PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11 speed chain

CNY rider
09-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Wanted to ask for updates on what people are doing to install Campy 11 speed chains at home.
Anyone put many miles on the Superlink X11.2 yet? Looks like a nice way to go but my experience with the prior model links, on 10 speed Campy chains is that they get clunky if not kept perfectly clean and lubed at all times.

Otherwise thinking about the Campy tool or adding the Park rivet peening tool. I share Alton Brown's aversion to unitaskers so something about the Park is turning me off.....the price of the Campy tool has the same effect. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Dave
09-12-2010, 09:26 AM
KMC has just come out with their 11 speed chain and master link. The link may be hard to find, but it should be a good alternative to other links.

I bought the Campy tool back in November of '08 and paid about $140 for it. Of course it works flawlessly, but the park peening tool should work adequately.

I've also used a KMC master link that's made to fit a Campy 10 chain. The fit is sloppy, but it doesn't make any noise. A SRAM 10 powerlock should work also, but I haven't tried it. A Wipperman connex is far too sloppy.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/Chains-Spares-Devices/CHAJ

blschaefer1
09-12-2010, 09:28 AM
I've had horrible luck with the Superlinks on my 11 spped setups, which is contrary to my experience on 10 speed setups. They replaced a couple of links under warranty because they started clicking after a few hundred miles, but even their newest (with purple colored pins) wore too quickly. Also, there was always a gear or two that would rub slightly and make noise. I think the tolerances in 11 speed are just too tight for this to be the optimum setup.

I got the peening tool from Park and went back to the Campy fixed link. Life is good again.

AngryScientist
09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
pedro's just came out with a new chain super tool, which will do all the required tasks for 11-sp, including the peening. i dont think pricing is announced yet, but i plan on picking one up when it does come out.

http://www.pedros.com/product/tutto/tutto.jpg

cinema
09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
in the end, I just took mine to an lbs that has the tool. $10 to install. At the cost of the tool, i'd have to install 16 chains to make it worthwhile, and thats if i get a deal on it.

CNY rider
09-12-2010, 06:23 PM
in the end, I just took mine to an lbs that has the tool. $10 to install. At the cost of the tool, i'd have to install 16 chains to make it worthwhile, and thats if i get a deal on it.

No doubt, that would be my first choice as well.
But there is no local bike shop.
The nearest that would have that tool is about an hour away.

AngryScientist
09-12-2010, 06:36 PM
No doubt, that would be my first choice as well.
But there is no local bike shop.
The nearest that would have that tool is about an hour away.

the park tool and the pedros' i showed above will be cheaper than the campy tool, i always think its worth it to have a new tool :D

Craig Ryan
09-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I've been using the 11 speed link this summer, but don't have a ton of miles on it. Others have expressed dislike for the link and problems, so I'm just seeing what happens. So far so good for me. I keep it clean, very clean, and lubed. It seems like a concept that should work given the history of links, but I'm not ready to endorse it. I think about my chain more with it installed, but that may be because of what I've read. I have the tool and pins, so I'll probably go back to using them for future builds and this issue shakes out completely. I've been waiting for the Pedro's tool to become available for the better part of a year.
Craig

oldpotatoe
09-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Wanted to ask for updates on what people are doing to install Campy 11 speed chains at home.
Anyone put many miles on the Superlink X11.2 yet? Looks like a nice way to go but my experience with the prior model links, on 10 speed Campy chains is that they get clunky if not kept perfectly clean and lubed at all times.

Otherwise thinking about the Campy tool or adding the Park rivet peening tool. I share Alton Brown's aversion to unitaskers so something about the Park is turning me off.....the price of the Campy tool has the same effect. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Superlink is noisy, I returned mine to the supplier(Ochsner). I now sell an IRD one that appears to work great, much cheaper also. Distributor is Merry Sales.