PDA

View Full Version : Honda Ridgeline and Bikes... :)

Dekonick
09-02-2010, 09:02 PM
OK - for anyone looking for a new car - might I suggest a Honda Ridgeline truck?

I just bought a 2010 and am in love with what it offers - utility without excess. I know 'truck' guys look and laugh, but it really is fantastic for the average Joe.

For starters it fits in my garage! I don't know of any other full cab (seats 5 adults comfortably, bot more importantly my dog, 2 kids and wife are happy and comfortable) that can fit in the typical garage. This does! It is CLOSE... really tight fit but it works.

Second - options for bikes! If you flip up the back seats, a bike can fit completely assembled! From what I hear the designer is a mountain biker and took this to heart. I have a roof rack so it can hold bikes up top, I have a fork mount bar in the back and it will hold up to 4 bikes that way (I only have 2 mounts. Works just fine for me.) I have seen a wheel rack that will hold 4 bikes in the bed if you drop the tail gate, but I prefer the fork mount.

Hitch as well... you can put a bike rack on the hitch! Options galore!

ALSO it has a TRUNK! The trunk is HUGE! You can fit 'the gimp' as well as your shoes, helmet, change of clothes, beer, golf clubs (why golf when you can bike?) goodness, you can fit just about anything and then some. MUCH more than a bed mounted tool box for certain! AND it LOCKS!

I love this truck more and more every day. It isn't going to run with the 'big boys' - it was never made to do that... but for utility it does 90% of what a SUV, truck, and family car should.

Wow. I don't understand why they aren't everywhere! Awesome concept. Now - remember - if you need a truck to do big truck duties, this is not what you want... but if you go to the home depot, ride bikes, tailgate, do light towing (5000 lb towing) this is the ticket.

Wish I had bought this 3 years ago...

:)

Louis
09-02-2010, 09:05 PM
What kind of gas mileage does it get? How does it handle on curvy roads? ;)

Dekonick
09-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Well - it is NEW and gas consumption improves as it breaks in... but I am getting 14.7 now... it was getting 12 when I first got it at 70 miles (now at 300)

I read reports from 16-24 depending on how you drive.

As far as how does it ride - think car and not truck.

Honestly, it feels like a really nice plush SUV and not a truck. It has 4 wheel independent suspension... and rides that way! I drive LOTS of trucks... LOTS. From 60,000+ lb rescue squads and 45,000lb fire engines to any type of SUV or full size pick up truck you can think of. The fire department I work for has at one time or another owned just about all of them. This ride is unique in the 'truck' realm... it feels like a car. That along with the trunk are why I bought it (and it fits in my garage!)

I expect to get 17-20 mpg... not bad for 4wd... After last winter I knew my minivan had to go (minivan = best vehicle for bikes bar none... but they suck in the snow!)

There is no excuse for me not to get to work. The management could care less... if a storm is brewing, get to work the day before... etc...

Late? What ??? LATE??? Ummmm.... again... no excuse is good enough.

So - this truck is fantastic in the snow. Better than just about any other 4wd... and it works with BIKES! It is a win/win for me. Last year my van sat in a snow drift for 3 days before I could get her out. I missed out on a lot of overtime... NEVER AGAIN!

:banana:

AngryScientist
09-03-2010, 06:12 AM
glad you found something you liked. personally i could never drive anything that large on a daily basis, but i understand different people have different wants and needs.

Also, as you are a member of the fire department, i think its responsible and excellent of you to have a vehicle that will allow you to get where you need to be in all conditions.

Dekonick
09-03-2010, 06:29 AM
I totally agree with you about driving large vehicles every day. For a family, it makes sense to have a minivan or similar, and a small car. For me, I needed 4wd or AWD and be able to haul all of my junk. A big selling point on the RL was the trunk. I like being able to put my turn out gear in a trunk and keep all of the chemicals and carcinogens away from the interior 'living space'. I don't want to expose myself or my kids to that crap when I don't need to given that cancer is a big killer of fire fighters - lost 2 close friends recently from CA.

But - seriously - it is the perfect truck/SUV/car combo and will work great for 90% or more of the fokls who 'need' a truck.

Did I mention it holds bikes??? :banana:

AngryScientist
09-03-2010, 06:51 AM
i hear ya. i actually own a jet ski and regularly haul it and surfing/kayaking/wakeboarding/biking/skiing gear all over the country. fortunately the wife can put up with driving an SUV so i can drive my little VW daily:)

we would definitely consider a ridgeline at some point if her truck goes to that big junkyard in the sky.