PDA

View Full Version : Assos 851 Air Jacket

spartacus
09-04-2010, 03:46 PM
I've tried the 851 jacket on and it fits well and feels really snug and comfortable.
I'm just wondering if you've got one and have any thoughts after using it for a while on how it performs and wears.
I have four questions that my shop seemed unable to answer clearly.
The air blocking panels have small holes with what looks like a silvery material shining through. Is that silvery material reflective?
Does cold air get inside the jacket through the the small area above the top of the main zip and under the neck collar?
Is the elastic waist band at the back durable?
The Assos website states the jacket can be worn down to zero degrees celcius. Would that be about right?

Thanks, Sparts.

thwart
09-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I have one, it's a great jacket to below 32 F. Windproof in front, vents at the rear, so you don't get too sweaty. I wear a neck gaiter with it.

Guys I bike with ride the brakes on downhills when it's close to freezing.

No need to do that with the 851.

Bob Ross
09-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I've had one for two winters now.

It is fcuking amazing. I have no idea how they can make such a light, insubstantial-feeling garment be so warm.

- I have no idea whether that silvery material is reflective.

- Cold air most definitely does NOT get inside the jacket at the the small area above the top of the main zip and under the neck collar.

- The elastic waist band at the back is at least durable enough such that after two seasons of regular wear it still looks new.

- "zero degrees celcius", that's 32°F, right? Ha! I wear my 851 Airjack with just a longsleeve baselayer down to about 27°F, and then if I add a longsleeve jersey in between the baselayer & Airjack I'm good down to at least 18°F. You do the math.

rockdude
09-04-2010, 07:26 PM
I wear mind all winter here in Colorado. Below 32 F I just layer up under it. It's a good jacket....

dschlichting
09-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I'll concur with the others: super product. Maybe other brands / similar products of which we personally not aware are nearly as good, but you do get what you pay for and in this case, you get an excellent jacket.
That silver material is not reflective on my jacket.
I'll wear it well below freezing, with a long sleeve undershirt and a gaitor.

PBWrench
09-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I echo all of the above. Expensive, but if you are committed to cold weather riding it is well worth it.

mgm777
09-05-2010, 12:25 AM
The 851 is a very versatile piece of kit. If you want warmth in cold temps, just pair it with a heavier base layer. For 40-50s, I wear it with a very light base layer. However, for ultimate cold weather warmth without bulk, I wear a Fugujack. It is not as versatile as the 851, but for really cold rides, it simply works.

Louis
09-05-2010, 12:41 AM
At $370 it durn well better be good...

spartacus
09-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to ask about your color choice. The jacket comes in six standard colors and four limited edition styles. I'm just wondering how well white and yellow fair after repeated use and washing in winter conditions. Do they start to look a little dirty up the back?
I also like the orange and yellow limited edition styles, but again how will they fair over time?
The black, gray, and blue seem like suicide colors to me in poor winter light and at night. They hide the dirt well, but are they as visible?

Thanks, Sparts.

BillG
09-05-2010, 07:10 AM
The black, gray, and blue seem like suicide colors to me in poor winter light and at night. They hide the dirt well, but are they as visible?

I have the blue and it's pretty darned reflective. I feel like Michael Jackson but on a bike and all toasty when I ride in it.

Bob Ross
09-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm just wondering how well white and yellow fair after repeated use and washing in winter conditions. Do they start to look a little dirty up the back?

My wife has the yellow UmaJack (feminine version of the AirJack) and she's found that if you're religious about washing it after it gets mud-splattered, it'll maintain its color well. She also unfortunately discovered that if you try soaking it in Oxi-Clean, you will completely ruin the jacket...so stick with WIN or the Assos-supplied detergent.

spartacus
09-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I have the blue and it's pretty darned reflective. I feel like Michael Jackson but on a bike and all toasty when I ride in it.

Which parts of your jacket reflect? In my opening post I asked if the wind blocking panels reflected and the answer came back that they don't, but are you saying that they do on your jacket? To my eye the panels have a speckled silvery look to them and hint at being reflective. Thanks.

happycampyer
09-05-2010, 09:42 AM
The airblock fabric is not reflective. Afaik, the only highly reflective element of the 851 jacket is the strip in the center of the back pockets. It's hard to tell if the piping across the back is reflective or not, but I can tell that, if it is, it is not as reflective as the piping on either side of the lower back section of the fuguJack, or the little strips stitched into the backs of Assos tights. If you are looking for a high-visibility version of the 851 jacket, as you note Assos made a limited run of brighter colors, and the neon yellow is probably the brightest. To search for it, it's called "Soho."

wgp
09-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Check these other threads out - lots of info:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=41217&highlight=assos+airjack

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=59468&highlight=assos+airjack

I own both and use the 851 most of the time except on days below freezing - on those days, the Fugu and a single baselayer are warm enough for me.

I bought both at end-of-season sales (i.e. in the spring, when folks are clearing out their winter lines). You'll save a boatload that way. Buying right now is, unfortunately, probably the most expensive time to purchase winter gear.

FlashUNC
09-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Belgium Knee Warmers had a pretty complimentary review of the jacket:

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2008/10/assos-851-jacket.html

lhuerta
09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
The 851 is pricey but it will be the best $350 you will ever spend on a cycling garment . I wear mine when temps dip below 35 with a simple short sleeve base layer and down to 15 degrees together with a craft windstopper long sleeve baselayer. I simply do not ride when its colder then 15 degrees, but at that temp the 851 keeps me plenty warm and dry. There are many garments out of similar weight that will keep you warm at 15 degrees, but I have found no other that breathes like the Assos wind blocking material, which insures that you are both warm and dry.

I too was concerned about the tiny gap below the collar but have never really felt the wind sneaking through. The layered material on mine is not reflective.

I have found that Assos winter gear is much better constructed then some of the summer gear (materials, seams, stiching, elastics, etc) ...as I indicated, very pricey but very worth it. I would recommend trying one on before purchasing and going with the smallest/snuggest size which you are comfortable with. The goal is to get your winter gear as close to your body as possible to reduce chills and excess material from balloning or flapping in the wind.

Good luck,
Lou

dschlichting
09-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I have various Assos Yellow items including the jacket in question and all hold the color very well, in my experience.
I wash all my cycling stuff in the maching using Cold Water Tide in cold water and air dry and has worked fine for years.

spartacus
09-06-2010, 04:51 AM
It's probably just me but when I look at the color choices Assos makes available for this jacket I start to get that 'pull my hair out' feeling. Again, it's probably just me, but for example the Limited Edition versions have bold colored panels on the back, inner arms, and lower abdomen, but nothing but black on the shoulders and chest and outer arms. I think I would prefer color on the shoulders and chest and outer arms for better overall visibility. I might be happier with a black lower back to hide any rear wheel spray and dirt ( I can imagine any dirty oil spots might be difficult to shift from the Soho color - and the standard white and yellow color options too).
Did I misread an earlier thread, or is Assos including its own washing powder when selling this jacket?