PDA

View Full Version : Gentlepersons! Your ride reports please.

Too Tall
04-17-2005, 06:29 PM
OK OK I've been a bad boy and not posted this thread but I really miss it.

M-tue - Easy sleazy pedaling.
Wed - 3 hrs. 40 minutes at about 90% threshold and 3 x 3 minutes hard remainder easy sleazy peddlin'.
Thurs. - super easy
Friday - EVEN EASIER!
Sat. - nada (friggin' late contractor who never showed grrrrr)
Sunday - Our BIG club race. We had about 600 race starts! Get this, BugsplatbuddahBob's wife raced for the first time EVER with my dear Queen :) They had a good time and it is all about people :) In my race I was assigned the role of keepng a lid on the field if we got guys away OR dragging a sprinter to whatever break. It didn't work out that way because one of our sprinters took a prime and kept going for the win and I was on the opposite side of the road on the last lap about 1/2 way around the course when a HUGE pileup took out the second most dangerous guy in the race ouch nobody was hurt and I sprinted for a top 10 spot...I'm not positve of my place cause the evil ref. did not see my number clearly and just posted a blank with my team name grrrr. I'm sure they will figgeritout.

Anywho the racing here sure is tough.

I switched back to the Ti Legend and rode the Dave Thomas DA tubies with velocity rims and salad shooter spokage...didn't feel like getting my really good carbooon wheels smooshed today...the field had 150 guys!!!! Oy Ve. The wheels were a good choice, stiff through a wicked fast downhill 90 and no worries in the gusty winds and oh so low profile...not like the guy riding a bazillion dollar disk wheel. Talk about an intimidating sound, the disk in a pack is downright scarey sounding.

So what about youz? Great weather? For bonus points: who rode, raced and got out with the family?

97CSI
04-17-2005, 07:10 PM
30 mile spin with the club. Known as the Sunday 'Jaunt'. Tends to get a bit fractious on TT day (once a month) and later in the summer when everyone is on top of their game. But today was nice with 12+ folks doing about 20. Couple of newbies who aren't accustomed to pacelines that needed a bit of direction. Like, 'don't hit the brakes unless there is a REAL reason to do so.' Standard stuff. I dropped off after about 10 miles and went my own way as I am still fine tuning the seat position, etc., on the new CDA. Was about 48 when we started at 9 a.m. and was 65 when I returned at 11:30. Great day for a great ride! Can't wait for my new wheels to arrive (Open Pro's on Record hubs). Start of a great season.

Kevin
04-17-2005, 07:37 PM
An hour of hill work just as the sun was coming up. The rest of the day with the wife and kids. Caught a Broadway show, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and dinner.

Kevin

Spectrum Bob
04-17-2005, 07:48 PM
I could not be more proud of my wife Luna or as Sandy likes to call her Road Rocket for attempting her first race – Too Tall and the Queen have been so supportive – (my whole family just thinks you guys are the best). Luna had a great time and learned a lot from the experience – I will say that ever since she got her new Spectrum she has been riding like a new person – Tom made major changes to her position and it has given her the confidence she needed to try to race.

I had good rides on Saturday and Sunday both around 30 miles. I was climbing well and it was a great feeling to be on the bike without so many layers.

Spectrum Bob (sometimes known as bugsplatbuddabob)

scrooge
04-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Monday: took day off work and did 62 miles at moderate pace
Tues/Wed: Nothing
Thurs: 20 miles hard
Fri: 2 hrs on Mt. Bike, easy
Sat Morning: 71 miles, moderate
Sat PM: Hobbled around house with swollen knee. Apparently pushed it too much.
Sun: Still hobbling

davids
04-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Tuesday: 30 minutes on the trainer. :(

Thursday: Solo morning loop through the Blue Hills. Pushing, but feeling achy. 22 miles @ 16.3mph.

