PDA

View Full Version : Bike/Race culture in and around Wash D.C.???

firerescuefin
09-11-2010, 07:11 PM
May be moving out that direction. Any thoughts would be appreciated. They will be added to the decision matrix.

Geoff

johnnymossville
09-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm just up the road near Baltimore, but race/raced with a lot of the guys down that way. There are quite a few good riders in/around DC and you don't have to go far for great riding. There are several very active large and small clubs to ride with and plenty of races within a few hours drive all spring/summer long.

The racing tends to lean towards crits, but there are some road races and cyclocross has really taken off in the area as well.

Bottom line: I find it VERY good if you want to ride/train/race and there are plenty of like-minded people around.

firerescuefin
09-11-2010, 07:33 PM
J-Moss...thanks for the input. Good info.

rugbysecondrow
09-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Whatever you like to do, there is an outlet. Great social rides, triathlons, racing, cross, rando...pretty much anything. Will PM you shortly.

Paul

Dekonick
09-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Yup - the Balt/DC area has much to offer.

Moving to the area? Which FD?

Acotts
09-11-2010, 09:11 PM
If you can hang in DC you can hang anywhere on the East Coast.

Racers here are the real deal. And then there is a whole lot in between.

Tons of nationally ranked Triathletes, a good amount of Pro CAT 1/2 riders, clubs for all tastes, and 45 minutes from good mtbing and within 2 hours of fantastic MTBing. (I got 6th at USAC MTB nationals a month ago and I am a middle of the packer.)

There is a great CX scene. I live on Cap Hill and I have signed up for 5 CX races all within 30 minutes drive.

Oh yeah, there is great hiking/camping within 2 hours. Good trail running and solid rock climbing and kayaking in the city. IN THE CITY!

Good restaurants too.

I really like living here.

Acotts
09-11-2010, 09:13 PM
If you can hang in DC you can hang anywhere on the East Coast.

Racers here are the real deal. And then there is a whole lot in between.

Tons of nationally ranked Triathletes, a good amount of Pro CAT 1/2 riders, clubs for all tastes, and 45 minutes from good mtbing and within 2 hours of fantastic MTBing. (I got 6th at USAC MTB nationals a month ago and I am a middle of the packer.)

There is a great CX scene. I live on Cap Hill and I have signed up for 5 CX races all within 30 minutes drive.

Oh yeah, there is great hiking/camping within 2 hours. Good trail running and solid rock climbing and kayaking in the city. IN THE CITY!

Good restaurants too.

I really like living here.

I want to add that the city is the most cycling frendly city I have ever lived in. I went 5 years w/o a car with little issue.

tiretrax
09-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Have the roads been improved? I lived there 87-92 and switched to a mountain bike (after my road bike was stolen) because the streets were so bad. I also did a lot of trail riding. Also, back then, I had knees and ran a lot. When friends would visit, they would always comment on how many runners they saw. I suppose that's why there are so many triathletes in the area.

Now, that I live in Dallas, I'm a MAMIL (middle aged man in lycra) and nearly everyone I know rides.

By the way, I was car-less for the five years I lived in DC, and it was fantastic. I enjoyed being able to walk without people I know stopping and asking me if my car was disabled.

firerescuefin
09-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Appreciate the replies....I am very encouraged...certainly good to hear.

rustychain
09-12-2010, 06:02 AM
All the above is true but let's not forget some of the worst traffic in the country. You will find some commuting roads are best avoided. Nearest velodrom is in PA. Many better bike shops sponcer group rides that would be a great way to learn the best places to ride and meet the locals.

djg
09-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure I have much to add. For particulars, if you're in hailing distance of Arlington, Conte's bike shop sponsors a Tuesday evening hill ride that attracts riders from a couple of local road teams, as well as plenty of other folks, and once a month -- 1st Tuesday of each month -- has free food and drink after.

It's easy enough to check out various teams once you are here. Several have at least one open ride per week and more than a few will make arrangements for you to join a ride and meet some folks if you contact them. Feel free to send me a PM once you are on the ground if you decide to come here.

Plenty of races on the road, although, as in lots of places, the season is thick in crit/circuit offerings and thinner when it comes to road races. There's a strong -- and growing -- cross scene that, for practical purposes, kicks off next weekend in Baltimore.

Cantdog
09-12-2010, 12:17 PM
I want to add that the city is the most cycling frendly city I have ever lived in. I went 5 years w/o a car with little issue.

Downtown is easy carless, as soon as you cross into the 'burbs it's horrendous.

Good area riding, but I would not classify northern virginia or suburban maryland as cyclist friendly by any means.

djg
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Downtown is easy carless, as soon as you cross into the 'burbs it's horrendous.

Good area riding, but I would not classify northern virginia or suburban maryland as cyclist friendly by any means.

I dunno. Folks drive like qrap all over the area (not like Boston, but still . . . ) and commuting traffic on the road can be pretty bad. But for all of that, I'd say Arlington is reasonably bike friendly and better than downtown. There are bike lanes on some of the main arterial roads, a couple of MUTs running to the city, public bike racks at metros and business clusters, and a couple of good bike shops. It's not Santa Barbara, in lots of ways, but it's pretty good for getting around and even has a couple of decent hill loops for training.

flydhest
09-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Echo some thoughts . . . racing scene is very good. My signature below has my team's webpage link. We are one of, if not the, newest in the area, but there are others with decades of life. Some big teams, some small. Some focused on elite racing. Others focused on racing for fun. The 'cross scene is developing.

The downside to the racing season, in my view, is that it is weighted earlier in the year, so some of the racing is in chilly weather. I would rather race in 85 degrees than 55 degrees, but that's just me.

Another "problem" is that it takes several hours to drive to Trexlertown, PA, the nearest velodrome, if you want to race track. (I know, cry me a river . . . this should be the biggest problem in life, right?)

Any specific questions about racing?

Acotts, who do you race with?

Living in DC without a car is very doable. The area is getting more bike friendly year by year. Better than many place, not as good as others. If you are into bikes, though, it is definitely a good place.

I ride outdoors 12 months a year, but there are definitely some weeks in the winker when I am indoors, but then you'll get a 45-55 degree week in January or February.

Acotts
09-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Its true, I stay in the commuter friendly areas. I have gone to length to ensure that it is a part of my life. These days I commute from Cap Hill to Ballston. Other than a shot down Independence, I can go everywhere on trails, bike lanes, and neighborhoods. Yeah, it can be a little scary riding through downtown, but what major downtown isn't? For a major metropolis, it aint bad. Better than New York, or Chicago. Way better. Even Denver, that is so sprawled out that you need access to a highway.

A couple months ago, I needed to get my bike from my office back home at midnight. I was wearing mostly dark colors and had no helmet or light. I'll tell you, it was really nice knowing I could go the 13 miles on lit bike paths.

I dunno, I think anyone who complains about the bike-friendliness of this town is taking it for granted. I think we have it good here.

If only houses weren't so damn expensive!!!

I ride for NCVC - they pay my race fees. :D

Vote for Fenty - homeboy is committed to keeping our city bike-happy!

tiretrax
09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
didn't a 2way, cross town street get changed to one way with a dedicated bike lane? that's pretty radical and very cool. i now live in dallas, and we're trying to change from the car culture. a seattle based consultant was hired to help draft a comprehensive bike plan. it may take a few decades, however, to get people in a better frame of mind regarding cyclists, here in bicycling magazine's least bicycle friendly metropolis.

fortunately, the bike culture is growing, and there is no shortage of charity events and races.