PDA

View Full Version : Met any interesting characters recently?

RABikes2
04-18-2005, 10:33 AM
We all seem wrapped up in the "newest, fastest, and the lastest pieces of equipment that I've got an experience to share from this weekend.

I participated in TOSRV (Tour of Springtime Rural Vistas), which starts in north Florida, for a two day ride of 100 miles, each day. The ride is on my training roads, an "out the back door" ride for us here. Between the 2-day, 100 mile option and the 2-day, metric option, there were close to 450 riders.

On Saturday, riders leave Quincy, FL and ride to Albany, GA, spend the night and return the 100 miles back to Quincy, GA on Sunday. Food is so fabulous on this ride; hot breakfast, great lunch (both days), and dinner Saturday night is provided, along with cake and ice cream at the finish on Sunday. It's a traveling party; wonderful volunteers, country roads, southern hospitality, you name it; it's got it. :D

I'm riding back from Albany on Sunday, we're at the lunch stop. Yumm...pb&j, turkey sandwich fixings, bean salad, pasta salad, cookies, soda. I'm sitting across from a gentleman that I engage in conversation with; talking to him was one of the highlights of the ride. Listen to this...his name is Gene (from Albany, GA), 75 years old, use to ride over 30 years ago. (Said he did a couple of centuries when he was 40.) Gene took out his bike two months ago, brought it into the shop to get lubed, and started doing a few 30 milers. He flipping did the 200 miles this weekend! The headwind was quite strong on Saturday; in the 15-20 mph area. And Sunday contained the famous climbs the ride is known for on the last 30 miles and w/ a short, butt-kicking climb, two miles from the finish. I couldn't believe the tenacity, spirit, and determination of this gentleman. He told me after the ride, that at his Monday, Kiwanis meetings, that if somebody has a story/joke/etc. to tell, they put a dollar in a jar to tell it. Last Monday, he put a dollar in the jar and told his fellow Kiwanis that he might have something to tell them this Monday (today). It was obvious Gene was exhausted, but thrilled, elated, and beyond joy with his accomplishment to be able to tell his buddies how he spent his weekend! And just an FYI on Gene's bike...what a classic! (From his estimation), it was a 1970 Schwinn Paramount. It was in excellent, primo condition; except he used toe straps. One of the straps broke on his way back Sunday and in his tennis shoes, one foot strapped in and one not, he STILL rode, climbed, and finished w/ finesse!

Another notable rider, was Mitch from Long Island (I believe) who was on an older steel model Serotta. He owns a Legend Ti, but didn't want to ship his "baby". Mitch was interesting. ;) Probably in his mid 60's, struggling w/ his weight, and our hills, but he persisted, and finished, to eat his cake and ice cream, too!

Met any interesting characters recently?

P.S. Elefantino! Met your buddies at breakfast on Sunday. Saw the A-Team jersey and zeroed in on them! Great guys; hope they enjoyed their ride!

RA :D

coylifut
04-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I was riding one of my normal routes and I came up on a lady named Margaret. After riding along side of her for a spell, I learned that Margaret is 78 years old and has been ridding all over Europe and the US for over 40 years. Her husband Oscar (age 82) wasn’t riding that day because he and Margaret had ridden 30 miles with their “social” group the day before. Oscar doesn’t ride consecutive days anymore. Margaret was riding in honor of a friend whose funeral she had attended earlier that day. He was much younger than they (in his 60s) and they had ridden with him in the Spanish Pyrenees and the French Alps. Margaret was wearing a clear rain shield over her helmet and had one of those mini license plates dangling from her rear rack that said Margaret. She pulled over at one point and pulled out two chocolate chip cookies and gave me one. If I play my cards right, I might live a life as full as Margaret’s.

RichMc
04-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Coy,

Are you up and riding again after the broken scapula? Good to see if so!

Mac

coylifut
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Coy,

Are you up and riding again after the broken scapula? Good to see if so!

Mac

yes. I'm just not allowed to crash. Dr's orders.

RABikes2
04-19-2005, 01:39 AM
I received an e-mail from my new friend, Gene, tonight. He is coming down to our Tallahassee store on Thursday, his Paramount is coming too, so we can outfit him in shoes and pedals. The man is ready to RIDE!! Yahoooooo!! ;)

I'll do an update when I get the Kiwani's story from him. I'm sure his Monday breakfast meeting w/ his buddies was a fun time. :p

RA :D

The Serotta owner, who introduced himself as Mitch, owned a Fierte; his name was Bernard. His bike was in the shop today to be packed and shipped back up north. I wasn't there when he brought it in and missed out on talking with him again. I'm told he is quite the character, too, and comes down yearly to do TOSRV.

Sandy
04-19-2005, 05:25 AM
That story about 75 year old Gene is amazing to me. Started back to cycing 2 months ago, and rides 2 centuries in 2 days is most impressive to say the least. I don't see how a 75 year old man would be able to do that with such a layoff and with such little time in the saddle. Inspiring story to any cyclist (or non-cyclist) at any age.

Your riding is quite impressive too!!

Hope that you are doing well and are enjoying many miles of safe cycling. Hope to see you soon. Serotta weekend??

Sandy

William
04-19-2005, 05:47 AM
Great,inspireing stories. :cool: I hope I'm still hammering when I get older. Cuz, you always inspire me! Way to go!

Hmm, interesting characters? Do AR and Bradford count? ;) :D

William

BaaWoo!

PS: Package is in the mail. Really! :banana:

Elefantino
04-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Paul and Mike said they saw you! Only three-quarters of the A Team participated this year because it was the weekend for The Producers and we have season tickets.

Didn't envy you all on Saturday, though. Even for the local club ride the north wind was brutal.

The A Team is planning to do Flagler next month.

Keith A
04-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Elefantino -- What's details of the ride in Flagler? Any websites?

RABikes2
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Didn't envy you all on Saturday, though. Even for the local club ride the north wind was brutal.

The A Team is planning to do Flagler next month.

Saturday's north wind was a difficult one, but ahhhhhh...Sunday...there were some nice tailwinds! What's the ride in Flagler?

Yes, Gene's cycling story is so inspirational! The look of satisfaction and accomplishment on his face when he was done was priceless. There were also a few riders who bought new bikes, then came to my "Randonneuring" or "First Timer" clinics, and started cycling within the last 9 months that, somehow they were convinced (the power of positive input! :D) they'd do great to make as a goal this past weekends rides. Hehehe...they did so fabulous and all completed either the double metrics or double centuries! All were excited and looking forward to their next ride! :p Yahoo-yippee NEW BICYCLE RIDERS!! :banana:

I'm always amazed by people when they attain goals they never thought were possible. Sometimes it works for me and sometimes I feel I have to beat it into my head, but I try to repeat daily:
1) We have no limits on ourselves except for the limits we put on ourselves.
2) Positive thoughts bring positive results. RA

SO RIDE YOUR WONDERFUL BIKES AND HAVE A BLAST! :D

No Sandy, I unfortunately, won't be able to attend this year's Open House. It was great to meet, party, and ride with all of you last year, and now after a year on the forum, getting to know you even better, it would be great to do it again, but my son is home at that time and I need to work.

Approximately four weeks ago, something really BIG (!:banana:!) was entered on my calendar for June and I will be off work, at that time, for two weeks. I'm working my arse off right now so that it can happen; with being self-employed and off work for two weeks, it takes definite planning, strategy, and saving.

"Let's go for a short ride" RA :D