PDA

View Full Version : Sharkies and Clif Bloks vs Gummy Bears?

veggieburger
09-09-2010, 10:15 AM
This weekend I decided to try a wee bag of Sharkies and Sport Beans. The Sport beans were noticeably sweeter/tarter than a regular jelly bean, the Sharkies not as much. I have also had Clif Bloks in the past, which I like.

I guess my question is - how much of this is hype, and how much if it will really have an effect when compared to a handfull of gummy worms?

OtayBW
09-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm not a gummy bear kinda guy, but I have been on a bit of a Clif Blok kick here lately. At ~80 miles into a century, a couple of these babies seem to give me a little zing, and the electrolytes don't hurt anything either. I'll be stocking up for this weekend.

gdw
09-09-2010, 01:18 PM
My brother runs 30-50 mile ultras on mainly gummy bears and pretzels. They provide the sugar and salt the body needs and can be found in any convenience store.

AngryScientist
09-09-2010, 01:39 PM
i dont know about the science of it all, but i'm a huge jelly belly fan for long rides. if nothing else they taste great and are a nice treat toward the end of a ride.

tim11
09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Hype or not, I dig the honey stingers chews. Very little aftertaste.

jghall
09-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm probably in the latter cafe, hell a can of coke at the 70 mile mark is good enough to get one through the century mark.

pdmtong
09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
pick the one that tastes best ... more important is to eat them, no matter what they are

Ilike the clif bloks and gu chomps...taste and packability

onekgguy
09-09-2010, 11:14 PM
For me, you can't beat Hostess Cupcakes.

Kevin g

BarryG
09-10-2010, 08:10 AM
love the Clif Shot Bloks on the bike although it boggles my mind why they can't design packaging that is easier to tear open :crap:

Elefantino
09-10-2010, 09:15 AM
I tear open the Clif Blok packages at the top before the ride. Then they squeeze up from the bottom pretty easily.

I have tried Power Bar Gel Blasts but haven't made up my mind on them yet. Frankly, I think the Bloks chew easier.

rugbysecondrow
09-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Who uses Honey? I thought I read about people using honey in a similar way. I picked up some honey packets to try.

Volant
09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
I used to use the LifeSavers Gummis during 24-hour races for that 'needed' sugar boost. They worked great for me!

avalonracing
09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I love Clif Bloks! I've never been able to choke down the Gu/Gel/Pudding crap and Bloks don't mess up your jersey pockets either!

sg8357
09-10-2010, 09:37 AM
The margarita blocks have lots of sodium, 420mg
The black cherry are the same as two cups of coffee.

The Clif Roks are 'orrible, foul tasting fake malted milk balls.

OtayBW
09-10-2010, 11:07 AM
For me, you can't beat Hostess Cupcakes.

Kevin gFunny, I would have pegged you for more of a Ding Dong kinda guy.... :D

bozman
09-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Hype or not, I dig the honey stingers chews. Very little aftertaste.

+1

I also like the Clif Bloks but the Honey Stingers are made in the backyard, so to speak.

false_Aest
09-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Cliff bloks with the caffeine send me through the roof on race-day.
More-so than the other caffinated thingamadoooos.

I let em dissolve in my cheek during the first part of a ride/race. Once the tempo raises I stop whistling, spit out a massive wad of redness to intimidate the others and work my way up the pack.

Really, people get a little freaked out when you whistle and spit blood during a crit.

avalonracing
09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Cliff bloks with the caffeine send me through the roof on race-day.
More-so than the other caffinated thingamadoooos.

I let em dissolve in my cheek during the first part of a ride/race. Once the tempo raises I stop whistling, spit out a massive wad of redness to intimidate the others and work my way up the pack.

Really, people get a little freaked out when you whistle and spit blood during a crit.

But a little red dye in your helmet pads too. When you start sweating blood they'll just pull over and let you finished uncontested.

bigreen505
09-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Who uses Honey? I thought I read about people using honey in a similar way. I picked up some honey packets to try.

Plain old 'add them to your tea' honey packets are pretty small. You need like six of them to do much (which I think is about the same size as a Honey Stinger gel), but they work fine.