Saturday: Another solo ride, ranging farther south. Working hard, and my average speed is up. 31.5 miles @ 16.8 mph. :)

Sunday: Another solo ride. Headed southwest to Dover. Feeling a bit over-done, but loving the beautiful day and the open road. As I near home, run into my good buddy, nursing an injured neck and sore knees. I do another bunch of miles with him, happy to be sharing the ride. :D 37.5 miles @ 15.5 mph.

dirtdigger88
04-17-2005, 08:58 PM
monday- 25 miles in the a.m.

tuesday- same bat miles same bat time (25 for non- bat fans)

wednesday- road trip to Nashville NADA MILES

thursday- 30 miles in the afternoon- ducked out of the office early

friday- 40 miles in the evening- watched the sunset

saturday- 45 miles solo around town

sunday- 40 miles with 4 or 5 of them on the veledrome-

I have to be honest I am feeling real strong lately- I have made the transition from the trainer to the road in the morning- there is nothing better than road miles- Yes this was a good week of cycling for the dirt-man :beer:

Jason

shinomaster
04-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I just posted mine under my poll...It was great!

Blastinbob
04-17-2005, 09:47 PM
I rode a fast 50 miler today with docrocket ( he's also my chiro )and one of his buds, he enjoyed putting me in pain last week when he worked on my hip, so today was payback ! I also got to take a quick spin on woolys' Parlee, all I can say is wow ! It will be in my garage in a couple of days. ;)

Kahuna
04-18-2005, 04:17 AM
Did this ride (http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/ulupalakua/) today.

It didn't suck. :cool:

-K

Dr. Doofus
04-18-2005, 04:31 AM
M -- 1 hr EZ
Tues -- 1 hr EZ (still blasted from Sunday)
Wed -- AM: 1.5 HRS, 3 x 15 @ LT on 5 rest
PM: 1.5 HRS steady
Thurs -- 3 HRS steady
Fri -- 2.25 HRS, 3 x 20 @ LT on 5 rest
Sat -- 1 HR EZ
Sun -- 2 HRS 4 x 5 min tempo, 5 min LT, 5 min +LT consecutively (1 hard hour, in other words)

doof needs to find a group ride solution -- the local club sucks. doof either needs to drive to charlotte (1 hour sitting in traffic to get there, 35 minutes back) or columbia (1 hour to get there driving 70, 1 hour back) to do some tuesday night club races....time and patience gets fried going to charlotte, gas money gets fried going to columbia....

cs124
04-18-2005, 05:52 AM
Mon - Thurs: Nil, Nada, nicht. geting cranky...

Fri: Commute to work, 17 km easy roll there, 35km steady back.

Sat: 80km, mostly flat, tempo with 2 buddies. Kept riding away from this really sucky group of about 40 or so and they kept chasing us down, going past then slowing down. :crap: This ride belongs in that other thread.

Sun: 75km roly poly/hills. Sore legs today.

Too Tall
04-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Yo Kahuna, I tried to say it three times and so how do I untie my tongue now? Say it backwards? What?

Kahuna, keep a sharp eye out for my teammate Tony Lang. He lives there. The guy is a pipsqueak, really tiny. What's amazing about Tony is that he can TT and climb as well as most neo-pros yet he's an masters rider. Ouch, we are glad to be rid of him cause of all the pain the man caused on team rides...kidding ;) If you see him say hi from Too Tall.

Tom
04-18-2005, 08:57 AM
- Last Sunday. 45 miles or so with the SCC guys. One guy likes beer, is taller than me and about 80 pounds heavier. I guess he was NYS champ at road or MTB or maybe both at some point in the past. I don't know, but nobody should be able to go up hills that fast. Lots of fun to have that guy on the front of a paceline.
- Monday, Tuesday: Laaaazy!
- Wednesday: 1:45 around the river, sort of stayed under control.
- Thursday: Lazy again. House renovation eating up time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
- Friday: 1:45 around the river after work. Nice night. Don't like Friday drivers.
- Saturday: 2:00 around Ballston Lake, across Vly Road up on Ridge and back down Rector to home. Beautiful day, was good and stayed within myself and didn't do too much.
- Sunday: 2:30 up Rynex to Mariaville and back down 160, hiding from the SCC guys. They'da killed me. Didn't stay within myself and did too much anyway.
- And today I rest. Because I'm lazy.

