PDA

View Full Version : BRAVO SEROTTA, or may I also say its about time

Smiley
09-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Finally Mike Lopez gets a chance to shine. Have you all noticed the lack of aftermarket carbon forks anymore.

New Flash :banana:

http://www.serotta.com/news-events/36/Details/

I applaud Serotta for this timely move. Bravo

Good job to our own Carbon Serotta Mike Lopez

kong79
09-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I guess a 1" threaded was too much to hope for.

Smiley
09-12-2010, 12:18 PM
they are not going back to steel steerer tubes :)

BumbleBeeDave
09-12-2010, 12:46 PM

. . . Ben and Stan have to devote company resources to developing products that will sell in sufficient quantities to make a profit.

That's what it's all about for a company the size of Serotta these days. This is not different from any other company in this size demographic. They don't have the personnel or the capital to carry loss leader type products just to be able to say they have them available.

Sure it would be nice if they did have a the CSI or 1" threaded forks available on an "as ordered" basis, but I can't believe that it's profitable to A) keep employees on payroll specifically for these skills or B) to take employees away from filling orders for more profitable products. It would be akin to GM saying they're going to keep all the molds, etc, and some employees around just in case somebody wants to order a '65 Impala. Could they do it? Sure. would they remain in business very long? Nope . . .

BBD

victoryfactory
09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
These will undoubtedly be some of the best forks available,
based on the track record of Mr Lopez and his team (ouzo pro)
But made in USA makes them way expensive.

There seems to be a void in the high end after market fork
biz, this should do the trick. After all, the Seven, IF, Kirk, Bedford, Ellis etc.
buyers need forks too (if they don't go with steel)

Good Luck!

VF

woolly
09-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Nice to see another high-quality option in the fender-clearance category.

Ken Robb
09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
when I click on "FORKS" on the Serotta site I see 1" F3 and S3 forks listed.

Lifelover
09-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Very Cool. I wonder if the cross fork will be available in a disc version?

soulspinner
09-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Whats an F4? :confused: Never mind, saw it on the forks page................

Brian Smith
09-13-2010, 05:33 PM
. . . Ben and Stan have to devote company resources to developing products that will sell in sufficient quantities to make a profit.

That's what it's all about for a company the size of Serotta these days. This is not different from any other company in this size demographic. They don't have the personnel or the capital to carry loss leader type products just to be able to say they have them available.

Sure it would be nice if they did have a the CSI or 1" threaded forks available on an "as ordered" basis, but I can't believe that it's profitable to A) keep employees on payroll specifically for these skills or B) to take employees away from filling orders for more profitable products. It would be akin to GM saying they're going to keep all the molds, etc, and some employees around just in case somebody wants to order a '65 Impala. Could they do it? Sure. would they remain in business very long? Nope . . .

BBD

Dave,

While the supportive stance of your response here is very appreciated, I'll have to disagree with you. I think what drives new product decisions has much more to do with "What's Awesome," and "What's New and Exciting," than "What will sell in sufficient quantities to make a profit."

If you believe your company's product is exciting and awesome, and you are the person selling it, then if you are respected by your buyers, the product sales will happen, regardless of whatever product mix another outfit sells. Making a mint selling something you don't believe in is often much less an attractive option than offering something perhaps less common but that which you do believe in.

Smiley, you might be interested in the FB forks that have been shipping for the past few months; they're made for Medium Reach brakes and have a fender mounting boss at the dropout...

dvs cycles
09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Whats an F4? :confused: Never mind, saw it on the forks page................Saw it too. 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 tapered?
Does that fit any serotta models?

54ny77
09-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Seriously, Serotta offers this as an aftermarket product? Where can I find this fork? I literally would have bought one a few months ago if it was available. Never even heard of it, nor do I see it anywhere on the website. :crap:

Smiley, you might be interested in the FB forks that have been shipping for the past few months; they're made for Medium Reach brakes and have a fender mounting boss at the dropout...

