PDA

View Full Version : Paul fixed rear hub

merlincustom1
09-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Just picked up a Pegoretti fixed. I plan to run Campy Pista crank and Pista 111 asymetrical BB and was thinking of doing Paul hubs. I see the rear fixed hub has a 44mm chainline. Does this present any issue to be concerned about?

Thanks.

09-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Not a big chainline offset, but you still have a rear hub that doesn't work on the same specs as everything else in the world. There are a very few offenders in this regard: Truvative Omnium cranks, Mavic Ellipse fixed wheels, Paul hubs. Honestly, they're not bad products, but they are all aimed at a road fixie market where chainline is usually defined by road cranksets used instead of track ones.

You bought a really fine frame. I'd equip it with standard equipment. Get some Phil Woods -- you can special order them in all kinds of colors (last I noticed, website only listed silver and, with an upcharge, black), with flange cutouts, low-friction bearings, whatever. Or use Dura Ace 7600 hubs. Or hunt down some Suntour Superbe Pro hubs if you really want rare and bling. With Pauls you've just gone into messenger country.

Benjamin
09-02-2010, 10:41 AM
it'll probably work just fine and you'll never notice the chainline issue, but i agree with 11.4 - there are plenty of great hubs out there and it seems like you're starting from scratch and buying high-end stuff, why not just get something that meets all your needs.

why not keep it all campy? (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-components/2010-campagnolo-record-low-flange-rear-track-hub-4111.1872.1.html)

cody.wms
09-02-2010, 10:41 AM
i think we need a picture of said bike...

merlincustom1
09-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Pics coming. It's just frame and fork at this point.

roguedog
09-02-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm ok with just frame and fork.. any one got any complaints? :p

We can watch it as it's being built :)

oldpotatoe
09-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Just picked up a Pegoretti fixed. I plan to run Campy Pista crank and Pista 111 asymetrical BB and was thinking of doing Paul hubs. I see the rear fixed hub has a 44mm chainline. Does this present any issue to be concerned about?

Thanks.

BB should be symmetrical, even for older 144mm bolt diameter Campagnolo pista cranks. 109mm or 111mm but symmetrical. If you have a asymetrical 111mm BB, that's made for Record/Chorus triples, not the pista, which is 111mm but symmetrical.

merlincustom1
09-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the Pista. Just checked Campy's website. They list the 111 Pista BB as assymetrical

oldpotatoe
09-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the Pista. Just checked Campy's website. They list the 111 Pista BB as assymetrical

I have one at work and I have measured it before and it sure measured the same spindle overhang on both sides plus I have used a C-Record..cup and ball(111) and Centaur on the last gen pista crank with success but I'll measure it again.

merlincustom1
09-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Maybe it's a typo on the Campy website.