PDA

View Full Version : Best Prices for Speedplay Pedals

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Is there an online place that has good prices on speedplay? Ribble or xxcycle doesn't carry speedplay so if anyone knows any places, let me know.

Louis
09-05-2010, 12:23 AM
have you ever used Qbike.com (http://www.qbike.com) ?

They don't have everyone, but quite a few.

Birddog
09-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Speedplay controls the retail price of their products to protect their dealers. You won't find any deep discounting on their stuff.

oldpotatoe
09-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Is there an online place that has good prices on speedplay? Ribble or xxcycle doesn't carry speedplay so if anyone knows any places, let me know.

Try a decent bike shop. They will probably mount the cleats for you and some will do a cleat fit. Great pedals, even at MSRP-fair price.

iffyjoe
09-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Try a decent bike shop. They will probably mount the cleats for you and some will do a cleat fit. Great pedals, even at MSRP-fair price.
Try ebay. Lots of people buy speed play and then decide against them. You won't save a fortune even on ebay, but you should be able to knock 20 or 30% off the usual price.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I use the Shimano pedals and I tried a set of Speedplay pedals and they are easier on your knees, unless to me it seems like it. What do you guys think?

oldguy00
09-05-2010, 01:37 PM
best deal is usually probikekit.com

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Do you have any recommendations on Speedplay pedals? Do you still get the same kind of drive and power transfer with them compared to a larger platform such as the Shimano SPD-SL Pedals and the Look pedals?

firerescuefin
09-05-2010, 03:44 PM
The zeros are the way to go imo with variable float. I have about 50k on my current pedals and they work perfectly.

endosch2
09-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I get them at my LBS - I have 3 pair - graeat pedals - my LBS gives me 15% off them. You have to relplace the cleats every 3-4K miles, especially if you live or ride on dirt roads and get sand in them somewhat frequently.

dogdriver
09-05-2010, 05:17 PM
LBS's have fall sales on them (Speedplay lets them discount at the end of the season) starting about now. I'll bet you'll get 20-25% off if you look around...

That said, agreed with the previous posts that they're a good value at retail...

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Right now I am using a set of Dura-Ace pedals and they are great..but I hear that the Speedplay pedals are easier on your knees so you do get good power transfer? I am highly considering a set of them. Which ones do you guys recommend? And sales start here in the fall? Do you know when they lower the prices? Because that would actually be the best time to get them then.

Louis
09-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I may be wrong, but personally, I would be surprised if switching from DA to Speedplay pedals would fix a knee problem. There are so many other factors and the difference between DA and SP is not that large. JMO, not based on actual data.

Big Dan
09-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Time or Shimano. Pretty easy.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't have knee problems, I just hear with more float it's more natural..Team Saxo-Bank uses them so they must be decent.

Big Dan
09-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Team Saxo Bank gets paid to use them.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
That wasn't my point..my point is they must be decent and is firerescuefin is enjoying his, it might be worth trying.

Louis
09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Team Saxo-Bank uses them so they must be decent.

I wouldn't look to what racing teams use as a guide for what I should use.

If you want to try Speedplay go ahead. Variety is the spice of life and you may prefer them. However, I don't think they make anyone faster than any other pedal out there, especially DA.

Louis
09-05-2010, 06:22 PM
firerescuefin is enjoying his, it might be worth trying.

I enjoy using old-style Look delta-cleat pedals. That doesn't mean it's worth it for you to try them.

If the DA pedals work for you keep using them. If they are causing some sort of problem try something else. Don't just try the Speedplay because a forum member and Team Saxo Bank like them. Switch for a good reason, not an arbitrary reason.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Louis,

You obviously didn't read my post. I said that's not why I am wanting to get a pair, I want to get them to try them out and I was using them as a reference to say that if a team uses them they must be okay..that's what I was saying..ha

FlashUNC
09-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Pro teams are not always a good guide for what equipment's good and what sucks.

They've got the luxury of a company bending over backwards to provide them with gear the second something breaks, and are often paid just to get their equipment on the bike.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 06:35 PM
It's pointless even trying to say something in my own thread..I was using them as a reference to say they can't be horrible and I have read a ton of good reviews on the pedals..wowwww

oldguy00
09-05-2010, 06:53 PM
They are great, but so are the other pedal systems. The platform on them is fine as the cleats create a large contact surface. It is really personal preference, as the float on DA pedals, Time pedals, Look pedals and Speedplay pedals all feel different from one another (aside from the various amounts of float......the float itself feels different).

I love Speedplay Zero's. Go for it, you can always sell them if you don't like them.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Thank oldguy. I think my pedals have 7 degrees of float and a lot of the Look pedals have 4.5 degrees of float. I really don't know what to do about the pedal situation right now..

Louis
09-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Unless I missed it, I don't think anybody said that Speedplay pedals were horrible.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 07:18 PM
ha..I didn't even say that you or anyone said that, you kept saying don't use pedals because teams use them or because people in general use them, and quite honestly, it was getting annoying. I got your feedback on them, thanks, that's all.

FlashUNC
09-05-2010, 07:18 PM
My apologies if I rained on your parade. But as some others have mentioned, if your pedals are working fine for you, I don't see an immediate reason to switch.

FWIW, folks I've ridden with generally either love or hate Speedplays. Either they dig the float or can't stand it. And unlike other pedals, swapping out the cleats can be a more expensive affair, since the engagement mechanism, as I understand it, is in the cleat than on the pedal.

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 07:21 PM
It's fine don't worry about it Flash. Well, of late my knees have been bothering me and I need to go see my physical therapist because I have never had knee problems. I think I just over did it one day. I did a decent 50 mile ride, then the day after went out and did 70 and since i'm a newer cyclist it might not have been a good idea. I just heard the speedplays can be easier on your knees with the more float, i'm not sure. I like the pedals I have now I just think more float could be better.

Louis
09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Whatever you do, good luck.

Knee problems can be a real hassle. I've been dealing with them for ages. In my case I've found that the single biggest issue to be sure you get right is saddle height. There are lots of different variables.

Happy Riding.

shiftyfixedgear
09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
This thread resembles one of those old Abbott and Costello comedy routines !

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry for being/sounding like a jerk I just am bothered with a few things right now. I have had a full fitting done..and everything and my knees are bothering me..it's weird. I am only 20 years old, newer cyclist and my knees have never hurt, I played sports since i was like 3 years old and my legs are in the best shape ever, I don't know what to do. Louis your input was great, sorry for getting snappy.

dimsy
09-05-2010, 07:55 PM
i got mine on pbk and competitive cyclist respectively, liquigas color cromoly axle for a hair over 140 and the stainless spindle orange version for around 200 or so.

Birddog
09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I've used Speedplays for almost 20 years now and I like them just fine on 3 bikes. I previously had Looks and although my knees didn't really bother me too much I thought why chance it since I have damaged knees (no ACL in one partial in the other). I've never looked back, although I also have some Eggbeaters on two other bikes and they work fine too.
Birddog

pbjbike
09-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Hmm, the Shimano pedals should offer you plenty of float, especially at age 20. :) With your fitting, did they look at your shoes and cleats? If not, start by marking the very center of the ball of your foot with a tiny dot from a pencil or marker on the side of the shoes. Remove your pedals and clip the shoes into them, and position them in the middle of the float arc. Looking directly over the shoe, the dot should line up with the middle of the pedal axle. If it's forward or aft of the axle, the cleats need to be adjusted. For angle, I like my shoes just slightly toed in at the mid-point of the arc, YMMV.

If you are a new rider, did you build up some base miles before you started pushing hard? Groundwork is key. The old rule of thumb is 1,000 miles of spinning at 90 RPM or more in low gears, (small chainring), then gradually start pushing bigger gears...

