PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect with Edge carbon wheels?

sfscott
09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
After a long hiatus from the forum, I have returned.

I've been eyeing some Edge/Enve 45 clinchers with DT 240s. Not being able to demo them, I am wondering what wisdom the crowd has on how they ride/what I can expect of them.

As reference, my go-to wheelset is a pair of Open Pros with Record hubs (ca. 2004) laced with CX-ray spokes. Those wheels have been indestructable and are easy to get tires on/off.

In the past, I have had Ksyrium SLs (too heavy, didn't like the accelleration) and some original Reynolds Stratus Clinchers, which seemed to flat all the time, and changing a tire was virtually impossible. I also wasn't impressed by the hubs on the Reynolds.

Any feedback ASAP would be appreciated.

nahtnoj
09-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I've heard from solid sources that Edge/Enve was having return rates on the clinchers due to warpage that were very, very high. They have made some running changes to address the issue. I would not buy used, and I'd go to a trusted source for new sets to make sure they are working with current stock and understand all the iterations of the product.

sfscott
09-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Interesting feedback. I have heard nothing but goodness regarding their wheels.

AngryScientist
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
others will probably disagree, but if your reference wheelset is record/open pro, a full carbon wheel might not be for you, i personally really like having a machined braketrack, and the reliability of an alloy clincher as a do-everything wheel.

not sure of your intentions for these wheels, but seeing as you're happy with campy hubs, perhaps consider one of the excellent campy prebuilt wheelsets, shamals maybe?

rnhood
09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I have not read of warpage issues but, there were some issues with Tune hubs from what I gather. But I very much agree with nahtnoj respect to buying new from Edge or a reputable builder - if you must have high zoot carbon wheels.

I just purchased a second set of Dura Ace 7850-24CL wheels for a second bike after looking around at other wheel options, carbon included. Its just that I have been so pleased with the set I have that its hard for me to imagine a better wheel. And I have thousands of miles on them. If I was going deep dish carbon I would either get a set direct from Edge (better ensures customer attention) or, the DA carbons (7850-C50).

rphetteplace
09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I have Edge 45 tubulars on dt240's, not clinchers, but comning off of da/open pro the only two words applicable is "oh wow"

Pete Serotta
09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
SEND A NOTE TO BRUCE K!!! HE is a very good person to talk to about EDGE.....

TO say he could be biased toward them is a very safe statement!! :)

PETE

Uncle Jam's Army
09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I have a set of Edge 45 clinchers (laced to Alchemy ORC/ELF hubs--great hubs) bought in October of last year and I had to return one of the rims due to deformation at the seam, causing brake pulsing. Sent the wheel back to Edge for warranty. Edge received the rim on August 12 and, although they quoted a one-week turnaround, I still don't have my rear wheel yet. Supposed to be here any day now, but it is no fun not having the wheel for almost a month now.

Before the deformation issue came into play, I was really liking the rims. Build up super stiff and relatively light for a clincher.

09-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Making an all-carbon clincher (not a carbon fairing on an alloy rim) is very difficult. Edge refrained from making them for a long time, knowing they posed more problems. They had, to my knowledge two (yes, two) warped rims out of about 500 sold in their first 2-3 months. Those buyers plastered complaints and photographs all over the internet. I haven't seen a bigger problem with them.

These days, good quality carbon composite tubular rims are, if anything, generally more bulletproof than alloy rims are. As such, for tubular rims there's no reason not to get them if you can afford them. They last forever, they don't break, and they are bling. You'll never benefit from the aero profile unless you're riding 25+ mph, so for many riders they are frankly just an ego boost, and you'll have to deal with crosswind behavior and the like, but yes, they are fun.

All-carbon clincher rims will always face the same issues as alloy clinchers -- you have a couple vertical walls that are nowhere near as structurally strong as a tubular rim. You can't abuse these rims with impunity, but you can't do that with alloy clinchers either. The Edge carbon clinchers are really nice to ride, they brake well, and are quite light (the Zipp carbon/alloy hybrid clinchers are a full carbon rim (somewhat like a tubular rim) molded inside a full alloy rim (somewhat like a Mavic Open Pro). Viciously strong until you bend the aluminum, and classic aluminum braking ability (and you don't need composite brake pads). I'd generally recommend Edge tubulars without reservation, but if you are starting from alloy rims, you might think about the Zipp carbon/alloy clinchers and not worry about all-carbon problems. I'd trust the Edge clinchers without a question, but you are dealing with an all-carbon bead and they deserve a little care. I wouldn't worry about warpage. Even if something did happen, Edge is extraordinary in their customer service.

