Jeff N.
09-12-2010, 08:15 PM
You see my problem...waaaay too many spacers. Jeff N.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6218/img1223y.jpg (http://img837.imageshack.us/i/img1223y.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Jeff N.
09-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Glad to help. Things up here are fair as of now. This will be my first winter here so... I've only heard the stories an oh yeah I work flight line. I'm from Chicago so I'm thinking I will be ok but one of the kids I work with has never been outside Texas until now. But I am really hoping I'm only here for a short time, I want to go over seas really bad, or that I'm here for the next deployment to Guam. Other than that the Air Force is treating me really well. I just wish I did ROTC when I was in college instead of joining other organizations. Thanks for asking and I'd love to here some stories if you get some free time.

Also I will definitely post some updates as winter starts to set in. I'm going to see how long I can keep riding out doors. :rolleyes:
I was in Guam for 6 months loading bombs on B-52's, back when tricky Dick decided to bomb the hell out of Hanoi Harbor to bring North Vietnam to it's knees. Worked out real well. :crap: Jeff N.

AndrewS
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
So, can the mini star nut be removed, or do you just cut below it and reset?

Jeff, if you can't cut as much off as you like, you could always leave a spacer above the stem.

Cool bike. The forum could use a Lynskey ride report (hint, hint).

R2D2
09-13-2010, 02:13 AM

Another way to avoid splintering is to add a wrap of tape around the area to cut. Then use Park guide and a high tooth count hacksaw blade.

thwart
09-13-2010, 05:53 AM
I glued one in this winter... didn't measure it beforehand, but I'm sure it was at least 2.5 inches in length. Used it to replace a Kestrel carbon fork w/steel steerer. I was pleasantly surprised to note the difference in the balance of the bike with the change from a steel to carbon steerer tube (but it's important to note this is a Peg with a longish head tube...). Especially noticeable when out of the saddle.

Lost 1/2 a pound.

Yep, once that's glued in, it's there permanently.

cmg
09-13-2010, 08:45 AM
the insert is glued in place to prevent the stem from crushing the steerer. if you notice the steerer is a bit thin. you could also break off the star nut that's in place and insert one further down the sleeve but keep in mind that the insert function is to provide a solid place for the stem to clamp on to, so if the stem is clamping below the insert it might not be as solid as you hoped.

Jeff N.
09-13-2010, 08:48 AM
So, can the mini star nut be removed, or do you just cut below it and reset?

Jeff, if you can't cut as much off as you like, you could always leave a spacer above the stem.

Cool bike. The forum could use a Lynskey ride report (hint, hint).
Sure, I'll get to the ride report after I get this fork thing straightened out and subsequent build-up. It'll get DA-7900 and the pictured Mavic K-10 wheelset.