PDA

View Full Version : Giro Glasses recent price

Nil Else
09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
What's the deal with 60-70% off on these Giro glasses everywhere (Performance, Jensen, etc)? I assume they are discontinuing them or something but I've never seen any other highend brand glasses suddenly dropping price so much before.

false_Aest
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Giro is gonna merge with Red Rider BB Guns.

New models for 2011

oldguy00
09-07-2010, 05:18 PM
What's the deal with 60-70% off on these Giro glasses everywhere (Performance, Jensen, etc)? I assume they are discontinuing them or something but I've never seen any other highend brand glasses suddenly dropping price so much before.

Could just be that they never really gained that much popularity. I tried a couple of models, and wasn't really too impressed. I'm always trying to find decent priced pair of sunglasses...............and after wasting my money, I always end up back at Oakley. I know some people hate them because of the prices, or that they are the 'Trek' of sunglasses, but man, they make some nice shades!

Nil Else
09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Could just be that they never really gained that much popularity. I tried a couple of models, and wasn't really too impressed. I'm always trying to find decent priced pair of sunglasses...............and after wasting my money, I always end up back at Oakley. I know some people hate them because of the prices, or that they are the 'Trek' of sunglasses, but man, they make some nice shades!

Right, but, like I said, I've never seen Oakley or Rudy drop price that much, ever. I mean there are about 3 or 4 different models that are selling at 1/3 the orig price and Giro doesn't really have that many different model glasses as they only started to make(sell?) sunglasses recently.

Yep, I have glasses coming out of my ears and, fit wise, so far none of them I am completely happy with. About a month ago I was checking out some glasses at a Sunglass Hut store and when I put on a pair of yellow & black Oakley that were one piece (non-foldable) and I was totally shocked how absolutely perfect and securely they fit me. I'll have to find out what that model is and get a pair.

oldguy00
09-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Right, but, like I said, I've never seen Oakley or Rudy drop price that much, ever.

Because they are so popular they don't have to have sales, especially Oakley.
The LBS close to me that sells the Giro sunglasses has had the same 7 or 8 pair in the display case for the past year+.
I wouldn't mind trying the Rudy Project 'Noyz' model, but no LBS stocks them, and don't want to order them without trying...

malcolm
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM

If you can stand not making a fashion statement with the latest oakleys or rudys look at aruba sports. Very light with three lenses for $99. I have the prescription version and really like them. Light indestructible frames high quality lenses and they stay put on your face.

firerescuefin
09-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I love Smiths...great on the bike (interchangeable lenses) and I can wear them off the bike without looking like a tool (at least due to the glasses) ;)

Our team is sponsored by Rudy...and most of their styles make me nauseous.

firerescuefin
09-07-2010, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=false_Aest]Giro is gonna merge with Red Rider BB Guns.

I think Red Rider may have had something to do with Schlecks demise....I mean slipped chain in the TdF. There was a sighting of a man yelling "you'll shoot your eye out kid" right after AC went on the attack.

BdaGhisallo
09-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I heard from a very reliable source last month that Giro would soon be exiting the eyewear business. They made a go of it but, I imagine, couldn't compete with Oakley which has such a dominant postion and the deep pockets of their new owner Luxotica (the largest eyewear company in the world) behind them.

I think that with the launch of their new footwear line, they have decided to focus their efforts in a new direction, one where they have some hope of establishing a resonable foothold. (Pun intended)

Nil Else
09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
BdaGhisallo, thanks for the pertinent info. Makes sense. I think Luxotica is the company that's been selling Ray Bans for at least a few decades from what I remember. I don't understand the Giro's footwear angle either though... aren't there already enough competition?

avalonracing
09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Those models of Giro are pretty casual though. If someone sees the Havik 2 at that kind of discount let me know!

Ken Robb
09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I need pretty strong prescription lenses so Oakley and others of that ilk don't work for me BUT: my local LBS sells a bunch of Oakleys and loves them for their rock-solid warranty and customer service. I guess this is a case where you do get what you pay for.

Nil Else
09-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Those models of Giro are pretty casual though. If someone sees the Havik 2 at that kind of discount let me know!

My most current Performance sale catalog had Havik 2 Compact for 49.99; that's 120 off (don't know the status now). Other ones were Semi compact/polarized, Tone, Semi Full, Fader, Instigator, Cymbal.

avalonracing
09-07-2010, 08:02 PM
My most current Performance sale catalog had Havik 2 Compact for 49.99; that's 120 off (don't know the status now). Other ones were Semi compact/polarized, Tone, Semi Full, Fader, Instigator, Cymbal.

I just check their website no Haviks to be found. Dang.

bshell
09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Giro is out of the glasses market. So is Specialized.

oldguy00
09-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I think that with the launch of their new footwear line, they have decided to focus their efforts in a new direction, one where they have some hope of establishing a resonable foothold. (Pun intended)

I'd be willing to bet they won't succeed there either. Too many better looking proven shoes out there. Did you see the pics of the Giro shoes? Kind of fugly..