PDA

View Full Version : Straight blade vs Curved Forks...

veggieburger
09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Lots of discussion out there - some folks say straight blade forks are harsher, some say opposite, many can't feel a difference.

Can you?

William
09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Lots of discussion out there - some folks say straight blade forks are harsher, some say opposite, many can't feel a difference.

Can you?

large thread here on this topic..

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=34268

William :beer:

veggieburger
09-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Oops. Thanks William!

Charles M
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
In the case you dont want to read through it, in most all cases, shape is about looks.

The character of a fork has a lot more to do with rake and manufacturing process and material than it does shape...

A "curved fork" is not "x"er than a Straight fork in all cases...

Take a super stiff over build version of a fork in one shape and it will act differently than a flimsy fork in another shape...

The whole arguement of shape is irrelevant except in a case where two forks are made the same way from the same materials and in the same rake... Guessing based on shape is bs otherwise

Pete Serotta
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Could not agree with PEZ more....

In the case you dont want to read through it, in most all cases, shape is about looks.

The character of a fork has a lot more to do with rake and manufacturing process and material than it does shape...

Take a super stiff over build version of a fork in one shape and it will act differently than a flimsy fork in another shape...

The whole arguement of shape is irrelevant except in a case where two forks are made the same way from the same materials and in the same rake... Guessing based on shape is bs otherwise

Depends on the entire bike intergration with it. If you are building a bike, ask one of the wonderful builders that frequent the forum. :banana:

PETE

William
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
As one builder so eloquently told me a while back to this same question...

Same same.

William

rnhood
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Good post.

shiftyfixedgear
09-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Why do square hamburgers taste different than round ones ? <G>

WayneJ
09-02-2010, 12:33 PM

Because the buns are round and some bites are all meat ?

William
09-02-2010, 12:35 PM

It's all in yer head. ;)

It boils down to which aesthetic appeals to you most.

William

ergott
09-02-2010, 12:45 PM
It's all in yer head. ;)

William

I respectfully disagree. Bicycle Quarterly did a study and clearly demonstrated that square burgers are more tasty. Too many specifics to mention here. You wouldn't understand.

shiftyfixedgear
09-02-2010, 12:46 PM
The French have always preferred square hamburgers . . .

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2010, 12:46 PM
It's all in yer head. ;)

William

This reminds me of a discussion I had with a buddy of mine regarding curvier women verses skinny, strait bodied women...it got more in depth than aesthetic desires.

shiftyfixedgear
09-02-2010, 12:57 PM
The French have always preferred curvier women . . .

Next issue of Bicycle Quarterly has another one of their amazing pseudo-scientific "tests" of that very question. Curvier won but only with the important caveat they they wore high-heels.

Uh, what were we originally talking about ? I seem to have lost my train of thought . . .

Keith A
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I love square hamburgers...

http://krystalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/krystal-burger.jpg

William
09-02-2010, 01:53 PM
This reminds me of a discussion I had with a buddy of mine regarding curvier women verses skinny, strait bodied women...it got more in depth than aesthetic desires.

The "why" may be more "in depth" to some, but what is it that strikes the initial feeling? Straight skinny, or curvy curves? I like both. :D

William

witcombusa
09-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Can you?

Doesn't even matter 'cause straight forks look like crap! :no:

Even worse than sloping top tubes, if that's possible.....

Peter B
09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Doesn't even matter 'cause straight forks look like crap! :no:

Even worse than sloping top tubes, if that's possible.....

Huh?

witcombusa
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Huh?

Not under me.....

I don't care how nicely it might have been crafted

Peter B
09-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Potato, potatoe. Beauty, eye, beholder.

Whew, my LLew is safe.

Keith A
09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Potato, potatoe. Beauty, eye, beholder.

Whew, my LLew is safe.My eye tells me that LLew is hot!

firerescuefin
09-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Peter B....GORGEOUS FF. Are you currently building that up?

Witcomb...No comment.

Peter B
09-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Been built and ridden for almost two years. It is a terrific bike, fork notwithstanding :)

Ken Robb
09-03-2010, 12:32 AM
square burgers don't plane. straight forks look funny.

soulspinner
09-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Been built and ridden for almost two years. It is a terrific bike, fork notwithstanding :)

I am of the camp that says a Llewellyn is about as purty as a bike gets :beer:

William
09-03-2010, 07:08 AM
square burgers don't plane. straight forks look funny.

I like them stiff, yet compliant.

That LLEW is HOT! Drool worthy for sure. :banana:

William

mister
09-03-2010, 07:36 AM
square pizza is good too.

never ridden a straight blade fork.
i prefer the looks of curved blade fork (when the blades have the right curve) and that's what my bikes have.

rugbysecondrow
09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
The "why" may be more "in depth" to some, but what is it that strikes the initial feeling? Straight skinny, or curvy curves? I like both. :D

William

Me too. When asked what type of women I like, my answer is ALL.

I must say, this is off topic, but I have a theory about curvy curve women vs. skinnier women who are waitresses. Thecurvy curve women will typically enhance your dinning experience because they truly appreciate the food and the process. Extra cheese, not a problem, Bacon...bring it on. Pancakes toped with fried eggs, sausage, hash browns all smothered in syruip...they understand it. Skinny women just look at you like you are an idiot. They do not get it nor are they vested in the product to the same degree. So, when you go out to eat, always look to sit in the section being serviced by the curvy curve woman.

My story and I am sticking to it. And yes, I have too much time on my hands and have spent too much time in pubs and diners talking through useless comparisons.

sg8357
09-03-2010, 08:38 AM
The French have always preferred square hamburgers . . .

Chateau Blanc, square burgers, with 5 holes in them before cooking.