PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know?

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know if buying stuff internationally is sketchy? Like if the price is "too good" is it just better to stay away from it or what? There is an international seller online that has ridiculous prices..I saw a Dogma frameset, the new one that is normally what like $6k? And they have it for $3k..unbelievable. Any feedback is appreciated.

Pete Serotta
09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
There is an old saying "If it sounds too good to be true it could be too good to be true"

Some folks have gotten good deals overseas from some of the shops. As to a frame I really do not know, but That sounds below costs for the US RETAILER, so I do not know where the profit is for the seller over there. I am sure he paid less than the dealer here, but I do not know. As to warranty, I would assume there is no US warranty that you would have to send it back overseas.

There is a dealer in FLorida, I forget the name that sells them cheaper and if it is built up, two guys in RALEIGH got them there. As to there reputation, I do not know.

Peter B
09-05-2010, 02:44 PM
It depends on the site/seller and the item. I've purchased things from tires to groupsets from Ribble, PBK, Total, etc. without issue. But a brand new carbon frame at 50% of retail would have my bull***** meter on high alert. Might be a closeout or leftover and a legitimate price, but I'd be careful.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I am not going to purchase anything from the website..but just look at this site really quick and tell me what you think. 2010 Cervelo R3 SL with full red for under $4,000...hard to believe. Here's the website:

http://www.kartika-chandra.com/categories/ROAD-BIKE/

Sounds super sketchy but if it wasn't I would never buy any more bikes here in the US..lol the local shop I go to is a Cervelo, Pinarello, Focus, and Ridley dealer, and I was talking to them about their contract with Cervelo and apparently if your on contract with them, you can't lower the prices that they set and if you do they pull their contract and blackball you pretty much. So the prices of them stay the same everywhere you go unless on eBay of course. He was saying that when they employee purchase a Cervelo, that they have to keep it for at least a year before they sell it, just crazy things like that and when I see this size..they are breaking alllllll of the contract rules. I don't know what to think..a Pinarello Dogma with full Di2 for $6,000..oh my gosh, A Pinarello Prince frameset for just under $2k..I don't know what to think.

BengeBoy
09-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Google: "Kartika Chandra" scam.

This is the first hit:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16338889

Plenty more like that...

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
That's what I thought..what a scam

dave thompson
09-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Indonesia bike shops=scam!

dimsy
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
this was touched on on another forum recently. the manufacturers such as cervelo or trek or whomever will usually have a list of dealers on their website, if the site you're thinking of buying from isn't authorized to sell a certain brand, beware. some manufacturers put limitations on where their bikes can or can not be sold, namely in-store and the internet, respectively. i believe trek does this.

bluesea
09-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, stick to the established int'l sellers--a $700 markdown on a Colnago Mxl is nothing to sneeze about.

Slightly veering from the main subject, but anything happened to Como bike? Can't get to their website for at least a month now.