PDA

View Full Version : San Bruno Gas Explosion

bobswire
09-10-2010, 09:41 PM
This is one of my regular rides when it's not too foggy and windy. It goes right by that area in San Bruno where the PG&E gas pipe rupture exploded yesterday. One moment you're eating dinner the next all you are left with is the clothes on your back.
I tried to get a view of the devastation today but the roads leading into the area were blocked and because of the low lying terrain you could only see smoke from smoldering embers from Hwy 35 which comes off of Skyline Blvd. One of the nicer rides heading South out of the city towards Hwy 1.

This is from my Garmin edge 305 showing the route I ride from my place in the San Francisco to San Bruno where the fire was.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48407885

Here is some footage on the fires from the explosion,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehINAaZcmak

rice rocket
09-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah, 30" gas line. Ridiculous.

Louis
09-10-2010, 09:47 PM
In the news they reported that the residents have been complaining about the smell of gas in the area for a while. If that turns out to be true and nothing was done that's quite disturbing.

fogrider
09-11-2010, 12:22 AM
I see that you rode up the sneath and up monterey, if you stay on sneath and keep going around to the other side, you end up on the sweeny ridge trail. I take my cross bike there and drop down to pacifica from time to time. climb back up on sharp park.

bobswire
09-11-2010, 07:58 AM
I see that you rode up the sneath and up monterey, if you stay on sneath and keep going around to the other side, you end up on the sweeny ridge trail. I take my cross bike there and drop down to pacifica from time to time. climb back up on sharp park.

Thanks fogrider I'll give it a try sometime.

-Bob

SEABREEZE
09-11-2010, 08:35 AM
If you scroll down below video, the comments are sad, folks who are or who clame to be Islamic, thanking allaha for retalliateing for considering to burn the koran

Its ok for some people in Islamic countries burning our flag and throwing it on the ground, thats ok..

bobswire
09-11-2010, 09:15 AM
If you scroll down below video, the comments are sad, folks who are or who clame to be Islamic, thanking allaha for retalliateing for considering to burn the koran

Its ok for some people in Islamic countries burning our flag and throwing it on the ground, thats ok..

Seabreeze, I pretty much just ignore the nut-jobs on both sides,the Preacher who got what he wanted,"publicity" for his congregation and those who respond in kind with their own hateful rhetoric.
These guys are insignificant and would fade away if the MSM didn't give them a soapbox to give rise to even greater discord.

Louis
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Both sides have their share of idiots and wackos and anyone that tells you that their side is perfect and the other side evil incarnate is one of them.

fogrider
09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Both sides have their share of idiots and wackos and anyone that tells you that their side is perfect and the other side evil incarnate is one of them.

yeah, I always think people with that much hate should ride a bike twice a week and they would find some love.

monkeywobble
09-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I commute via Skyline occasionally but thought it'd be closed off on Friday so I took a route which mostly hugs the bay trail. Even with the affected area miles away it was visibly smoky and the smoke smell was very strong for at least a few miles.

This is one of my regular rides when it's not too foggy and windy. It goes right by that area in San Bruno where the PG&E gas pipe rupture exploded yesterday. One moment you're eating dinner the next all you are left with is the clothes on your back.
I tried to get a view of the devastation today but the roads leading into the area were blocked and because of the low lying terrain you could only see smoke from smoldering embers from Hwy 35 which comes off of Skyline Blvd. One of the nicer rides heading South out of the city towards Hwy 1.

Here is some footage on the fires from the explosion,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehINAaZcmak