PDA

View Full Version : My 9yr old...

orjay-rides
01-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Does anyone else here ride with their young-uns?

Kevin
01-28-2004, 12:19 PM
I "ride" with my seven year old. She lasts about 2 miles. Its the best two miles of the day. I have a grin from ear to ear when I ride with her. I usually ride with her after I have done my real ride for the day. Hopefully, as she gets older she will still think that I am cool and we can lenghten the ride.

Kevin

kdavid44
01-28-2004, 12:36 PM
My 27 year old daughter gave me this for my 60th birthday last week. She has blocked out a week-end or more between now and October 2004 to spend on any organized ride or rides anywhere in Florida. she is picking up the tab and has started conditioning /herself to attempt 30+ miles per day. Her goal is to spend quality time with her Dad and to make up for all the times we did not have time to ride together when she was little. So you now know that is never to late or to early to ride with your kids. She knows how much my life centers around biking and now she wants to share it with me . She lives 250 mile away so regular rides are not usually possible.:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :bike: :bike:

Sandy
01-28-2004, 12:42 PM
kDavid,

That must make you feel like King David. That is really a wonderful gift that she gave you. I am sure the two of you will really enjoy it, even with the 27 year old whipping your butt, real bad, big time!

Sandy

djg
01-28-2004, 12:50 PM
then I ride with my 6 year old.

bulliedawg
01-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Kevin:

A seven-year-old lasting two miles is pretty spectacular. You are a lucky man, and I can understand why you have an ear-to-ear grin. Judging from your posts, spending time with your kids and riding your bike seem to be your two favorite things, and combining them must make your heart swell.

TmcDet
01-28-2004, 12:54 PM
I usually ride with my 8 year old a couple of times a week, wish it could be more and as she gets better on the bike I am sure it will.....her longest ride so far is 15 miles and average speed is around 11 mph

sam.g
01-28-2004, 01:05 PM
It may not qualify as riding time with my daughter, but it is definately quality time. For the second year my daughter, who is now 24 will train and run the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon with me this May. She also is participating with me in the Leukemia Society's "Team In Training" as a family fund raising event.

The weekly long runs have provided more time for serious communication than I think we've had since before she became a teenager. I've tried to get her out on a bike and she's even completed a 30 miler, but she's resisted attempts to convert her to cycling. So far even an offer to split the cost of a nice road bike hasn't changed her mind. We'll see!

Sam

MaxHr203
01-28-2004, 02:13 PM
My 13 year old had been riding 6 years and starting his 5th year of racing 5 State Championships and posted a 25.7 MPH 10K TT in last years state T championships., And getting tough for me to drop. Of course he rides a Legend Ti.
My 10 year old has been riding for 4 years and racing for 2 years He has 3 state championships and a 6th and 12th in the Nationals. He rides a 44 Classique
My 8 and 4 year old girls do laps with dad when we get home and are ready to start racing.
Nothing is more fun that doing what I love , and doing it with my kids.

Phil Selisker
01-28-2004, 02:56 PM
My 13 yr old son kicks my butt on a Mtn Bike, he's won several races and the NC State games in his age group. He says he wants a roadie, but I'm not ready for him to be on the roads yet.
He loves out climbing the old man, I guess that power to weight thing is true after all.
:bike:

Sandy
01-28-2004, 03:13 PM
25.7 mph for 10K TT at age 13- What a way to deflate a recreational rider's ego. I guess I will have to give away my new Ottrott ST- Just kidding about the Ottrott, but the 25.7 mph for a 13 year old is quite impressive to me. At 13, I think I had just learned how to walk without stumbling...

Speechless Stumbling STill Serotta Sandy

Kevin
01-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Sandy,

At 13 I just learned not to eat paste. I'm still wondering if I should stop sniffing glue. All kidding aside, 25.7 for a 10 k is quite impressive. I'm happy when I hit 25.7 going down hill.

Kevin

Bruce K
01-28-2004, 04:07 PM
I have been riding with my son for several years.

He just turned 16.

We have done several metrics and last year he joined me on the Pan Mass Challenge (180 miles in 2 days).

He also rides our club's TT series where he does OK and has tried his hand at cross.

It's been lots of fun and I'm glad we have shared and hopefully will share lots of miles.

BK

Spinner
01-28-2004, 04:24 PM
My 12 year-old son has been riding with me on a Co-Motion Co-pilot for the last 5 years. We regularly ride 25 to 60 miles and he loves it. We also ride our solo bikes together, however we have not yet ventured past 30 miles.

Riding the tandem has given him a great sense for dealing with traffic and other road hazzards. He also has a great sense of accomplishment after a long roll. The neighborhood kids are in awe of his biking adventures with me.

rwl
01-28-2004, 05:24 PM
2 miles, with my 4 year olds, with training wheels. I get to practice lots of track stands.

