PDA

View Full Version : ONE best bike shop to visit in Denver area?

BumbleBeeDave
09-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Looks like I will be in Denver later this month to attend an old friend's wedding. So I may have time to go see ONE area bike shop. Which to choose? Wheat Ridge Cyclery? Excel Sports up in Boulder? Some other one?

Looking for best collection of non-actual-bike schwag . . . local team kit, cool doodads, neat stuff in general. Things I can't get here at home in Smalbany. If I'm buying, it's gotta be something I can bring back on the plane.

Suggestions appreciated, but even Boulder may be too long a drive given the time I have available. Metro Denver is probably going to be better.

Thanks!

BBD

Bruce K
09-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Go have a beer with Bradford.

It'll be WAY more fun than a bike shop. :D

BK

BengeBoy
09-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I know you said Denver, but if you make it to Boulder:

I found this shop in Boulder worth a visit last fall -- great apparel selection, nice rental fleet, nice bikes on the floor, nice memorabilia on display. You can rent an Independent Fabrications bike if you arrange in advance; I wasn't that prepared but had a great day on one of their "normal" rental bikes, which are nicer than the normal rental:

http://ubikes.com/articles/bike-rentals-pg432.htm

This place is right down the street, also worth a visit:

http://www.vecchios.com/

I know there are others, but I was just visiting...

BumbleBeeDave
09-05-2010, 10:42 AM
No time and doctor OK after I get this cervical collar off is a question mark at this time. But I will consider all suggestions. Being able to hit two good stores withing a block of each other would be a plus.

BBD

firerescuefin
09-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Vecchios...Excel is just a forefront hole infuriated wall with a warehouspe infusion back.

firerescuefin
09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Vecchios...Excel is just has a storefront hole in the wall with a warehouse in the back

BumbleBeeDave
09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Vecchios...Excel is just a forefront hole infuriated wall with a warehouspe infusion back.

. . . what? :confused: :p

BBD

Wilkinson4
09-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Check out Salvengetti's or Cycle Analyst. I like Creekside in Parker. Vecchio's or University bike shops in Boulder. Mike Kone at Rene Herse!

mIKE

BumbleBeeDave
09-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I was in Boulder with my daughter on vacation 8 years ago. No argument, it was a neat place. We did go into another bike shop down the street while there, but I don't remember if it was Vecchio's.

BBD

I know you said Denver, but if you make it to Boulder:

I found this shop in Boulder worth a visit last fall -- great apparel selection, nice rental fleet, nice bikes on the floor, nice memorabilia on display. You can rent an Independent Fabrications bike if you arrange in advance; I wasn't that prepared but had a great day on one of their "normal" rental bikes, which are nicer than the normal rental:

http://ubikes.com/articles/bike-rentals-pg432.htm

This place is right down the street, also worth a visit:

http://www.vecchios.com/

I know there are others, but I was just visiting...

BumbleBeeDave
09-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I've Google Mapped it and it's within a mile of where the wedding is--way convenient and close to my downtown hotel. But I'm wondering after looking at the web site if yeah, it's a nice new store with tons of stock--but also the same stock as every other largish, newish bike shop in the country has.

I'm looking for character and individuality, not just what's newest. Maybe A drive to Boulder IS in order. Looks like probably a 45 minute drive on a Saturday morning.

OTOH . . . I was thinking local jersey's, though, and Vecchio's is, how can I say this diplomatically . . . uh, butt fugly, IMHO. :D :rolleyes:

BBD

firerescuefin
09-05-2010, 11:02 AM
The smart function on my phone is not so smart

Bradford
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Go have a beer with Bradford.

It'll be WAY more fun than a bike shop. :D

BK
That sounds like a good idea!

Let me know what days you are here and where you are staying. If I'm in town, let's grab a beer. :banana:

wgp
09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Whenever I'm headed to a new city, I always like to ask what shops are worth a visit, so I appreciate your inquiry.

When I was in Boulder ...

Vecchios is an amazing place - small but filled to the rafters with memorabilia from racers (jerseys, signed race posters, etc). Definately like a museum - not to be missed. Pro Peleton shop is worth a look too -

BumbleBeeDave
09-05-2010, 11:39 AM
. . . Pro Peloton?

BBD

gdw
09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Pro Peloton isn't worth the trip unless you're a tri guy. Vecchios is the one shop to see if you have limited time.

Avispa
09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi Dave!

Hope you are doing better everyday... Good speedy recovery bud!

Look, I was in Boulder just last month and spent some time bike shopping around... IMO, I think it all comes down to what you are looking for and want to see.

Vecchio's is good, but too small, but you can have a great conversation with Peter and Joe...They are real bike Gurus. Their jerseys may not be too fancy but you may pick up some cool T-Shirts and H2O bottles.

Excel is a waste of time, as all you are gonna do is visit a somewhat small show room where there is a guy behind the register that normally is too bored or busy to engage in a conversation.... There is really nothing you have not already seen in the showroom.

