PDA

View Full Version : fierte - 1" steerer - stem recommendations

gt6267a
04-17-2005, 07:23 PM
I purchased a fierte steel frame / fork which should be here this coming week. This will be my project / rain bike and plan to build it from ground up myself. Very excited about this project. Expect to see numerous posts questing how to do xyz coming from me in the coming weeks. thanks ahead of time.

my review of the bike is that it looks like a stock sized cIII, but have now just discovered a rather important difference. the steerer tube is 1" and not 1 1/8" on the fork. My plan was to purchase a Thomson stem for the bike but after a quick review on their web site, it appears they don't make a 1" model. Is this why the sell a shim? Am I going to have to look to another manufacturer of stems?

are there other differences between the cIII and fierte? should i be concerned about this project?

thanks,
k

Sam in VA
04-17-2005, 07:34 PM
You might be able to find a 1" stem in your LBS' parts bin on ebay, but You can't tell the difference once installed. The shim is aluminum, so there shouldn't be a weight difference

Big Dan
04-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Don't be afraid of the shim. I use shims on 2 of my bikes with no problems.
What fork are you using?

Ti Designs
04-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Did the fierte ever come in a 1" steerer???

gt6267a
04-17-2005, 08:10 PM
it's the current model fierte with kestrel ems pro fork. unless i'm mistaken, it has a 1" steerer. ok, so the thomson post with a shim. sounds like a plan.

are there any other things that i need to careful about? what is the bb and fr size?

http://www.kestrel-usa.com/accessories/fork_ems.php

05Fierte TI
04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
I believe the current model Fierte is 1 1/8. I just got the ti version and it has an 1 1/8 steerer tube. I had the option of the Kestral fork but chose the Ouzo pro instead.

Love the bike, should have done this years ago! :D

gt6267a
04-17-2005, 10:18 PM
o5fierte,

when did they switch? the web site currently lists the kestrel ems pro as the only fork choice and it is 1". not doubting that you had the option, i'm just a bit confused as to what is stated on the web site and what you received, making me confused about what i will receive. as well, the bike i purchased is from 2004 which may or may not make a difference.

thanks,
keith

hybridbellbaske
04-18-2005, 01:43 AM
My 03 Fierte Ti has a Kestrel EMS 1 1/8 fork. I may be wrong but I don't think Fierte's (is that a word) ever came with a 1 inch headtube.

gt6267a
04-18-2005, 06:21 AM
hmmm. without question, i prefer to be wrong. on the kestrel web site, there is an ems pro / os fork that is 1 1/8". is that the fork the comes with the frame and not the ems pro? that would make this all come together nicely. if a 03 model has the 1 1/8" than that must be the ticket. i appreciate the responses.

thanks and regards,
keith

05Fierte TI
04-18-2005, 06:04 PM
When I ordered my frame the dealer indicated that the Kestral fork was the standard, I asked what else might be available and the Ouzzo Pro was an option complete with the little S on the crown. I ordered the ti version with the blue decals, looks good in an industrial way.

There was no mention of a 1" steerer.

I love the ride, much better than my old Cannondale 2.8. I understand the new Cannondales ride much better than what I had but they did not fit as well as the Serotta.

FierteTi52
04-18-2005, 07:56 PM
My Fierte Ti is an 2003 and it has1 1/8" headtube. in 2003 the Kestral fork was included with the frame set. I don't think they ever made a Fierte with a 1" head tube.
Jeff

gt6267a
04-18-2005, 09:22 PM
i apprecaite the responses. between this column and e-mailing the seller, i'm now confident it's 1 1/8". this is good stuff. i do think serotta would do well to list the fork as the ems pro os model...

thanks and regards,
keith