PDA

View Full Version : carbon rims and sqealing brakes

crownjewelwl
09-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I just got zipp 404 carbon clinchers. I'm using the supplied tangente cork pads. Under heavy braking the rear wheel squeals.

I made sure the rim was clean. is this just par for the course with carbon hoops? any suggestions?

wgp
09-11-2010, 04:38 PM
My Reynolds DV46s also squeal under hard braking, even with Swiss Stop Yellows - I think this is essentially SOP for carbon rims.

regularguy412
09-11-2010, 08:49 PM
My Reynolds DV46s also squeal under hard braking, even with Swiss Stop Yellows - I think this is essentially SOP for carbon rims.

I've not had one squeal from my Easton EC 90 SLs. Using the supplied Swiss Stop yellows. I did have a little shudder from the front when I first started using the wheel/pad combo, but figured out that my old brake calipers were shot (fore/aft play at the pivots). Put on some new Ultegra SL calipers and all is well. :-)

Mike in AR:beer:

happycampyer
09-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Make sure the pads are toed-in. That can make a difference as well.

BillG
09-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a set of Reynolds DVs and use Swiss Yellow pads. No brake squeal. None with my Eastons either. Toe in!

happycampyer
09-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Hmmm, it just occurred to me that you had mentioned elsewhere that Soren built up your bike, so they had to be set up properly. I would have him check them out. Maybe the pads need to be scuffed a bit?

On a slightly separate note, the Zipp cork pads seem to get rave reviews, but I tried them on an older set of 303s (2008) and didn't like them. Then again, I never found that my Zipps stop as well as other carbon wheels I own/have owned/tried. Of course, ymmv.

TAW
09-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Clean your pads. Sometimes they become dirty or have some residue on them that can cause squealing.

firerescuefin
09-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Maybe the pads need to be scuffed a bit?

I sand the glaze off the pads (use the swiss yellow) about once a month with one of those soft sandpaper blocks - 60 grit. Works great.

Bruce K
09-12-2010, 04:40 AM
My Reynolds squeal like mad when wet or under hard or prolonged braking.

I use Swiss Stop Yellows.

Checked everything and keep them clean.

I think it's just a hit or miss deal with carbon rims.

BK

crownjewelwl
09-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Soren did set up my bike so I assumed it was either user error or an inherent problem. I will have him take another look.

Maybe I'll try some swiss stops...

happycampyer
09-12-2010, 07:01 AM
As a slight aside, I always found this tech paper from Reynolds to be useful:

Reynolds Tech (http://www.reynoldscycling.com/uploads/wheel%20cleaing(4).pdf)

bicyclego
09-12-2010, 07:26 AM
What wgm said...I use Swiss Stop Yellow King pads and hard braking, particularly repeated hard braking, tends to produce some squeal. It was worse when the wheels were new and has improved over time.

crownjewelwl
09-12-2010, 07:36 AM
As a slight aside, I always found this tech paper from Reynolds to be useful:

Reynolds Tech (http://www.reynoldscycling.com/uploads/wheel%20cleaing(4).pdf)

this was helpful...thanks!

SoCalSteve
09-12-2010, 09:22 AM
I have a few sets of Reynolds carbon wheels and have found that toe in or out of the brake pads makes a huge difference in whether they squeal or not...

Just experiment in a parking lot with an Allen key and a bit of patience.

Good luck!

T.J.
09-12-2010, 10:28 AM
+1 on what Steve said^^^

just play around with the toe in. My XXX Lites squealed until I finally got the toe in just right. Took the better part of monkey'n around with on a ride but all is good now

happycampyer
09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a few sets of Reynolds carbon wheels and have found that toe in or out of the brake pads makes a huge difference in whether they squeal or not...

Just experiment in a parking lot with an Allen key and a bit of patience.

Good luck!For crownjewelwl (among others, including me), it's a torx key, but same idea. ;)

AngryScientist
09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
+ 2 on toe-in adjustment, this should make a lot of difference.

Tim
09-12-2010, 07:09 PM
When the pads wear a bit, there is not enough toe in - the front ends of the pads wear and the pads become too flat against the rim- re-adjust the toe and this will fix the problem.
I have the same issue under heavy braking with Reynolds and Swiss Stop pads- and this re-adjustment fixes the issue.