PDA

View Full Version : Base Layers

RADaines
09-12-2010, 08:35 AM
I am looking for info/input on how and what people are using as base layer shirts. Do you use them in hot weather (90 degrees) only, cold weather only or on every ride? Are there affordable options out there? Some of the prices are very high for this stuff. Do you need different types for hot vs cold weather? Thanks for the help!

ahumblecycler
09-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I use Performance mesh for 60-degrees with s/s jerseys. Other than that, I do not wear base layers for warm/hot weather although I suspect the super nice Craft would actually help but I cannot be asked to spend that much on a hunch.

As for cold, I wear Craft but last year's model ;) I use the company's l/s and sleeveless under a mix of l/s jerseys and coats. I like their cold weather gear because unlike other cycling and non-cycling companies including UA, I never feel balmy with Craft base layers.

FYI, Competitive Cyclist has excellent winter sells in the spring ... but that only helps for winter 2012 and beyond.

fourflys
09-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I was wearing the Champion brand (Target) compression shirts and they worked well in all temps and then I tried the Sock Guy base layer and really like them! They're pretty cheap as well...

AngryScientist
09-12-2010, 01:23 PM
i almost always wear a baselayer, regardless of temp. the good warm weather base layers do an excellent job of improving the bodies ability to dissipate heat. they are definitely less effective in humid conditions though.

i like the specialized branded ones as well as the craft ones.

pdmtong
09-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Everyride

Sleeveless Rapha (wool) for up to about 80. then craft for 80+

Shortsleeve Rapha (wool) in the california "winter"

I didnt think it would make a difference, but it does.

Bought the rapha in their bundle pack with a promo coupon. Got the Craft on Bonktown blowout. You might think all base layers are the saem. They aren't. For instance, the craft is waaaaay nicer than say REI novarra brand. feels better, works better

FlashUNC
09-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Use a Craft baselayer. I consider it mandatory regardless of the weather.

tv_vt
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Seems there are different versions - which ones for which temps? There's ProCool, and some others... Not sure which is the one for warmer temps. Any info would be helpful.

Thx,

Thom

Pete Serotta
09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
They are very good and come in different weights. I only use them in FALL and WINTER. The summer here in NC is just too hot and humid. Additionally the wool from IBEX does not "stink" after many wears...

Elefantino
09-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Every ride, too.

Walmart "Athletic Works" or Starter brands.

Cheap. Really effective.

Did I mention cheap?

Charles M
09-12-2010, 06:38 PM
AZ is a little extreme... I dont wear a base layer in summer. no air trap / insulation seems better in high heat.

I start wearing them ar around 75 degrees and down.

LOTS of people make good base. Pearl, Exte, Gore, Santiti, Castelli... I've not found a great deal of difference in performance any place near price.

There's a few different kinds mind you. compression, weave (from full bodied to semi-fishnet...).

Peter P.
09-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I've had excellent results buying cheap stuff/off brands. Some of my older base layers come from sierra trading post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/). Medium weight shirts are the most beneficial for high level activities like cycling; I have some lightweight models and they will work but they're kinda thin.

I find no difference between cheap stuff and brand names. I also have Lifa wear and it works well but it's more expensive.

I've also found great base layers from Land's End, but I see they don't offer it anymore. I believe L.L. Bean offers similar products. You could also try Cabela's (http://cabelas.com/), the popular outdoor outfitter.

Lastly, longscycle.com (http://longscycle.com/category/jerseys/baselayers-coolmax/) sells bargain stuff. That $13 short sleever offered is probably a good deal.

Look for the highest polypropelene content in the fabric; I've found that provides the best wicking properties. High nylon content feels cold to me.

I wear long sleeve base layers below 60 degrees. From 60-70 I'll wear short sleeve base layers. Above 70 degrees I don't wear a base layer.

wc1934
09-12-2010, 08:50 PM
i wear sleeveless underarmor in the summer months and switch to a mock turtleneck - underarmor in cold weather - was leery at first, but it does work

daker13
09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, they're expensive. It's worth it to keep an eye out for outlet stores. There's a Giordana outlet in North Conway, NH that has them for $10 a piece, and I bought an armload of them.

fogrider
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I live in san francisco and ride in the mornings, therefore, pretty much every ride I wear a base layer. polypro fabric, long sleeve with s/s jersey with arm warmers. a lot of guys in the area wear a vest or a jacket. but by late morning on a climb, it gets warm. I just pull off the arm warmers and keep going, I also don't like a jacket flapping around.

Nil Else
09-13-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm happy with:
HOT: castelli and demarchi mesh sleeveless
70-80: assos summer short sleeve
60-70: assos spring/fall short sleeve
40-50: assos early winter long sleeve
below 40: assos winter long sleeve.

I also have, for rotation, long and short sleeves by giordana, craft, and some brand I can't remember the name (this one is a bit itch as well as giordana but much less so... but they all keep you fairly more or less dry... and yes for some reason craft ones seem to retain the sweat aroma for some reason) but I'm much happier when I have my assos stuff. Oh I also have a craft sleeveless with wind block material. I think that's it.

allegretto
09-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm happy with:
HOT: castelli and demarchi mesh sleeveless
70-80: assos summer short sleeve
60-70: assos spring/fall short sleeve
40-50: assos early winter long sleeve
below 40: assos winter long sleeve.

I also have, for rotation, long and short sleeves by giordana, craft, and some brand I can't remember the name (this one is a bit itch as well as giordana but much less so... but they all keep you fairly more or less dry... and yes for some reason craft ones seem to retain the sweat aroma for some reason) but I'm much happier when I have my assos stuff. Oh I also have a craft sleeveless with wind block material. I think that's it.

Same as you but I go Assos all the way and use their sleeveless in the hot weather. They are extremely comfortable and that's a huge reason for me...

shorelocal
09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I have a number of different base layers, but I like the DeFeet one the best. It's the UnD Shirt I think .... grey, light, and sleeveless. I also own Craft and Sugoi base layers. Use them almost always except when it's really hot out.

RADaines
09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I just received two pairs of DeFeet Un-D-Shurts. They feel nice and they are made in USA! I will try one on my next ride.Thanks for the responses people.

Uncle Jam's Army
09-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Icebreaker merino wool base layers, light and mid weight, for use in the fall and winter. Best base layers I've tried. I use these for skiing and mountaineering, too. I don't use a base layer for riding in either spring or fall, as I sweat so much I just overwhelm the wicking properties of almost any garment.

Avispa
09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Do you use them in hot weather (90 degrees) only, cold weather only or on every ride? Are there affordable options out there? Some of the prices are very high for this stuff. Do you need different types for hot vs cold weather?

Yeah... I use them all year long! And I live in South Florida where we have all flavors of hot weather and some cold weather in Winter.

IMO, the best base layer in the market is Outwet. They have a BL, for just about every season or condition... www.outwet.it, and you cam buy those at www.tscyclingusa.com

I notice many people wear loose fitting BLs, which is counter productive. A base layer should stick close to your skin and feel snug, to work properly.

BTW, What do you call "affordable"?

..A..