The Sports Garage has the best kits, in my opinion, second to Pro Peloton. All these shops are within 4 miles of each other and you should be able to cover them all in a couple of hours, unless you get distracted talking to someone in one of them.

You should, however, stop for some coffee drinks at Folsom Street Coffee Co.

In Denver, at Wheat Ridge, you can spend some time with Ron Kiefel... Wheat Ridge Cyclery has undergone a major update and it is a huge shop now from what it used to be a few years back... It almost feels like a "Whole Foods", but with new bike stuff. However, nothing special to see, but neat otherwise.

Take care,

..A..

Bruce K
09-05-2010, 02:25 PM
I've been to Wheatridge - I dragged Pete along too.

It's a nice, large, open shop with lots of nice stuff and a HUGE amount of clothing and accessories.

Getting the tour from Ron Kiefel was the icing on the cake.

Boulder is a fair drive from Denver if you only have a limited amount of time but if you get there Vecchio's is an old school bike shop with lots of interesting parts and vintage bikes on display around the upper part of the wall. Nice guys and fun to talk with.

Wheatridge is a lot closer.

BK

mgm777
09-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Wheat Ridge Cyclery is a nice, very big modern LBS. Lots of everything. For some colorado specific jerseys, kit, etc., go to University Bicycles in Boulder. Ubikes also has a great collection of vintage bikes and photos hanging on the walls. I bought my first real mtb from Wheat Ride Cyclery back in 1986. If you need any kind of service, a wheel built, or need to be educated on why Campy is king over ShimaNO and the leaping frog stuff, go to Vecchios. ;)

chuckred
09-05-2010, 06:47 PM
It's worth a visit. As others have said, they've remodeled, it's got an upscale modern flavor to it now. If you're going to be close, you might as well check it out. It does have a little bit of a bad name - I think because they've gotten big, and people have run into some issues with impersonal service and stuff like that. But, I've never had any real problems there, and because it's big, you can usually find what you need.

Vecchios in Boulder is a great shop, but then you're talking driving to Boulder.

Turin is also not bad, but, again, if you're going to be by Wheatridge, you might as well check it out. If it's not what you're looking for then you can go for a drive!

xjoex
09-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Vecchios is neat, has cool older and new stuff. But Boulder Cycle Sport has neat high end stuff and cool kits. Plus its nearing cross season and that store is cross central.

Ah I miss Boulder...

-Joe

oldpotatoe
09-06-2010, 08:04 AM
I've Google Mapped it and it's within a mile of where the wedding is--way convenient and close to my downtown hotel. But I'm wondering after looking at the web site if yeah, it's a nice new store with tons of stock--but also the same stock as every other largish, newish bike shop in the country has.

I'm looking for character and individuality, not just what's newest. Maybe A drive to Boulder IS in order. Looks like probably a 45 minute drive on a Saturday morning.

OTOH . . . I was thinking local jersey's, though, and Vecchio's is, how can I say this diplomatically . . . uh, butt fugly, IMHO. :D :rolleyes:

BBD

I LIKE that jersey, modeled after a wool Bianchi jersey. Plus they have a red/white/green one. Best of all it isn't festooned with product logos like most do.

I like Vecchio's. University Bikes also. ProPeloton has some nice high end stuff. Turin in Denver, Schwabs in Denver.

Bruce K
09-06-2010, 09:27 AM
But Dave -

A Vecchio's jersey is one of those iconic jerseys that will get a reaction from someone almost anywhere in the country. It's just that kind of shop.

I know they're rather drab by your standards ;) but the shop is fun.

BK

sw3759
09-06-2010, 10:28 AM
on the subject of Boulder area bike shops whatever happened to Morgul_Bismark bicycles? i stopped in there late 90's i guess and bought one their team/shop jerseys,one of my favorites to this day.they had lots of Serottas and tons of 7-11 team memorabilia?
Wheatridge had mostly lower end stuff a few nice bikes a few pics of Ron but nothing special looked like any typical big metro bike shop

Scott

Satellite
09-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Wheat Ridge is a great shop and Ron is usually in the shop and a down to earth person to talk to. In the back corner of the store is a nice little history of Ron's Racing Career.

Satellite

Innominatus
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM
For staying within Denver, yeah, Schwab's for sure.

It's small, but they cram a lot of high end stuff in there since they don't much bother with the lower 2/3s of the market. Good frameset selection hanging from the rafters.

Plus, it's right across the street from Casa Bonita -- which is, without a doubt, the creepiest Mexican restaurant on Earth... so you've got the makings of an unforgettable 2-for-1 stop.

As said, for museum-caliber mementos, memorabilia and jaw-dropping bric-a-brac, though, no shop in Colorado tops what Vecchio's has lining their shelves. I think they even have Fausto Coppi's soul in a stoppered bell jar.

Going inside is like turning back the clock twenty years, and you'd swear the Coors Classic had just ended the week before.

dixiesdad
09-06-2010, 12:18 PM
BBD.... University Cycles in Boulder has the University of Colorado BUFFS jerseys which are closest to your favorite colors...yellow and black :banana: kw also they have a ton of jerseys, etc. Wheat Ridge is a great shop with some local swag, Wheatridge jerseys etc. and where I bought my Serottas....Fred Nolting is an awesome bike fitter. Excel is great in Boulder for ANY current bicycle part and I find them helpful.. I disagree with those who diss it, they are great. Pro Peleton is also Boulder neutral in my opinion. If you want to try to find some extremely random parts and want to pay ALOT, cycle analysts on Pearl street is about 15 minutes from Wheatridge area. There is also my favorite Italian resturant there at 44th and Tennyson called Parisi...chef from Florence IT.

BengeBoy
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
the creepiest Mexican restaurant on Earth...

As a lifelong self-appointed expert on creepy Mexican food, I'd say so far this is the strongest endorsement in this thread.

EDIT:

Whoops!!

Just read the reviews on Yelp. I take that back:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/casa-bonita-lakewood

BumbleBeeDave
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Now I don't know what to do! I'm leaning back toward Wheat Ridge now because it's literally a five minute drive from my friend's house (the Groom), he's also gotten back into cycling lately, and he wants to go with me! (He and Bride have been together 10 years, so it's kind of a casual wedding day for them.)

Plus I've also been to Schwab's many years ago and it is indeed a cool place AND now my curiosity is piqued--just HOW exactly is this Mexican food "creepy?" :eek: :confused: :D

Decisions, Decisions! . . .

BBD

oldpotatoe
09-06-2010, 02:36 PM
on the subject of Boulder area bike shops whatever happened to Morgul_Bismark bicycles? i stopped in there late 90's i guess and bought one their team/shop jerseys,one of my favorites to this day.they had lots of Serottas and tons of 7-11 team memorabilia?
Wheatridge had mostly lower end stuff a few nice bikes a few pics of Ron but nothing special looked like any typical big metro bike shop

Scott

M-B went out about 1998, owned by Ron and Davis plus 2 minor players(altho Randy was the general manager). Great location on the hill before the hill was a ****e hole. Worked there from 1993 till 1995, ran service. Altho a 'pro' shop it sometimes wandered around trying to find out what it really was. Pro shop that sold MTBs? Bike shop with a high end component? Really liked the location, now it's a barber shop(Al's).

Bruce K
09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't know why but for some reason I thought I saw a shop flying the M-B sign either when I went to Copper Triangle in 2009 or to the DPF dinner at Frasca in late 2009.

Did someone re-open using the name or was I halucinating?

BK

bigreen505
09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
+1 to everything said above. Go visit Wheatridge just to introduce your friend to his LBS. It is nothing exciting, but is a decent LBS. You can go ride the two Serottas they have in there amongst a sea of Trek and Specialized.

Instead, maybe consider taking tours of all the frame building shops. Zinn, Dean/Ionic/Wily (all made in the same shop by Dean), Nobilette, Tiemeyer, and Paketa are in or around Boulder. DaVinci and Sampson (nothing built there, but lots of cool stuff in there) are in Denver. Honestly I think that would be a lot more fun than seeing bike shops. Sampson also is worth the trip if you like Colnago, he still has a bunch in there. Also, Eric Sampson will let you ride anything in the shop, and I don't just mean around the parking lot.

If you insist on going to Boulder to check out bike shops, Vecchios, Sports Garage and Boulder Cyclesport and the one next to Amante would be worth going to. Perhaps also University Cycles in downtown and also the one on the hill. Same place, totally different vibe and bikes.

I love Excel, the customer service is awesome, but I can't see going there as a vacation destination. (sorry JP)

Ken C
09-06-2010, 10:18 PM
To me Wheat Ridge is a not much different from a typical Specialized dominated bike shop. Not saying that there is anything wrong with specialized bikes, but I can see them almost anywhere. They are a Serotta dealer and have great services, but they don't seem overly unique to me.

Schwab's does not a have big show room, but they have a lot of interesting bikes. Last time I was there, they had a sweet Mondocino frame, a Torelli 20th Anniversary bike built up with Campy, a couple of the employee's custom Waterford Cross bikes on display, Gunnars and Waterford frames hanging from the rafters, Guru's, etc.

They don't have the lowest prices, but they have done some great things for me that keep me as a loyal customer. Plus they usually have the radio tuned to KUVO, which is a great jazz station.

Agree on Casa Bonita, although I think it is more of a freaky theme park cafeteria, then a Mexican restaurant.

For staying within Denver, yeah, Schwab's for sure.

It's small, but they cram a lot of high end stuff in there since they don't much bother with the lower 2/3s of the market. Good frameset selection hanging from the rafters.

Plus, it's right across the street from Casa Bonita -- which is, without a doubt, the creepiest Mexican restaurant on Earth... so you've got the makings of an unforgettable 2-for-1 stop.

As said, for museum-caliber mementos, memorabilia and jaw-dropping bric-a-brac, though, no shop in Colorado tops what Vecchio's has lining their shelves. I think they even have Fausto Coppi's soul in a stoppered bell jar.

Going inside is like turning back the clock twenty years, and you'd swear the Coors Classic had just ended the week before.