PDA

View Full Version : Car wax... bike shine?

Dekonick
09-06-2010, 10:15 PM
In general, I have always just used a micro fiber rag, gentle soap and water and washed my bikes - followed by pledge...

OK - so for the first time in my life I actually bought a new car and CARE...

How should I wash and wax my car? Polymer sealants? Acrylic sealer? Carb. wax? Combination?

OK - so why is a bike different? Aren't bikes painted with auto paints?

So far I have washed using turtle wax wash, and applied ICE protectant... but form what I read there are other options... What do the forumites do?

FWIW - 2010 Honda Ridgeline BLACK pearl paint...

Boy, I lobe this truck... normally I could care less about my cars - other than regular maintenance... somehow this truck is different! Oh yeah, it is THE PERFECT truck for a cyclist!

:)

Charles M
09-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Man I could give you the complete overboard answer... Buy a porter cable power unit and all of the different discs and each stage of cleaning, buffing and sealing...

But If I had a new car, I would give it two coats of Klasse sealant glaze.

It's the toughest stuff out there and on a new car finish you should need virtually no prep.

An easier route, after having spent loads of money on "specialty" products is Mcguires NXT Tech wax 2.0... Good durability, great shine and LOTS less work than the Klasse (your arms will be sore with the Klasse).

Once you get a bunch of miles in and have fine scratches etc, pop back on and I'll go all deep detail on you...

[[EDIT]]
Just notices you said Honda Ridgeline.

Save yourself amptutation required after that much surface area and skip the Klasse or have a detail shop do it. Just go with the McGuires...

rice rocket
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM
The Meguiars NXT stuff goes on soooo easily.

AndrewS
09-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Car wax usually has abrasives to remove fine scratches and sun oxidation. I don't think your bike needs that - stick with Pledge.

rice rocket
09-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Car wax usually has abrasives to remove fine scratches and sun oxidation. I don't think your bike needs that - stick with Pledge.

False. You're thinking of a polish, or perhaps a cleaner wax.

And your bike probably does need that, oxidation occurs on cars, bikes, and everything that touches oxygen.

bluesea
09-06-2010, 11:54 PM
^ Actually many and most of the common car waxes are formulated with some level of polish/cleaner. Less so as you get into the enthusiast level products.

The difference between a car and a bicycle, is the latters wide open painted spaces that responds much more noticeably to finish care.

AndrewS
09-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Cars are also outside a lot more than our beloved bicycles. I just don't see any advantage in using a goopy water based product on something with as many nooks and crannies as a bike.

haneriali
09-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Get some Optimum No Rinse (ONR) for two-bucket washing (no rinsing). Keeps your black car clean with minimal fuss. Then use Zaino to protect. Easy to use; excellent quality; amazing shine. Read the tutorials on the website to decide which combination of products to use--but the detailing spray (Z-6) after an ONR wash will keep your vehicle looking fantastic. Enjoy -- black is awesome when kept clean.

AngryScientist
09-07-2010, 06:15 AM
woo, this could be a lengthy topic depending on how far you want to go, as pez said. there are, of course, whole forums dedicated to car detailing where people spend hours just like we do here.

generally, the best move is to make sure the car is clean clean clean before sealing it with a quality wax. this should be pretty easy with a new car. choose a good quality wax like the mcguires, which you should be able to get at any pep boys, autozone, etc.

congratulations on the truck, would you say its good for bike people?? ;)

54ny77
09-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Zaino: awesome stuff, easy to use.

Get some Optimum No Wash (ONR) for two-bucket washing (no rinsing). Keeps your black car clean with minimal fuss. Then use Zaino to protect. Easy to use; excellent quality; amazing shine. Read the tutorials on the website to decide which combination of products to use--but the detailing spray (Z-6) after an ONR wash will keep your vehicle looking fantastic. Enjoy -- black is awesome when kept clean.

snah
09-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Haven't used it myself, but heard great things about Mothers. BTW, love the Ridgeline, if I could fit myself, wife and the four kiddos, I'd have one myself.

pjm
09-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Lots of good ideas and tips on this site....
http://www.detailedimage.com/
I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things about Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant, especially on black.

Charles M
09-07-2010, 09:48 AM
The Blackfire is good, It's on par with Zaino and NXT. Blackfire and something like Wolfgang carnuba-poly are a little less lasting than NXT and NXT is a littel less lasting than Klasse (but like I said, it's 100 times easier to work with).

The Klasse stuff has virtually ZERO abrasive or cleaning. The orbital pad you use has a lot of effect on the car surface too, but on a new car, "sealant" products or a synthetic like NXT are all you need. (caution though as some sealants do have a light polish, like McGuires #20 that's used in a lot of dealerships)

The best source on line I know of is Autogeek.net... Video's etc...

If you wig out after visiting and think you'll have to buy 100 differnet things, dont. just PM me. I've got a half bottle left over of every fuching thing on that sight and boiled it down to a couple of products... :rolleyes:

ON bikes I take the raw frame and make sure to sun bake (Arizona remember) the paint for a couple of days (in the case it's custom, or fresh from factory). Then I wash it and seal it with Klasse... It's a small surface and not a hassle...

I have also switched over to using Motorex Bike clean and Bike shine on everything... NOTE this sounds like an advert, but after using their moto products for a while, I tried the bike line because they offered some. I burned through it and just spent my own dollars replacing it all. It's all I use now. The bike clean is VERY good, harms nothing, cuts grime and grease and lube run off better than any house soap or pedros, and it leaves no slippy residue on bar tape or grips and doesnt eat rubber... And the bike shine leaves a good non stick finish that doesn't collect dust as easy as pledge does afterward and doesnt leave a build up like Pledge does after a while. I have a review running in a week or so, butlike I said, I went and bought the stuff (same thing with their lube and chain cleaner in fact) after using it...

Pete Serotta
09-07-2010, 09:57 AM
good info and fair prices http://store.carcareonline.com/

owner is LARRY and knows more about waxes then anybody I have met

PETE

SEABREEZE
09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
The best wax I have used, and I used alot. Its called Callonite

Since 1912, Collinite Corporation has operated with one single purpose in mind: To provide the highest grade wax products possible regardless of costs.

The quality of our Marine Wax products are second-to-none. The formulations have won the hearts, loyalty and recommendations of our customers.

Paste Fleetwax (No. 885)
For Marine & Aeronautical Finishes. Developed especially to seal and shield against acid rain, sun, salt spray, bugs and other environmental acids. Easily applied and non-abrasive, wax will prevent finish deterioration and the adhesion of foreign elements.

It has been listed as the #1 rated boat wax three times by two of the industry's most respected consumer journals

Personally use it on my Cars, Bikes,Boat, and RV
Will out last any wax you ever use += less wax jobs.
They make auto waxes, but the 885 out performs them all.
Personal experience.

http://www.collinite.com/
__________________________________________________ ______________

Cleaners:
There is a company in Mass named Kar Kraft, they also make some of the best cleaners in the auto industry.

http://www.karkraftsystems.com/

Since 1955, Kar Kraft Systems, LLC. has been New England's premier manufacturer and distributor of premium automotive reconditioning, detailing and car wash products. Our dedication to quality translates into affordable cleaning systems for every buyer. Whether you're looking to put the sparkle on the shine to the car on your driveway or take cars from the garage to the salesfloor, we've got just the product for your specific needs.

Love there products..

Find out who the rep for your area is. They will come to demonstrate how to use and what to use. He spent a half morning with me, you will be a pro detailer, when hes done with you..

You can find there products in body shop supply stores.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Flex XC3401VRG variable-speed Dual-Action Orbital Polisher

Doesnt get any better, Kar Kraft recommends these to clean, buff and wax your car, great because of the varible speed. If you are a rookie, the varible speed helps you not burn your paint...

http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html

__________________________________________________ ______________

Like to clean and pre clean car etc with Kar Kraft products, and follow up with collinite wax..

Everytime you wash vechile USE THE KAR KRAFT WASH WITH WAX, use a german shami its more like sham wow, but much better to wipe water off car, no water marks, your vechile will stay clean and shinny for 6 months to a year , depending how you main tain, and if you leave vechile exposed to the elements.

German shami can be found in pro auto detail suppy stores...

__________________________________________________ _______________

The inevitable question asked is, dept of shine or longevity the deciding factor to wax your vechile.

Most folks ask for one that does best of both worlds. It doesnt exist.

So if you want longevity go with collinite.

If you want depth of shine the best on the market is P21S 100% Carnauba Wax - This brand new wax breaks the carnauba barrier with a 100% carnauba-base formula. You may apply the wax to a larger area, allow it to haze and then buff off with incredible gloss, ultimate depth of shine and UV protection.

http://www.p21s.com/index.html

You cannot apply both and think you will have the best of both worlds. Doesnt work that way.

Its either one or the other... your priority.

Tonger
09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Black is the toughest to keep looking nice.

Microfiber towels to minimize swirls.

Rejex polymer coating - requires only a small amount so a bottle lasts years, easy on, easy off, lasts 4-6 months between reapplications, and nothing sticks.

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

I have two black cars and this stuff works really well...

Dekonick
09-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Pez, ever try the Rejex?

deechee
09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
ditto on the p21s

friend of mine swears by it. and he's a nut. I've been too lazy to apply it and have been going to the gas station car wash :P

johnnymossville
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Meguiar's NXT is really good stuff. it seems to go on/off easier than most and it lasts a LOOONG time.