- 1 tube
- 2 tire levers
- 1 patch kit
- 1 multi-tool, the type that includes the chain tool
- 2 16g CO2 cartridges and a valve.
- 2 latex gloves
- 2 "Go Towels"
- 1 Topeak Micro Rocket Mini-pump

There are still room to spare and if I expand it I can put an iPhone in it.

I am updating my steel bike for winter commuting and I am getting an Arione. I already have the CX in my Merlin and it has the ICS slot. I am thinking that if I get one with ICS slot in the commuter bike then I can move the saddle bag among the bikes.

My question is: how much would I be able to fit in the ICS bag ...?

Thanks in advance.

-Johnny

RADaines
09-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I currently have a Topeak Aero Wedge Medium with the following content:

- 1 tube
- 2 tire levers
- 1 patch kit
- 1 multi-tool, the type that includes the chain tool
- 2 16g CO2 cartridges and a valve.
- 2 latex gloves
- 2 "Go Towels"

The above items should fit (just). I am assuming that the Micro Rocket is a small pump. I basically have the same items in my bag except for the gloves and Go Towels.

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks. The Microrocket is a mini-pump. I can have it attached to the Merlin frame and I have another small pump for the Jamis.

ahumblecycler
09-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I have the medium version, and my contents include:

-2 tubes
-2 CO2 16 oz
-CO2 inflater head
-1tire lever
-industrial rag
-multi tool
-room to spare

I keep tire liner patches in my pocket along with my ID and cash.

I suppose you could put an Iphone between the two tubes but I personally wouldn't.

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I have the medium version, and my contents include:

-2 tubes
-2 CO2 16 oz
-CO2 inflater head
-1tire lever
-industrial rag
-multi tool
-room to spare

I keep tire liner patches in my pocket along with my ID and cash.

I suppose you could put an Iphone between the two tubes but I personally wouldn't.

That brings up another question. Do you worry about moisture issues if you put your phone in the jersey pocket?

ahumblecycler
09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
That brings up another question. Do you worry about moisture issues if you put your phone in the jersey pocket?

I do not, but I admit that I almost always secure my phone in a zip lock bag. I do this because my area (MO-KS) has frequent, brief periods of rain especially when it is only 30% likely (never fails). Otherwise I keep my Eris is exposed in my middle pocket or I will slip it into a soft Oakley case.

rice rocket
09-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I put my Samsung Galaxy S in my jersey pocket because it has Google's My Track's app running so I can get speed/elevation plots. I don't have anything but a screen protector and it's fine. I go face up though (screen facing outward), and avoid the rain like the plague. :p

Tux: why are you riding with CO2 and a pump? Are your rides so long that the CO2 bleeds out before the end of your ride? ;)

I have the Fizik small, I ride with everything you listed except the pump and the towels. And instead of a "multi-tool", I carry the 3, 4, 5, and 6mm individual allen keys + a Park Tool mini-brute chaintool.

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I put my Samsung Galaxy S in my jersey pocket because it has Google's My Track's app running so I can get speed/elevation plots. I don't have anything but a screen protector and it's fine. I go face up though (screen facing outward), and avoid the rain like the plague. :p

Tux: why are you riding with CO2 and a pump? Are your rides so long that the CO2 bleeds out before the end of your ride? ;)

I have the Fizik small, I ride with everything you listed except the pump and the towels. And instead of a "multi-tool", I carry the 3, 4, 5, and 6mm individual allen keys + a Park Tool mini-brute chaintool.

Well, pump is for insurance. I also like to inflate the tube a little before putting it in the tire. The pump is only 6 inces long and weighs 65g. Minimal hassle for insurance purpose.

The phone is heavy though. I usually have it on the outside pocket and the weight managed to strip the thread of the pocket of my Voler jersey. That is why I started to put it in the the saddle bag. But I think I will try using the middle pocket more.

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I do not, but I admit that I almost always secure my phone in a zip lock bag. I do this because my area (MO-KS) has frequent, brief periods of rain especially when it is only 30% likely (never fails). Otherwise I keep my Eris is exposed in my middle pocket or I will slip it into a soft Oakley case.

Soft Oakley case! That is the ticket. I think I have one lying around in the house.

AngryScientist
09-02-2010, 12:43 PM
i have a miniature neoprene camera case that i slip my blackberry into before putting in my jersey pocket, keeps it nice and dry and offers a little padding too.

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
i have a miniature neoprene camera case that i slip my blackberry into before putting in my jersey pocket, keeps it nice and dry and offers a little padding too.

