PDA

View Full Version : Loooong Setback Seatpost?

slowandsteady
09-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Who makes a seatpost with a reeeeeeally long setback?
I know VO has one with 30mm anyone else similar (in black) or even longer?

Matt S.

AngryScientist
09-04-2010, 07:46 AM
FSA makes one with gobs of setback, i believe this one is listed as 35mm setback:

http://www.cyclecube.com/wp-content/uploads/image/09k-force%20light%20sb32.jpg

AngryScientist
09-04-2010, 07:48 AM
and for something cheaper truvativ has a 40mm one:

http://www.togoparts.com/items/images/item-1231224510.jpg

William
09-04-2010, 09:15 AM
http://www.nexternal.com/icycles/images/hellbent.jpg

ahumblecycler
09-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Wow, not sure why you need a setback that long but whatever it takes to enjoy the ride.

I know Profile Designs makes a Fastforward seat post, that should on paper, be able to be flipped and effectively lower the seat tube angle. I will say, however, that it looks good on paper and I have no idea if it would work in real life ... reality sucks sometimes.

Good luck.

merlincustom1
09-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Try Velo-Orange

bfd
09-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Don't forget the Nitto Way Back:

http://www.rivbike.com/images/products/full/0000/2178/11-048_waybackfullshovedbak.jpg

http://www.rivbike.com/images/products/full/0000/2178/11-048_waybackfullshovedbak.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
09-04-2010, 12:02 PM
. . . to compensate for a frame that's too short lengthwise?

I'm not a fit expert, so I wonder when it becomes counterproductive to handling or otherwise bio-mechanically to use this much setback. If you require setback beyond a certain point to try to achieve bio-mechanical balance, where's the point where you should just stop trying to apply a bigger band-aid and get a properly sized frame? :confused:

BBD

Louis
09-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Seems to me there are only two things that could justify the need for this sort of seatpost: 1) A STA that's way too steep, or 2) Some non-standard leg length proportions. The length of the TT should have no effect on saddle set back since that's a variable used to control sit-bone position relative to the BB and nothing else. If you want to try to get farther away from the bars the correct way to do it would be to move the bars, not your butt.

Caveat: I'm not a frame designer.

rice rocket
09-04-2010, 01:02 PM
. . . to compensate for a frame that's too short lengthwise?

I'm not a fit expert, so I wonder when it becomes counterproductive to handling or otherwise bio-mechanically to use this much setback. If you require setback beyond a certain point to try to achieve bio-mechanical balance, where's the point where you should just stop trying to apply a bigger band-aid and get a properly sized frame? :confused:

BBD

BBD, are you suggesting he size up or down?

I'm maxing out the setback on a 25mm post on my 49cm (TT 515mm), 90mm stem. The frame has a 75 deg seatpost angle. That's where my fitter put me, because I have a disproportionately long femur.

Unless I get a full custom frame w/ a slacker seat tube angle, I'm not I'm sure how I could ride most modern bikes? Seatpost angle doesn't change enough in my TT size range to provide enough functional difference.

kramnnim
09-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Look Ergopost has a lot of fore/aft adjustment...can't seem to find the max setback, though.

BumbleBeeDave
09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
BBD, are you suggesting he size up or down?

I'm maxing out the setback on a 25mm post on my 49cm (TT 515mm), 90mm stem. The frame has a 75 deg seatpost angle. That's where my fitter put me, because I have a disproportionately long femur.

Unless I get a full custom frame w/ a slacker seat tube angle, I'm not I'm sure how I could ride most modern bikes? Seatpost angle doesn't change enough in my TT size range to provide enough functional difference.

I just agree with Louis. If you're having to use a post with that much setback just to get the proper position of sit bone relative to the BB, then maybe the frame is too small for you. Same goes if you have to stick a 140mm stem on there just to get proper position. There's only so much you can do to make a frame fit you if you're too big or too small for it.

BBD

dimsy
09-04-2010, 04:22 PM
when i mounted a brooks saddle to my seatposts all with a setback of 20 - 25 mm or so i found that the position on the post on which the saddle rests even when pushed back as far as possible is less setback than with a regular saddle.

in this case i see a seatpost with that much setback to be right to offset the funky position of the rails.

much like the picture someone posted up above of the nitto post.

Bob Ross
09-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Selle Italia Monolink...but it seems to require a proprietary saddle.

T.J.
09-04-2010, 06:10 PM
The 3T Limited I have has 30 mm of set back.

Bob Loblaw
09-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Get fitted.

BL

merlincustom1
09-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Fizik Arione at 300mm will give you some range on the rails, but obviously all the advice here about proper fit is spot on.