PDA

View Full Version : Where bikes go, faucets follow.

MattTuck
09-07-2010, 01:15 AM
http://www.us.kohler.com/faucets/karbon/index.jsp

Just wow.

Nil Else
09-07-2010, 01:51 AM
What would be the benefit in this application be? The carbon look and weight saving, say, perhaps for your yacht or plane? Oh heck we can have our faucets or bikes made out of whatever material pleases us and no explanation needed.

rice rocket
09-07-2010, 01:59 AM
What's next?

Faucets in bare unidirectional carbon with sloppy fiber alignment?

vqdriver
09-07-2010, 02:19 AM
well, i like it.
altho that sure looks like a lot of seals to maintain.

William
09-07-2010, 03:54 AM
Folks, it's not carbon....it's Kar-bon. :no:

William

happycampyer
09-07-2010, 05:33 AM
This is just an intermediate step in faucet design. The metal-and-carbon models will soon give way to all carbon.

AngryScientist
09-07-2010, 06:02 AM
i'm holding out for the brushed Ti models

johnnymossville
09-07-2010, 06:16 AM
looks really nice. I wonder how well it stays leak-free?

djg
09-07-2010, 06:46 AM
looks really nice. I wonder how well it stays leak-free?

Never seen one of these, but my guess is that the actual plumbing is inside and that there's no issue of waterproofing the joint between cf and brushed whatever.

I suspect that the design goal is to sell stuff. That CF weave -- which is often cosmetic on bikes too -- appears on bikes, sailing gear, watches, certain car parts, etc., and (a) has a certain look, (b) gets commonly associated with high tech, latest/greatest, whatever, (c) becomes a recognizable thing that some folks find cool. So now it's on kitchen appliances. If it works, and holds up ok, there's nothing really wrong with that.

gemship
09-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Interesting but this doesn't surprise me given what I know of Kohler the co.

I met and dated a ceramic sculptor about ten years back and she told me in great detail of a experience living in Wisconsin and working at their foundry on her own art no less. Evidently from time to time Kohler will play host to select artists and aid in their work. In that respect I admire the company to engage in art and design, not just the usual bread and butter of their industry.

Birddog
09-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I suspect the CF application has a practical side too. All those flex joints might well be impractical for non ferrous metals. The weight alone could be problematic in keeping the joints tight but still flexible when extended horizontilly.

BengeBoy
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
I just wish they would stock and sell spare parts for the "fancy" Kohler faucet I bought 6 years ago, which broke soon after installation, and has stayed broken ...since a faucet purchase is sometimes part of a counter installation, this is one item where I don't want *any* moving parts that can break. :crap:

My experience with plumbing manufacturers is that they put some of the newer stuff on the market before it's been stress tested; they don't keep all the stuff in stock; and they don't support their "innovations" with spare parts.

Hmmm....does sound like the cycling industry, doesn't it?

bigreen505
09-07-2010, 09:46 AM
What would be the benefit in this application be? The carbon look and weight saving, say, perhaps for your yacht or plane? Oh heck we can have our faucets or bikes made out of whatever material pleases us and no explanation needed.

You're joking right? That faucet probably weighs 2/3 or less than a regular faucet, is stiffer for more efficient water transfer and damps vibrations better. ;)

AndrewS
09-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Those look like they have just as much carbon fiber as "white carbon" stems do - none. I'll bet that's colored fiberglass.

MattTuck
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
So, I started this thread before going to bed last night (saw a commercial for this.)

Hopefully my sarcasm came across when I said "just wow". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rereading my post this morning makes it sound like I was actually impressed. :p

Nil Else
09-07-2010, 10:24 AM
My experience with plumbing manufacturers is that they put some of the newer stuff on the market before it's been stress tested

Oh no... I can see "Failed carbon faucet pipe found to be the cause of a hungover man's head injury" headline....

Louis
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Don't run the water on "Super Hot" for too long - the matrix resin tends to get a bit soft...

avalonracing
09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Will it snap into pieces if you knock into it with a teaspoon? Maybe they have a Pro-Deal replacement program. ;)

BumbleBeeDave
09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
. . . an Ottrott after a bad crash. :D

BBD

Brian Smith
09-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Looks O.K. but for the money it seems like the material can offer more improvement in a bicycle frame than it offers in a faucet.

I'd bet for similar money, Loc-Line could do more with a faucet than Kohler is doing there.