That would work. I am still waiting for my free apple case to arrive :)

jmeloy
09-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Soft Oakley case! That is the ticket. I think I have one lying around in the house.
My experience is the same but my mini pump goes in jersey pocket.
If you haven't taken a look at the waterproof bike wallets and phone sleeves our own xjoex offers on the forum you are missing the perfect answer for a iphone/bberry/etc. Slide in, slightly padded, and waterproof. I've bought two so far and he's a great guy to boot. Will do custom colors for you fashionistas.
Soulrun (http://soulrun.com/Welcome.html)

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 01:36 PM
My experience is the same but my mini pump goes in jersey pocket.
If you haven't taken a look at the waterproof bike wallets and phone sleeves our own xjoex offers on the forum you are missing the perfect answer for a iphone/bberry/etc. Slide in, slightly padded, and waterproof. I've bought two so far and he's a great guy to boot. Will do custom colors for you fashionistas.
Soulrun (http://soulrun.com/Welcome.html)

Thanks. I should look into this if my current solution doesn't work. the fleece interior looks nice as the phone has the invisible shield on and it would peel off if it sticks to other "plastic like" surface.

ahumblecycler
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM

PM me your details if you cannot locate one; I suspect I have an extra one laying around (or a Tifosi or Smith) I will send your way.

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 02:39 PM
PM me your details if you cannot locate one; I suspect I have an extra one laying around (or a Tifosi or Smith) I will send your way.

Thanks! I should have one lying around from a pair of Oakley that I lost eons ago.

cody.wms
09-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Get some of these:

http://www.loksak.com/

xjoex
09-02-2010, 04:17 PM
***Moderators - Please feel free to delete this if it not welcome. My apologies in advance if this is against policy. ***

Laura and I (soulrun) make a waterproof wallet for holding you phone and keys/id/cash/gel.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/soulrun?section_id=6930519

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_430xN.163900917.jpg

http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.170064416.jpg

ride on,
-Joe

jmeloy
09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
since you are an active member I can't imagine they mind. Put up a pic of the phone/camera sleeve. Those made all the difference for me.

RFC
09-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks! I should have one lying around from a pair of Oakley that I lost eons ago.

I also use a soft glasses case for my BlackBerry. BTW, it doesn't have to be an Oakley case.

xjoex
09-02-2010, 08:11 PM
since you are an active member I can't imagine they mind. Put up a pic of the phone/camera sleeve. Those made all the difference for me.

Ask and ye shall receive!
http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_430xN.166695534.jpg
http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_430xN.143497017.jpg

If you sweat a ton, or live in the PNW you can put your phone in a phone sleeve, then in a jersey pocket wallet and get crazy waterproof.

-Joe

pdmtong
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I use the phone/camera sleeve for my iphone in summer, and then plan to put the iphone, in the phone/camera sleeve, into the larger folding thing for winter riding as joe suggested (now that I re-read his post). I have both, in the 3-ply beefy fabric

thats the best combo for me of size and weather resist for sweat/rain concerns.

I used to use ziplocs, but what a hassle. they get old, worn, torn.

If I had to buy one, I'd buy the phone/camnera sleeve. the foldup one is nice, but I dont like the bulk in summer and the metal clip doesnt play nice with my iphone screen

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 11:10 PM
You know, that jersey wallet looks awful nice.

Let me chew on the color and get back to you. I don't need total waterproofness since I don't plan to swim with the bike.

Gotta get one that matches the color of the bike :D

pdmtong
09-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't need total waterproofness since I don't plan to swim with the bike.

are you saying you don't sweat?

pdmtong
09-02-2010, 11:23 PM

no difference from ray and handlebra. good guy, good product....now, if the product or person sucked, we'd definitely flame them outta here.... :beer:

pdmtong
09-02-2010, 11:35 PM
In my medium fizik bag I can carry with no problem

- 1 tube
- 2 lenzyne tire levers
- 1 patch kit (glue, patches, dollar bil, tire boot, schraeder adapter for gas station)
- 1 threadless CO2 cartridge
- 1 threadless CO2 cartridge in old style plastic holder w/valve head
- 1 latex glove
- 1 park glueless patches
- keys
- eye drop vials (plastic 5-pack)

My topeak Micro Rocket Mini-pump is on the frame or in my pocket; iPhone goes in my jersey

to fit the small fizik bag I'd have to lose the patch kit and change to a cartrdige/head C02 system. it's doable.

tuxbailey
09-02-2010, 11:51 PM
I do sweat :). So waterproofness is required.

Looks like the medium ics saddle bag would do the trick. Are you sure the Microrocket won't fit?

ahumblecycler
09-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Looks like the medium ics saddle bag would do the trick. Are you sure the Microrocket won't fit?

What is the length and circumference of the pump? I will play around my bag and get back to you regarding fit.

tuxbailey
09-03-2010, 07:17 AM
What is the length and circumference of the pump? I will play around my bag and get back to you regarding fit.

Thanks ! The pump is 6.4 X 0.9 in. But I am set in getting the ICS bag since it fits all the essential stuff. The pump can go in the pocket or the frame. It is just more convenient it everything is in one place.

AngryScientist
09-03-2010, 07:55 AM
fwiw, i just keep my mini pump (lezyne!) in my jersey pocket. when i get off the bike, i follow the same routine no matter what. that pump goes in my shoe, and storing it there off the bike ensures i'll remember to throw it in my pocket every time.

tuxbailey
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
fwiw, i just keep my mini pump (lezyne!) in my jersey pocket. when i get off the bike, i follow the same routine no matter what. that pump goes in my shoe, and storing it there off the bike ensures i'll remember to throw it in my pocket every time.

Good habit. Right now everything goes to my helmet after each ride so I could add the mini pump to that routine.