PDA

View Full Version : Vuelta coverage

victoryfactory
09-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Say what you will about Paul & Phil..

But the Vuelta coverage shows how good they really are, in contrast.

Yes, I know that the Vuelta is smaller with less cameras and assets etc
But don't under estimate how good those 2 guys are at a very difficult job,
namely watching a bike race on a monitor while listening to race radio in
several different languages and their director in their ears and still managing to
make the race interesting and exciting.

btw, does the lack of Vuelta posts mean that the interest in European bike
racing is (was) really all about Lance?
Will the American fan interest now go back to pre Lance levels?

Just wondering

VF

dekindy
09-09-2010, 06:27 AM
I think that interest will continue to be at a high level. At the Giro and Veulta the racing has been interesting and exciting. Until yesterday, there was no rider or team that had more than one stage win and the leader changes daily. I like it just as well and will probably like it better once I become more familiar with the riders. There seems to be a lot of talent coming up. Don't forget, Davis Phinney is a distinct possibility for greatneess. He is learning from the best.

Lovetoclimb
09-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I am unable to catch any good streams at work due to security concerns, but would be very interested in catching any or all of the day's stage replayed in the evenings. Is Universal the only way to accomplish this?

For me the action has been intense in this Vuelta with many high level pros having their chance to go after the glory now that the "superstars" are resting. Anton's performance yesterday (what I could imagine from the live ticker updates) was just superb!

As exciting as TdF action for this Euro cyclist fan.

BarryG
09-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Say what you will about Paul & Phil..

But the Vuelta coverage shows how good they really are, in contrast.

disagree - I actually prefer the Vuelta announcers

EDS
09-09-2010, 08:45 AM
The camera/production work at the Vuelta is some of the worst I have ever seen. Probably not the camera man's fault, more the fault of the producer making the call of which camera to go lice on, but every single time something important happens they miss it. Yesterday's stage was a great example. They don't show Rodriguez getting dropped and then they miss a chunk of Anton's efforts.

victoryfactory
09-09-2010, 09:03 AM
The camera/production work at the Vuelta is some of the worst I have ever seen. Probably not the camera man's fault, more the fault of the producer making the call of which camera to go lice on, but every single time something important happens they miss it. Yesterday's stage was a great example. They don't show Rodriguez getting dropped and then they miss a chunk of Anton's efforts.

That's right, and because the announcers are watching that bad feed,
they also have a hard time making sense of the race and they sound
clueless, playing catch up to the action.
CRIPE! Half the time they can't even tell if someone is off the front or if there
is a group in between the leaders and the pack. worthless.

VF

gemship
09-09-2010, 09:14 AM
btw, does the lack of Vuelta posts mean that the interest in European bike
racing is (was) really all about Lance?
Will the American fan interest now go back to pre Lance levels?

Just wondering

VF

Good question, speaking for myself being a novice fan. I am curious about pro level bike racing with the spring one day classics and later on in the summer with the TDF. Certainly more Americans follow with LA around but yeah the TDF is the big dog race most Americans take notice of regardless.

rustychain
09-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Phil and Paul, listened to them for years and they have done much to aid the sport in English speaking countries. That said and with due respect Paul is getting a bit off these last few years and tension between the two, at least on air is growing. We need a new generation. IMO I am not seeing any front runners for the position. Paul started years ago with limited technology, using his great memory and knowledge to give excitement. He could tell many riders by riding style alone. The new breed looks to be looking from to computer screen trying to keep up. Those that were not into the sport years ago missed I think Paul and Phils best years

cassa
09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
When I've watched coverage on Universal Sports (Giro earlier this year and now the Vuelta), it never really seems like the announcers are really at the race. Instead it seems like they are calling the race from a studio (in California???) based only on the video feed.

Not that it should be a problem. When Phil and Paul call the Tour, they can't see the action live until the final sprint anyway, but they do seem to really be there (they talk about driving from town to town, being at the finishing town, experiencing the crowd(s), etc...).

Does anyone know if the Universal Sports guys are actually in Spain for the Vuelta?

dnades
09-09-2010, 12:02 PM
go to http://www.cyclingfans.com/

for live race coverage in several languages. Small picture but decent coverage.

usually happens around 8.30 to 11.30 or so. EST that is.

firerescuefin
09-09-2010, 12:05 PM
I think lack of interest is due to a few things:

It's late in the season. The classics (my favorites) have come and gone...and the superbowl (the TdF in most minds) has already been played. It feels like everyone sends their B or C team, and the great riders are already smoked from a long season or are using it to train for the worlds. It's like the post grand tour crit of grand tours. I love the Giro, but just can't get into the Vuelta.

JMerring
09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
phil and paul's lance worship annoys/ed the crap out of me, but i love 'em nonetheless. in my mind, they're the best commentating duo in sports. hearing their mellifluous banter never ceases to bring a smile to my face. my wife, on the other hand, can't run away fast enough.

tiretrax
09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
the lance worship is really a factor of coverage for the american market. i love cycling and watch it all year long. my wife only cares if lance is involved. for instance, there's a major criterium here next week. i asked if she would mind if i'd be gone all evening to watch it (since she'll have to pick up all the kids from their practices instead of me). her only question was, "is lance riding?" once i said no, i knew i had it locked up.

by the way, phil constantly makes mistakes, and paul politely and patiently corrects him (except for the renshaw debate during the tdf - i was waiting for the catfight to start).

and, it's taylor phinney whom we hope to be the next american phenom. davis continues to be an inspiration in his fight against parkinsons.

victoryfactory
09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Phil and Paul, listened to them for years and they have done much to aid the sport in English speaking countries. That said and with due respect Paul is getting a bit off these last few years and tension between the two, at least on air is growing. We need a new generation. IMO I am not seeing any front runners for the position. Paul started years ago with limited technology, using his great memory and knowledge to give excitement. He could tell many riders by riding style alone. The new breed looks to be looking from to computer screen trying to keep up. Those that were not into the sport years ago missed I think Paul and Phils best years

I agree that there doesn't seem to be anyone on the horizon to succeed those
two. Paul's ability to pick out riders is really quite amazing considering he's looking
at a monitor.

I'll take those guys over anyone else.

"They're breathing down the back of his cycling shorts now!"
"The mountains are coming soon and the road will surely tilt up"
etc.

ClutchCargo
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
When I've watched coverage on Universal Sports (Giro earlier this year and now the Vuelta), it never really seems like the announcers are really at the race. Instead it seems like they are calling the race from a studio (in California???) based only on the video feed.

Not that it should be a problem. When Phil and Paul call the Tour, they can't see the action live until the final sprint anyway, but they do seem to really be there (they talk about driving from town to town, being at the finishing town, experiencing the crowd(s), etc...).

Does anyone know if the Universal Sports guys are actually in Spain for the Vuelta?

Apart from the TdF, P&P jhave called many races for OLN/Versus from a studio in Norwalk, Conn.

cmg
09-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Direct tv has a page that says the Vuelta is available on channel 604 which of course doesn't work. they'll probably sort this out on the last stage. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P6300066

Polyglot
09-09-2010, 10:52 PM
disagree - I actually prefer the Vuelta announcers

You are not the only one!

1centaur
09-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Still, hearing "GoGo" say "Francaise day Jew" or the other one saying "Caisse Day ParnYay" makes me wish for Phil and Paul.

boneman
09-10-2010, 09:23 AM
I get the UK feed on Eurosport and the color is generally done by Sean Kelly who is one astute caller of the race. New this year and in my mind the up and comer is Magnus Backstedt. Insightful and funny without being too chatty.

Elefantino
09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I get the UK feed on Eurosport and the color is generally done by Sean Kelly who is one astute caller of the race. New this year and in my mind the up and comer is Magnus Backstedt. Insightful and funny without being too chatty.
David Harmon is the best in the business. And he can actually make Sean Kelly sound, well, interesting. (Kelly is astute, but at times he sounds like he's counting sheep.)

I don't mind the Universal guys. Gogulski is enthusiastic, by Oscar "Fray-ray" is a bit much.

Polyglot
09-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Still, hearing "GoGo" say "Francaise day Jew" or the other one saying "Caisse Day ParnYay" makes me wish for Phil and Paul.

As one who fluently speaks the 6 most important Western European languages, I can assure you that people in the know would never say anything positive about the pronunciation of Phil and Paul. Gogo and Steve are both better than Paul and Phil overall. They are still not perfect, but are a heck of a bit better. Paul and Phil are both reasonably good with French, but that is about the limit of their "foreign" pronunciation.

firerescuefin
09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I think 20 posts in, the commentary on Phil and Paul has been pretty much exhausted...how about the race...you know...the Vuelta.

haneriali
09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm really enjoying the race this year, despite the poor video feed. The course makes for exciting racing with significant suspense. For me, having some lesser-known riders competing strongly is a traditional draw.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
You are not the only one!

Gee, race coverage, no breaks to those 'sponsors' that paid huge $ to get some clone to talk about how this or that gizmo is now the best in the world...

I like the coverage also, race reporting, no color to try to make it mainstream..gee, they do the same thing in NASCAR...

firerescuefin
09-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Tommy D in 8th..sitting 3:29 out. I have had the chance to spend some time with him...very humble and unassuming...great guy. I hope this starts a renaissance of sorts for his career. He is poised to do something special.