Best of luck!

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't really build up any base miles..I just went for it because I am pretty fit and maybe that was a bad idea. For the past few weeks I have just been spinning them and staying in the small chain ring and I find that it has been helping a bit, I just think I might have pushed it too hard too early on and I need to back off a bit. What do you think?

tiretrax
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
my orthopaedic surgeon always asks me if my pedals have float, and he mentions speedplays. i asked him if they were more forgiving than look keo's and if he recommended them. he said, no, he just wanted to make sure there was adjustable float, and plenty of it. if your pedals have none, and you don't have a completely vertical stroke, that may account for the soreness, or seat height, or seat fore/aft, or so many other things. so, the moral is to get a good, professional fit.

if you bought your izalco at performance, i suggest you find the best bike shop in your city and pay the $75 or 100 to get it fit properly. performance is good for commodity items and easy fixes, but most don't attract the top notch folks. if you go to a high end shop and you're still having problems, go back and make them adjust your bike.

as a 48 year old who can only ride because of knee problems, i highly suggest you eliminate the problem now. it's worth the money you spend to get a good fit.

if you're in the d.c. area, i hear smiley is the guy to see. i don't know him, i just keep reading about people recommending him. if you're not in that area, i would pm him to see if he can give you a recommendation for your locale.

by the way, you should stick with the white cages (black and white throughout, unless you want to highlight the red, such as using red hudz).

Izalco Expert
09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback! I love this site more and more everyday.

oldguy00
09-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Thanks so much for your feedback! I love this site more and more everyday.

Here ya go, $159.77 US including shipping. Use coupon code tdfusa to get 10% off to get that final price.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1192

oldpotatoe
09-06-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't have knee problems, I just hear with more float it's more natural..Team Saxo-Bank uses them so they must be decent.

X series has essentially unlimited float, Zeros have adjustable float, 7.5 degrees in either direction. X series float is not adjustable. I suspect Saxo bank uses Zeros. No pedal is a panacea for knee pain, SP pedals included. Too many other factors.

BTW-I use Zeros on both bikes. 2 sided, completely serviceable, big platform(cleat/mount plate), most adjustment of any cleat in terms of left-right and fore-aft plus if you fall and kill one pedal, you can but one pedal. Try that with Look ot Time.

jblande
09-06-2010, 07:56 AM
honestly, if you are having knee problems so soon after being fitted, i would go back and talk to the person who put you in this position in addition to seeking out a doctor. it could be that something is not exactly right with your fit, and it would be a basic courtesy, in my view, of any fitter to see you again.

Lewym
09-06-2010, 08:56 AM
and they work for me. and they have for years. so no reason to change. On the other end of the float spectrum, I use SPDs on a couple of bikes that aren't used for high mileage road rides. I definitely feel a difference, but for me, the fixed pedals aren't a problem under 40-so miles.

If you are used to a no-float pedal like a SPD, the x-series will feel a bit strange initially (the first day, out of the saddle it is like dancing on ice skates). once you get used to them, they work well (if the free-float is a match for you).

like saddles and shorts, pedal choice is personal. what I like shouldn't matter to you. try a couple of options (buy a few used pairs if you are the experimental type) and see what you like. pro team use is totally irrelevant - those guys either ride what they are paid to ride and make it work, or if it doesn't, they ride what they want and keep quiet about it.

agree with the others that if you are 20 yrs old and feeling knee pain immediately after a fit, you have bigger problems than choice of pedal or the marginal delta in cost between your LBS and "foo".com. go back to your fitter, or find another that you trust. those will be the best cycling $ you spend this year.

Pete Serotta
09-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Do you have any recommendations on Speedplay pedals? Do you still get the same kind of drive and power transfer with them compared to a larger platform such as the Shimano SPD-SL Pedals and the Look pedals?

Also I like the stainless. (the one I would not get personally for me is the light action. The two I like the best are the X and the 0. The cleats and shoe covers are not compatible between the X and 0 If this is your first set I would recommend the 0 stainless.

