PDA

View Full Version : OT Ipod Shuffle and ear buds

toaster
09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Why is it I'm finding that alot of people seem to be experiencing problems with the volume control on the wire of the Apple Ipod Shuffle?

Mine stopped working for controlling volume, and yes it was exposed to sweat but aren't most anyway??

Pete Serotta
09-03-2010, 04:45 PM
My IPOD shuffle is quite old but no problems with turning the volume up or down. Moisture could be the factor causing it but I have never heard of it from the others at the gym.

Have not used it on the bike though ,but with my phone I do put it in a small plastic bag (It is a blackberry phone) when out riding.

I Have had problems with that and moisture over the years

Charles M
09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
stockers are absolutely not sweat proof.

You should get a mini cover for the shuffle and sport / sweat resist buds...

GuyGadois
09-03-2010, 06:38 PM
I think this is the reason Apple abandoned the volume on the earbud thing and went back to the old style Shuffle starting next week. My older shuffle just went through the wash for the 1,222,384 time and Eminem still cussing on the songs...

BumbleBeeDave
09-03-2010, 09:16 PM
. . . that the new Nano has a mono switch to enable you to listen to both channels through one earbud . . .

MONO AUDIO
If your hearing is limited in one ear, turn on Mono Audio to route audio into both earbuds so you can hear both channels in either ear.

Hmmm . . . Also sounds pretty good for riding with only one earbud so as to still hear traffic--which is exactly what I just finished modifying some earbuds for my present Nano to do.

I'm betting you will soon see single earbuds from at least one third party vendor advertised for wearing in situations where safety is a priority. Of course, you will also see various disclaimers on their ads and packaging reminding purchasers that driving with earbuds illegal in many states, blah, blah, blah . . . to cover their butts when somebody gets flattened by a bus while out riding their bike. :rolleyes:

The prior shuffle was just too small. That and the remote controls on the cord forced you to buy special (Apple) earbuds in order to have any controls. Bet the third party vendors didn't like that too much!

BBD

rustychain
09-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Just fold a bit of tape over the control and it will survive sweat just fine. It's moisture. I also suggest you put your iPod in a zip lock bag. Sweat will kill it.

JeffS
09-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I think this is the reason Apple abandoned the volume on the earbud thing and went back to the old style Shuffle starting next week. My older shuffle just went through the wash for the 1,222,384 time and Eminem still cussing on the songs...

Yep. This style shuffle was one of the best bets for an athletic player.