Some of my best memories of childhood (i'm 48) were riding with my dad. Its something I want to leave my kids.

Rick

MaxHr203
01-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Sandy the bad news is he was only 12 at the time in August! The 10 year old posted a 23.7 MPH over the same 10K. I did the 40K and over the same First 10K of the race only put 27 seconds on my oldest and I was 3rd the the Masters 35+with a 56.42.

Phil we race for The Cap City Cycling Club out of Cary NC. The Spin Cycle.
We live in Elizabeth City NC

Look forward to seeing you and you son out there.

Gene

TiRide
01-28-2004, 10:19 PM
I ride with my 9 year daughter whenever possible. Any reasonable distance does not warrant a car. On weekends we ride to parks and the basketball courts on half bikes or 25 to 30 mile rides on a road tandem. Weekday mornings, we take a tandem to school. Although, my 12 year old son does not share the same enthusiasm, I bought a Triplet to take them both on longer rides. I wish there were more good bike trails in South Florida. The uninterrupted time on the bikes lend to conversations with my kids that are priceless.

Have not been able to ride for the past few days since the temp dropped to the low 50s. (brrrrrrrrr)

TimB
01-29-2004, 06:47 AM
My just-turned-one daughter seems to like riding in the Burley when pulled behind our tandem. She's good for about 9 miles, then we have to stop (usually Starbucks for mom and dad to caffeinate) before the trip home. She has 42 miles for the year so far, and has been out in 40-degree weather. Her only two complaints seem to be if the sun gets in her eyes and if mom and dad aren't going fast enough. She seems to prefer 20+mph, and regularly giggles going downhil at higher speeds.

davids
01-29-2004, 08:58 AM
My daughter (10 at the moment) loves to ride. Since we live in a crowded urban neighborhood, we usually schlep the bikes to a nearby bikepath or park. She's done up to 15 miles with no real problems.

My goal is to begin to get her off-road in a real way. I think she'll like it.

She also occassionally rides to her (suburban) school, beginning at a (suburban) friend's house relatively close by.

She's no athlete, but I've been proud of how interested she's been in getting outside to exercise, even during the incredible cold we've had this month. She doesn't have suitable cold-weather biking gear, so she and my wife have been taking long, fast walks by the ocean. And she's been asking to go!

orjay-rides
01-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Saturday morn ride with my 9yr old. I'm the one in the back!

Phil Selisker
01-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey Maxhr203,
Maybe I'll see you at some of the events this year. I was a corner marshall the first year for the Habitat for Humanity race, (the rainy one). Next time your in Raleigh let me know, your more welcome to ride with me, Pete, Spoke and the rest of our weekend group.
Phil :banana:

Climb01742
01-29-2004, 09:09 AM
david s--
when the weather turns nice (someday it will, i'm sure) you and your daughter should ride out this way. there's the bikepath that runs from somerville out here. or pile bikes into your car, park in concord center, and just ride in any direction. roads are rural and not terribly crowded. and on weekends you'll have tons of cycling company. by the time my daughter (now 7) gets to be a teenager, i'm sure she'll be kicking my sorry...i hope so, anyway.
climb.

davids
01-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Climb,

Her 14-mile "marathon" was on the Minuteman Trail. She was amazed when I told her how far she'd gone.

I love riding in your neck of the woods (I just realized where your screenname comes from!), but my social orientation is Dorchester-Milton, and that's where most of my rides begin and end these days. We tend to head south towards Bridgewater or Duxbury. I'll have to look into some northwestern routes come springtime.

TmcDet
01-29-2004, 10:26 AM
I am starting to get interested in this tandem thing, but don't know much about it. My Daughter would really like to be able to go on some club rides with me and I had felt she would have to wait till she was better on the bike. The tandem looks like it could be a more viable option....any ideals on what I should consider if I were to look @ tandems for she and I....I also have a 2 yr old son that will be coming up behind her...My daughter is 8

TiRide
01-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Did someone say tandem

TmcDet

There are many options depending on your budget

Check out:
http://home.att.net/~thetandemlink/LearningCenter.html

Lots of good info and links including tandems and kids

bigwheel
01-31-2004, 09:22 AM
I've brought my 4 year old and my 2 year old daughters on some rides since I've aquired a burley this summer. They love it. My wife and my 13 year old son have accompanied us on a few occasions. We packed a picnic lunch and made a whole afternoon out of it. Very fun, good family bonding and we did about 20 miles on a bike path.
Living in Bergen county NJ and riding on the roads here with young ones is like suicide therefore bike paths are the only way to go.