PDA

View Full Version : Deda Newton round deep drops vs. Cinelli 66

saab2000
04-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi Folks,

The more I ride my Croll set up with the Cinelli 66-42s, the more I think that I like them. A lot.

When I started riding in the early 80s these are what I used and I used them forever, until I started using ITMs. I have also used Cinelli 65s, but they won't work well with Ergos. Also, they are hard to find.

Anyway, I like my 66-42s and I was wondering if anyone has tried the Deda Newtons round bars in the deep drop? Anyone with any experience with them? Are they pretty similar in shape and size and reach?

04-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I have bikes set up with both the Deda Newton shallow drop non-anatomic and the Newton deep-drop non-anatomic (aka "Italian") bars. And I used to ride 66-42's for years and still have one pair on a fixie.

The Deeps are different in several respects, mostly positive:

1. MUCH stiffer and much lighter.
2. The bend from the straights down to the brake levers is a little bit sharper on the Deeps.
3. The Deeps don't seem to have as much reach because they tend to go forward a bit without dropping and then drop pretty quickly, unlike the 66-42's which start dropping even before they turn the corner at the top.
4. The bottoms are longer on the 66-42's if you like to ride at the very ends of the drops.
5. The curve at the bottom of the drop is a little more gradual on the Deeps than on the 66-42 (i.e, the Deeps have a quite even curvature from drop to top, while the 66-42's start gradually and pick up curvature a bit more at the bottom). This gives you more useful range in the drops.
6. With Dura Ace STI levers, you can get the levers about 3-5 mm closer to the drops with the Deeps than you can with the 66-42's, which is nice if you have smaller hands like mine. This seems to be partly from the fact that the mounting point for the levers is a little more vertical on the Deeps so the bars end up pointing more vertically, and partly from the lower part of the curvature allowing your hands to get closer to them.

Small nits. Generally they do the same thing, and unless you want to be retro the Newton Deeps are superb. The Newton Shallows are equally good, depending on the geometry of your bike. I happen to like a lot of drop and a bit more reach to my bars, so the Deeps work on some bikes, while the Shallows work on others.

saab2000
04-16-2005, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the answer. The picture is of a Cinell 66-42. I had just installed the stem and re-installed old tape, which is why the tape looks so nasty. I like the 66s and it sounds as though the Deda Deep Drops are an acceptable replacement for another bike.

I have tried several others (ITM, Modolo Curvissima, Cinelli Eubios, TTT Forma) and the best of that lot is the ITM. It also has the least ergo shape. I guess I just like round or limited ergo shape better.

Climb01742
04-17-2005, 05:47 AM
saab, if you go to cbike.com, their site has pretty detailed info + spec #s on the various deda bars. might be able to help you visualize the shapes. with campy, you can get a flat ramp on either shallow or deep. with shimano, deep seems a bit easier for me to get a flat ramp.