The ti are a little lighter but of no value to me and they are more $$s.

I have used both and some of the newer folks would prefer the 0 for the free float can be adjusted and on X this is free float non adjustable but I have used it a long time and really like it.

I doubt you will find speed play overseas in deep discounts for they are a US firm. As said before SPEEDPLAY tried to keep price at a given level in US. ALso I would recommend as mentioned before to get them at a good LBS and have them put the cleats on and adjust for you.

PETE (If close to RALEIGH I would loan you a pair to try or if you take a 57cm bike just try my bike. ) I wear a 45 shoe.

William
09-06-2010, 03:41 PM
That wasn't my point..my point is they must be decent and is firerescuefin is enjoying his, it might be worth trying.

I've raced them and been riding them since the mid 90's. I love them. I know they aren't for everyone but I love the float.

William

Izalco Expert
09-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Pete- Thanks for the info and advice! I live across the US from you ha, dang it on my part. I am looking toward the Zero pedals myself :) I found a pair of White/Red Zero stainless ones for $150 :) not bad so I will probably get those.

William- I think I will enjoy them too, with the fixed position, I think that's what has been contributing to my knee pain, I only had the pain when I went more than 25 miles..which is strange but oh well :) hopefully this will do it.

Lewym
09-06-2010, 06:42 PM
I only had the pain when I went more than 25 miles..which is strange but oh well :) hopefully this will do it.

Not strange at all. Unless the fit is a disaster, most things are tolerable for reasonably short distances. Fit issues become much more obvious when you get up over 50-70 miles. That is when you find out which shorts, saddle, shoes, pedals, etc. . . work for you.

Although I usually ride speedplay x-series, during the winter I ride SPDs on my commuter for convenience (I have platforms on one side) and to accomodate my winter boots. Which is fine for 12 miles each way. But when I take it up over 40 miles, I definitely feel the difference. But not enough to invest in multiple sets of frogs, more shoes, etc. . . although I might someday.

Good luck with the zeros. One underappreciated benefit to speedplays is that the cleat is metal and will wear far longer than plastic cleats if you are lazy like me and don't carry cleat covers.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2010, 07:58 AM
i got mine on pbk and competitive cyclist respectively, liquigas color cromoly axle for a hair over 140 and the stainless spindle orange version for around 200 or so.

Normal MSRP plus a wee bit.

dcuper1
09-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I have been dealing with knee problems myself for years and usually what happens is I get something in my head like the cleats must be giving me problems or I must change my saddle and I go out and buy some new equipment thinking that one single purchase will fix everything.

The problem with that reasoning is that knee pain can be caused by so many different things that the probability for you to identify it by simply going out on a limb and buying a new pedal and that fixing everything, is like winning the lottery.

It might be that the SPD-SL are really bothering you and that the speedplay will be your knee saver, but don't count on it.

I don't think there is a body part that gives more problems to athletes and non athletes alike than the knees. Get the roster of the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc and check how many of them are injured due to knee issues. Check the incidence with knee pain among the general public. You will see that knee pain is pervasive.

Check this website and see how many different things might be affecting your knee in relation to cycling:
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

I am sorry but I don't have an answer to knee pain for you and from my experience no one really can give you one straight answer. There isn't one bike fit or one cycling purchase that can cure you from knee pain for the rest of your cycling life.

Understand that knee pain and people in general and athletes in particular is pervasive and must be dealt with very seriously.

My one suggestion is become knowledgeable of the different reasons for knee pain and try a systematic approach to fixing it slowly and keep a log of all the changes you make. It might be that at this time you should try a different pedal, but SPD-SL are very good in their own right and based on my experience you should first try moving your cleat positioning before buying new pedals. Also one bike fit doesn't mean you are set. If you are still having issues I would go back to the fitter and discuss it with him. I had to go back to my fitter several times after getting a fit. A fit is not an exact science.