zap
04-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Monday-Hard hill sprints
Tuesday-moderatly hard tt simulation working on new tt position.
Wednseday-no riding but like every other day, core workout
Thursday-Hard RR
Friday-just another core w/o
Sat.-not to hard but short distance. Met up w/friends after their ride to get the latest gossip.
Sunday-ride in park & then another tt simulation into mild headwind (I love headwind) with a moderate uphill finish into same wind.

I'm tired but happy. Hardest series of rides I've done in a year. The knee is still in one piece and the legs are starting to feel really good. :banana:

Keith A
04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday -- I slept in trying to recover for this latest round of the flu that I have unfortunately passed onto my wife.

Thursday evening - 1 hour on the trainer

Friday morning - 1.5 hours pre-work see how feel ride

Saturday morning - Small group ride of 55 miles with a relentless 20 to 30 mph wind. We all worked hard and had an echelon going almost the entire ride. When I finished, if I tried to breath in too deep I felt like I was going to toss my cookies -- now doesn't that feel good.

Sunday - rest

Marron
04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I've wondered if Washington is the only state to ruin perfectly good roads with that devil's spawn,chipseal. For those of you unfamilar with this abomination, it's a supposedly more durable and less expensive road resurfacing which consists of gravel in a matrix of asphalt. Rough and noisy.

Anyway, we were spending the weekend with some friends at their new beach house in Ocean Shores. Invariablythat means lots of wind, some rain and the aformentioned chip seal. I rode about 60 miles up and down the coast with a loop into the interior. I was on my fixed Merckx which I just regeard to 44 X 16. That was about right for the combo of screaming headwinds/tailwinds with hills and a usually rough surface. For those of you accustomed to more genteel seaside settings, the Washington coast would probably come as a shock. Think of rough clearcuts and scraggly second growth forest coming down to a beach littered with huge logs which are tossed up like toothpicks in the recurring storms. After 25 years of riding there it still gives me the creeps. Despite all that, I had a great ride and was greatful to have the fixed gear for the headwinds. I always seem to do much better riding into the wind fixed.

Brian
04-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Monday: A good book and some of Ukraine’s finest vodka.

Tuesday: Horribly fast 29-mile club ride thanks to some local racers who think it’s fun to blow apart the group. I remember when these rides used to be fun…

Wednesday: Several pints of English cask-conditioned ale with some friends from work.

Thursday: 36-mile ride with two buddies. Good hills and solid pace. Lots of fun.

Friday: Happy Hour and dinner out with the wife. What else would you be doing on a Friday?

Saturday: Marshaled at a 55-mile road race (with long stretches of hilly dirt roads) in Salem, NY. Good thing for the riders it was dry.

Sunday: 42-mile ride with three good friends through some of the most beautiful cycling country in America. Strong pace with 3,000 feet of climbing, but not so hard that we couldn’t talk. An absolutely perfect day to be on a bike!

Chief
04-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Monday-32 easy recovery miles
Tuesday/Wednesday-43 miles day, high cadence work and hills
Thursday -36 mile group ride, high intensity, lot of hills
Friday/Saturday-43 miles each day, high cadence work and hills
Sunday-day off.

Tom
04-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Tuesday: Horribly fast 29-mile club ride thanks to some local racers who think it’s fun to blow apart the group. I remember when these rides used to be fun…

Great. I was hoping to wander down and hook up with the "C" group to learn what I need to know about group riding. I hope that's a possibility.