Smiley
09-13-2010, 06:13 PM
"Smiley, you might be interested in the FB forks that have been shipping for the past few months; they're made for Medium Reach brakes and have a fender mounting boss at the dropout..."

Brian I am already ahead of you on this one, really interested in this EXACT fork :)

When will we see details and launch dates please?

happycampyer
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Seriously, Serotta offers this as an aftermarket product? Where can I find this fork? I literally would have bought one a few months ago if it was available. Never even heard of it, nor do I see it anywhere on the website. :crap:This will be on my Strada Bianca for sure!

Bravo, Serotta, indeed!

BumbleBeeDave
09-13-2010, 07:41 PM
. . . but in my mind, whether you are passionate about it or not, the bottom line is just that. If you don't offer enough of what people want to buy then you will go out of business. Not enough people want to buy CSI's or 1" threaded forks anymore. Not nearly enough people for a company the size of Serotta to invest resources in keeping those products available.

BBD

Dave,

While the supportive stance of your response here is very appreciated, I'll have to disagree with you. I think what drives new product decisions has much more to do with "What's Awesome," and "What's New and Exciting," than "What will sell in sufficient quantities to make a profit."

If you believe your company's product is exciting and awesome, and you are the person selling it, then if you are respected by your buyers, the product sales will happen, regardless of whatever product mix another outfit sells. Making a mint selling something you don't believe in is often much less an attractive option than offering something perhaps less common but that which you do believe in.

54ny77
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
here's the meat of the discussion, and what i'm really interested in since alpha q forks for fenders have gone the way of glazed donuts at a fat farm...

it's the text of an email i got from serotta today on the subject of forks that'll work with fenders (which is what i care about)--and thanks brian for the follow up. hope you don't mind my posting this:

"I posted a response on a forum post last night regarding our forks. In the CNC shop and with Pat, I've been calling those forks "FB"s. Lots of small Frame Builders ("FB"s) could be interested in designing frames around those forks.

As far as specifications on the fork are concerned, I have some: The "axle to crown race" length of the forks are 381mm, as opposed to the F3/S3 lengths of 372mm. The fork is designed to work with brakes that have a reach length of 47-57mm. Shimano and Tektro, as well as a couple of others, offer brakes in that range. The dropouts have a mounting spot for a single M5 metric bolt. The fork will accommodate a 700x28c tire, and would also have room to fit a smaller road racing tire with a fender. It can be made with 6.5, 8.5, or 10.5 carbon."

Avispa
09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Saw it too. 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 tapered?
Does that fit any serotta models?

Yes, the MeiVici AE.

..A..

spartacus
09-15-2010, 05:13 AM
All things come to he who waits!
That's the end of my Wound Up flirtation.

dvs cycles
09-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes, the MeiVici AE.

..A..Thanks. I forgot to look closely at that one. :beer:

spartacus
09-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Very Cool. I wonder if the cross fork will be available in a disc version?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

spartacus
09-23-2010, 07:47 AM
What is an "FB" fork?

So does this fork announcement hint at the possibility that Serotta is considering making rear carbon seat stay assemblies with clearance for fatter tires? Imagine, an Ottrottish type of frame with space for tires of a more useful size.

Has anyone the scuttlebutt on new frame ideas coming out of the factory?

Sparts.

PacNW2Ford
09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
All things come to he who waits!
That's the end of my Wound Up flirtation.

But the Wound Up will take a 28mm tire WITH a 40mm fender. But the new S fork definitely fills a need vacated by the Alpha-Q CS25.

happycampyer
09-24-2010, 04:46 AM
What is an "FB" fork? ...See post #16 above.

srenda
09-24-2010, 06:56 AM
"Has anyone the scuttlebutt on new frame ideas coming out of the factory?"

Such as?

spartacus
09-24-2010, 08:14 AM
"Has anyone the scuttlebutt on new frame ideas coming out of the factory?"

Such as?

Am I basking on echo beach? :) :beer: