PDA

View Full Version : Can I shrink a jersey?

wc1934
09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Just received a nice jersey as a gift (was purchased abroad) - alas it it to big - anyone have any success shrinking a jersey. Could a tailor alter it? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

false_Aest
09-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Good tailor can fix it.

According to my GF a ****ty tailor can sew it wrong. If that happens it won't be stretchy. Slack needs to be built in when its tailored.

I've received small jerseys before as gifts. I've contacted the company and they've been willing to do a size exchange. Might be worth the digging.

merckx
09-06-2010, 06:56 PM
There is an easy fix. Eat a dozen donuts for two months, and presto, your jersey will shrink. Ask me how I know.

Peter P.
09-06-2010, 08:03 PM
You might be able to take in excess girth and slim down the sleeves, but you won't be able to shorten it; the presence of pockets and their location prohibits it.

Try to exchange it or sadly, sell it on eBay.

You could always tell the gifter you love the jersey but you'd like a different size. Offer to do the footwork for the exchange, if they'll give you the receipt, C.C. number, or whatever you need.

TimmyB
09-06-2010, 11:55 PM
You can definitely shrink it if your dryer is gnarly enough. Do it on extra hot and presto! My team kit fit a lot better after the first 10 washes or so with cooking it in the dryer. The jersey is 100% polyester and I got it down to about half a size smaller. If it's got some cotton in it you'll be able to shrink it a bit more... If I could do it again, I would just order the correct jersey size though...

Gothard
09-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Send it to my mom. She can shrink anything. My cat has a killer wardrobe...

dvs cycles
09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
There is an easy fix. Eat a dozen donuts for two months, and presto, your jersey will shrink. Ask me how I know.I have not tried that method but most of my favorite old jerseys seem to have shrunk just hanging in the closet these days. :beer:

avalonracing
09-07-2010, 07:48 PM
There is an easy fix. Eat a dozen donuts for two months, and presto, your jersey will shrink. Ask me how I know.

I think I've seen your advertising slogan on yard signs and magnetic car decals.