Tom Kellogg
04-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Saturday was the first stage of the Tour de Ephrata. This used to be called the Fantastic Farmersville Challenge. 10K pretty flat RR loop. Us old guys did four laps. Quite windy with a he** of a tail wind. (46mph sprint for the 50+ crowd) Not all that fast, average of about 24.2 with a fair amount of messing around. Ended up 7th (I think). Kind of out of gas by the end. I stayed in the top ten the whole time and paid for it. :(

Sunday: Stage two "Pain Mountain TT" Eight miles. first six miles lightly rolling, beautiful farming roads, fun. Next half mile @ about 3% (less fun), then the PAIN. Mile and a half up the mountain. It suc*ed. Since I can't climb and I would not get top 15 (within the points) I backed off and got passed by three guys. Ended up in 20th in the TT. :o

Sunday: Stage three Ephrata Criterium. 1.1K Classic crit course. Smooth, a bit up, a bit down, safe. Pace was moderate, weather was pretty warm (almost 80) Ended up about 10th. Bad for me. As it turned out, I was coming down with my recurring protruding L4-L5 disc. Locked up after the TT. As it turned out, riding lowered the pain somewhat, so I did the Crit. even though I really should not have. :no:

I hit the doctor's this morning since I couldn't walk (really). He got me on some pretty strong drugs which allow me to walk and type. Much better now. We will see how it goes...

TOO TALL: When are you coming up for a visit?

Brons2
04-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Haven't posted here since I got my bike (it's not a Serotta) but what the heck.

Monday-Thursday: Commuted to work on my mountain bike. Yeah, springtime in Texas is great. Traffic sux though.

Friday: drove to Houston for start of MS150 (http://www.ms150.org).

Saturday: wake up at some ungodly hour, something like 4:45 am. Leave the hotel, drive to Rhodes Stadium to line up with some multiple thousand number of saps. Fortunately, my team, Team Texas Exes, is close to the front. The title sponsor, BP, gets their entire 750 strong contingent in the very front. They do not look like they do this sort of thing much. Decide I have to break out of the novices, and fast. However, they only let about 500 riders go at the time. Finally leave about 7:10 after waiting in line for an hour. I do about 25 for the first 10 miles, which gets me pretty well out in front of the slow people. It also gets me tired. Am able to keep in the 19-21 range for about the first 50 miles, in and out of a few pacelines, and then things slow to the 15-17 range, then to the 13-15 range. Really sucking wind at this point, why did I start out so damn fast? Arrive LaGrange, Texas at exactly 11:40 am. 83 miles, 4:40, not bad by my standards but I'm sure some of you will laugh. LaGrange is a HUGE party with all those riders. Good times. Oh yeah, I forgot to bring a sleeping bag, towel or soap. I am able to shower off of borrowed supplies but I get piece of plastic to sleep on. Ah well. Better than the ground I guess.

Sunday: again I am woken at some ungodly hour. Someone in another tent is screaming at the top of their lungs for their team to wake up and conquer, or something like that. I am not amused. Some people in our tent do get up. I arise about 4:40 am, and go for pancakes. They're pretty damn tasty. I go back, change into my clean jersey and shorts, help clean up the tent, and then go line up. I am in line by 5:50am. We don't start till 7. I try to hold my bike over my head (I'm 6'7") to get up to the front to meet up with my team. Some ride marshall screams at me, says I do that every year and to stay put. (I've never done this ride before). The ride marshal is not tall. I chalk it off to some napoleon complex. Finally after about forever, I am off at 7:10. First few miles we clog the two lane road. Some truck tries to pass and rear ends another vehicle. Riders look scared, but no harm done. Well to any cyclists anyways. Stop at the first rest area due to the half gallon of nuclear blue Gatorade I drank while I was waiting in line. Kept going after that. Came to a fork in the road where I could go through the very hilly Bastrop State Park or keep going on the highway. I choose the state park. Seemed like most experienced riders (which I am not) did also. It does indeed have some steep ascents, but also some very rewarding decents. I gear out a couple of times, somewhere north of 40 mph. Good times. Skip lunch in Bastrop, then pick up a nice paceline for about 10 miles or so. I eventually tire and drop back. Stop one more time about 14 miles from Austin to fill up my bottles, then charge into town. Finish up at 11:45. I marvel at my consistency, and feel much better than Saturday. Grab some barbecue, then head to the house of a cutie I met on the ride to hit her hot tub and drink some beeahhhh. yeah.