Bruce K
09-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Not Edge.... HED !!!

I am pretty up to date on HED products and have ridden most of their clinchers.

I also have a set of Reynolds DV46C carbon clinchers with DT Swiss 240 hubs and Sapim CXRay spokes. I can report on.

BK

sfscott
09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Love to hear about the Reynolds, too.

Bruce K
09-08-2010, 04:08 AM
The Reynolds were light, fast, and surprisingly durable (they took a couple of smaller pothole hits that I was positive would end their life).

They tend to make a loud, annoying sound under heavy braking or when wet and for some reason the rear wheel needs to be trued about twice each season.

BK

Pete Serotta
09-08-2010, 06:10 AM
SEND A NOTE TO BRUCE K!!! HE is a very good person to talk to about EDGE.....

TO say he could be biased toward them is a very safe statement!! :)

PETE

Sorry BRUCE for the mistake...... HED I now recall as they passed me going up up "copper mtn"!!! :crap:

jblande
09-08-2010, 06:12 AM
i was on the campagnolo hyperon ultra 2 clinchers for a couple thousand miles and was extremely impressed. great wheels imho.

oldpotatoe
09-08-2010, 09:34 AM
After a long hiatus from the forum, I have returned.

I've been eyeing some Edge/Enve 45 clinchers with DT 240s. Not being able to demo them, I am wondering what wisdom the crowd has on how they ride/what I can expect of them.

As reference, my go-to wheelset is a pair of Open Pros with Record hubs (ca. 2004) laced with CX-ray spokes. Those wheels have been indestructable and are easy to get tires on/off.

In the past, I have had Ksyrium SLs (too heavy, didn't like the accelleration) and some original Reynolds Stratus Clinchers, which seemed to flat all the time, and changing a tire was virtually impossible. I also wasn't impressed by the hubs on the Reynolds.

Any feedback ASAP would be appreciated.

Anecdotal only but I have a customer who returned 3 before he got one w/o any warping of the sidewalls, brake track. I laced a Powertap to a new EDGE rim and at about 70% of final tension(about 70 kgf) that I was going to use the eyelet pulled thru the rim. Not impressed. As they have grown I think their quality control has suffered. Perhaps why they are now aligned with another company.

gasman
09-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I thought they just changed their name.

09-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes. Just a renaming. They were expanding into Europe and had a trademark problem there, so they just changed their name. Nothing else.

Some of their rims are now made offshore, along with some of their components. They released a couple products and then discovered quality problems that were quickly addressed. I haven't heard anything more about their clincher rims in a while. AFAIK, they corrected the problem immediately. About the story of a spoke pull-through -- those always happen with everyone from time to time. They can be diagnosed by whoever the company is when they get the rim back, but it doesn't frankly make much business sense for them to point fingers about the problems. Like the Toyota brake pedal, you can end up determining that most failures are due to user error, but the marketplace doesn't want to hear it. So you just replace the rim and hope that user doesn't make the same mistake twice. The most common reason for a spoke pull-through on any carbon rim with internal nipples is installing the nipple backwards -- it has a curved face that is supposed to face the hub, but if you install the other way around, it is hard to tension and it also places different loads on the spoke hole and causes it to fail. Check Weight Weenies for an incredibly long thread about one failed rim that was the subject of a tremendous amount of bad publicity, but which all the experienced wheelbuilders on the forum agreed was due to one nipple being installed backwards. It's not hard to do this. But other than that, remember that aluminum rims have failures too. You get better warranty service on carbon rims than on alloy, mostly because of the rim prices and because the manufacturers are mostly here in the US. (I have no affiliation of any kind with Edge/Enve. I just have built a LOT of their rims for both road and track and worked with a couple wheelbuilders who have done the same.)