PDA

View Full Version : Cross brakes

93legendti
09-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I have Cane Creek sxc-5 brakes on my Hors Cat CX. I would like to put fat, Mich 25c Krylion tires on the bike. Problem is the rear brake really doesn't adjust down enough to contact the rim 100%-it doesn't feel like it, but it sure looks like the brake will rub the tire.

Can anyone suggest a cx brake with a greater range of adjustment?

fourflys
09-12-2010, 09:24 AM
I have Cane Creek sxc-5 brakes on my Hors Cat CX. I would like to put fat, Mich 25c Krylion tires on the bike. Problem is the rear brake really doesn't adjust down enough to contact the rim 100%-it doesn't feel like it, but it sure looks like the brake will rub the tire.

Can anyone suggest a cx brake with a greater range of adjustment?

TRP's? Paul's?

jeo99
09-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Adam,
The older "Post-Type" of canti's such as the older XTR's or XT's have a much larger adjustment. They are oldie's but goodie's. I use them on a couple of CX and Touring bikes.

:beer:

Dekonick
09-12-2010, 09:36 AM
I have a set of Paul canti's that I am going to sell. Ill sell them for what I paid (on the forum) as I am having my custom set up to use Paul RACER braze on brakes - so these won't work for me.

If you are interested, PM me. These are in Very good condition, I just don't have a frame to use them with as Smiley convinced me to go with the Racers. Paul brakes are awesome!

AndrewS
09-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi, I have no recommendations, but I'm really curious about the problem. I looked at images a the SCX-5 and Krylion and I'm assuming that the corner of the brake body, where it bends from vertical to 45 degree, is what's going to touch the tire.

If that's right, does the frame have especially wide cantilever mounts, or is the rim narrower than normal. I'm just kind of amazed that a brake designed for cross bikes and touring won't work for exactly that.

BTW, the last time I remember really loving the way a pair of cantilevers set up and braked, it was early '90s DX/XT, like these:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114997&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=8be98f1d5a525100a1a643dbc7c6de28

AndrewS
09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I was just looking at this:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114997&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=8be98f1d5a525100a1a643dbc7c6de28

Have you tried reversing the pad 3 and 6mm pad mounting washers to bring the pads closer to the rim?

93legendti
09-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Adam,
The older "Post-Type" of canti's such as the older XTR's or XT's have a much larger adjustment. They are oldie's but goodie's. I use them on a couple of CX and Touring bikes.

:beer:
Good tip. Thanks buddy.
I have a set of Paul canti's that I am going to sell. Ill sell them for what I paid (on the forum) as I am having my custom set up to use Paul RACER braze on brakes - so these won't work for me.

If you are interested, PM me. These are in Very good condition, I just don't have a frame to use them with as Smiley convinced me to go with the Racers. Paul brakes are awesome!
I have a set of Paul's too-I might try them.

I was just looking at this:

Have you tried reversing the pad 3 and 6mm pad mounting washers to bring the pads closer to the rim?
Thanks. I'll try that.