Brons2
04-18-2005, 08:53 PM
I've wondered if Washington is the only state to ruin perfectly good roads with that devil's spawn,chipseal. For those of you unfamilar with this abomination, it's a supposedly more durable and less expensive road resurfacing which consists of gravel in a matrix of asphalt. Rough and noisy.

No, they do that here in Texas too, and it's horrible for us poor cyclists.

coylifut
04-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Monday - off
Tues. - 2.5 hours with 2x20 minute intervals at a bit under threshold. One 600 foot climb at the end.
Wed - 3 hours of endurance with one 800 foot climb in the middle and one 600 foot climb at the end.
Thurs - off
Friday - 1.75 hours easy with one 600 foot climb at the end
Saturday - 3 hour structured workout with the team. 1/2 hour warm up with 2 one-hour "up tempo" intervals. 1/2 hour recovery in between.
Sunday - 2.5 hours easy with a two 600 foot climbs.

Recovered nicely. Ready to do something similar this week.

dave thompson
04-18-2005, 11:17 PM
For those of you accustomed to more genteel seaside settings, the Washington coast would probably come as a shock. Think of rough clearcuts and scraggly second growth forest coming down to a beach littered with huge logs which are tossed up like toothpicks in the recurring storms. After 25 years of riding there it still gives me the creeps.
The Washington coast also has towns named Queets and Humptulips. Now that's creepy! First time I saw the sign for the town of Humptulips, I amost fell out of the car I was laughing so hard!

The Pacific coast of Washington is ruggedly beautiful, windswept, lots of driftwood and very few people.

Madship
04-18-2005, 11:30 PM
Last Sunday Sweat & Spring Century 100 miles after a few laps around the parking lot. May be my best day ever on the bike. Great weather, course and the other riders were great to be with. My April Century

http://homepage.mac.com/madship/cycling/PhotoAlbum44.html

Monday 30 grueling miles into the wind. Much harder than the 100 I did the day before.

Wednesday. 55 miles. Eye appointment in Clifton Park. Went to my parents, visited then rode around CP for 90 minutes and joined Henry's Wed night ride at Okte. Good to ride with the group again. Streched out a bit on the back half

Friday 47 miles up to Ft Edward and back

Saturday 73 miles. Started out cool, but warmed up pretty quickly. Climbed desolation for the first time this year. Spent the evening supporting my wifes community orchestra.

Sunday 62 miles. 3 friends drove up to the house. Rode down to Stillwater for a lap on this years state TT course then back to the house via the battlefield. A great relaxing ride with friends. Had a great lunch with the friends then a nap with the wife.

Too Tall
04-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Tom, that was one of my clients you were chatting with and the race...haha he went "off the map" on the TT and ended up two towns away but he's not upset. He later asked me "who is that Tom Guy?" :)

This week and next I'm up to HERE with visiting family and the holiday and the following week we run a training camp and our wonderful Parlympic people are staying with us throughout too. SO all that to say I have May 12th or May 19th marked in my calendar to come for a few days. I fixed the exhaust system on the 56'...got a dry barn I can duck the old girl into? She hates rain.

I'd really like to race a crit with you and go for a ride next day...watch racing and do some track practice. Can't wait :) Haha wait til you get a load of my track bike :rolleyes:

Tom Kellogg
04-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Josh:

I talked to at least five folks who missed the turn up the hill. I checked it out on my way over to the crit. and there were not one, but TWO bright yellow signs pointing up to the right marked "COURSE"! My suspicion is that those who missed it saw the hill and decided to have an excuse. "The course wasn't marked..."

We do have a two car garage if the weather is bad. The ride/race schedule looks like this; The Fleetwood Derby leaves the Velo on Wednesdays @ 5:30. The Thursday Crit. starts around 6:00 at the Bob Rodale park (across from the Velo) $6.00 first week, $4.00 each time after that with your original number. Racing at the Velo starts @ 7:00 on Friday.

Give us a buzz when you are coming up.

BobC
04-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Sigh. You guys make me miss the days when I didn't have kids and wasn't an aspiring workaholic.

Sun - Shamrock crit. Did the old fart Sick Lame & Lazy (40+), then jumped in and did the junior executive Sick Lame & Lazy (30+) for kicks. half hour on the trainer in the evening to loosen up.
Mon - Commuted to work (25 miles total). 45 min on the trainer in the evening
Tues - Commuted to work
Wed - 1.5 hour trainer
Thurs- Commuted to work. 30 miles intervals with the boys
Fri - 1.5 hour trainer
Sat - 1.5 hour trainer
Sun - 1.5 hour trainer

Bob

Marron
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM
The Washington coast also has towns named Queets and Humptulips. Now that's creepy! First time I saw the sign for the town of Humptulips, I amost fell out of the car I was laughing so hard!

The Pacific coast of Washington is ruggedly beautiful, windswept, lots of driftwood and very few people.

What makes it even funnier is that Washington is one of the nations largest producers of tulips! Go figure.

I always regret not buying a humor book I saw back in the late 80's that provided translations for all the odd native peoples derived place names in our state. My favorite was the town of Twisp. Translation, "He who skips at the rain dance" (Not that there's anything wrong with that.). Humptulips had something to do with frustrated dutch farm boys.

Some other towns I passed on my windswept ride Saturday were; Tahola (on the Quinalt reservation) , Oyhut and Moclips.

coylifut
04-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Sigh. You guys make me miss the days when I didn't have kids and wasn't an aspiring workaholic.

Sun - Shamrock crit. Did the old fart Sick Lame & Lazy (40+), then jumped in and did the junior executive Sick Lame & Lazy (30+) for kicks. half hour on the trainer in the evening to loosen up.
Mon - Commuted to work (25 miles total). 45 min on the trainer in the evening
Tues - Commuted to work
Wed - 1.5 hour trainer
Thurs- Commuted to work. 30 miles intervals with the boys
Fri - 1.5 hour trainer
Sat - 1.5 hour trainer
Sun - 1.5 hour trainer

Bob

you rode close to 7 hours on the trainer. You people who can ride the trainer amaze me. I hope your schedule allows you to get outside more in the coming weeks. :D

SGP
04-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Sigh. You guys make me miss the days when I didn't have kids and wasn't an aspiring workaholic. Bob

i feel your pain, my youngest is 10, if i dont squeeze in the work outs on the trainer i'd have to miss playing with him to train.
in 20 years when he is out on his own i'm gonna give away my car and ride every where!

zank
04-19-2005, 07:48 PM
My season started Saturday after a spring of hitting the books and taking the MCAT. Yippee!!!!
Sat night - 2 hour hike with the misses to get rid of the test's ill effects and scope out the condition of the trails. Followed by pizza and beer...
Sun - 3 hours
Mon - 3.5 hours
Today - 2.5 hours

I can't wait to finish my new bike!!!

BumbleBeeDave
04-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Last Wednesday . . . 29 road, 18.6 average
Last Thursday . . . 24.91 road, 18 average
Last Sunday, 30.48 road, 17.8 average, then 19.67 MTB with my daughter, average 11.4 . . . It was during this ride that she told me she really wants a road bike. Why? “So I can ride more.” Wow . . .
Today . . . 30.58 with Tom-Of-The-Pear-Shaped-Head. He said it would be “mellow,” since I climbed Hadley Mountain with my daughter earlier today. Mellow? . . . 18.7 average. Yeah, right.

BBDave