PDA

View Full Version : Another saddle thread: Save my tush!

Secosera
09-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi all,

Forgive me if someone has posted something similar before. I did a search but couldn't find anything related. Anyways...

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Every saddle I've tried, besides the Brooks swift, just doesn't work for me! I've gone through the Fizik line, a few selle Italia's and San Marco's, and nothing works.
I think I now know what would work for me, but it seems like there are very few options matching my needs.
What I believe I am after is something with a width of 145-155mm and a cutout. So far the only thing that I've seen is the Toupe in 155, but I can't find any for sale. I'd like something less than 300g. Anyone have any suggestions? They need to make the carbon regale with a cutout!

Thanks,
Sean

ahumblecycler
09-02-2010, 09:28 AM
My local Specialized dealer has a saddle program to include the Toupe, Romin, and Phenom. I would check to see if you have one around your area.

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Hi all,

Forgive me if someone has posted something similar before. I did a search but couldn't find anything related. Anyways...

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Every saddle I've tried, besides the Brooks swift, just doesn't work for me! I've gone through the Fizik line, a few selle Italia's and San Marco's, and nothing works.
I think I now know what would work for me, but it seems like there are very few options matching my needs.
What I believe I am after is something with a width of 145-155mm and a cutout. So far the only thing that I've seen is the Toupe in 155, but I can't find any for sale. I'd like something less than 300g. Anyone have any suggestions? They need to make the carbon regale with a cutout!

Thanks,
Sean

If the Swift works, why not use it?

AndrewS
09-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Despite the price, I have yet to ride a saddle that is as ergonomic (to me) as an E3. It doesn't have a cut out, but does a tremendous job of putting 90% of the pressure just on your sit bones. The ti one is $40, so it wouldn't be a very expensive mistake.

chuckred
09-02-2010, 09:47 AM
I just picked one up on chain love for about $60 - 250 grams and a channel, 245 mm. Haven't tried it yet, though...Hi all,

Thanks,
Sean

AngryScientist
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
you've given us no description of the problem with which to help you choose something.

remember, an unseasoned ass is rarely comfortable on ANY saddle. something you just have to get used to sitting on a saddle for prolonged periods of time.

fwiw, in my experience, between the three fizik saddles and the toupe, 99% of the people will be OK with one of those 4, they've pretty much got the entire range of saddle needs covered.

Bob Loblaw
09-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I am a huge fan of the Terry Fly. The one with Ti rails goes about 255 grams, the cromo rail one I'm not sure.

Giving advice about saddles is like giving advice about hat size. It all depends on how you're built and shaped, but a lot of people find this saddle to be very comfortable and it comes highly rated for comfort by the cycling press.

But here it is:
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=80033-Terry+Fly+Titanium+Bicycle+Saddle

http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/terry/saddles/PRD_323660_2509crx.aspx

BL

R2D2
09-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Something else to look at is Berthoud saddles. There is both a tour and race vesion. IMHO they have improved on the Brooks design. Shell is more modern and rivets/screws are out of the way.

I love my Swallow and Swift so haven't needed to look for other options. But if I fall out of love Berthoud would be my first choice.

Pete Serotta
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
My local Specialized dealer has a saddle program to include the Toupe, Romin, and Phenom. I would check to see if you have one around your area.

These saddles are what I use mostly now. Yeah I also like some others but a few just plain give a pain for me personally (ARIAON)
:D

Benjamin
09-02-2010, 12:28 PM
anyone tried a specialized romin saddle yet?

http://www.gillcycles.co.uk/assets/301/romin_saddle.jpg

GPrince
09-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Nice saddles with very long rails. Not particularly light weight (like a brooks)

http://www.selleanatomica.com/

pjmsj21
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I am not a saddle expert. But advice that was given to me by someone who is an expert on fit (Michael Sylvester) said that a good deal of living with any saddle is getting off of it every 10 minutes or so by climbing. I now do this pretty regularly and it indeed has made a difference for me. It doesnt mean you have to have hills at the appropriate time either. Just upshift two or three gears and get out of the saddle for a bit.

I now really work on changing my position on the bike frequently. The toughest part of a ride for me are long flat sections of a ride.

Pat Mc

don'TreadOnMe
09-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Romin saddles are f'ing great.
I've got them on 2 bikes now (proletariat and waltworks), and they've made my other saddles ebay/craiglist fodder (ssm rolls & rever, fizik arione & pave & vitesse, titec berserkr, on and on and on).

Don49
09-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Despite the price, I have yet to ride a saddle that is as ergonomic (to me) as an E3. It doesn't have a cut out, but does a tremendous job of putting 90% of the pressure just on your sit bones. The ti one is $40, so it wouldn't be a very expensive mistake.

+1 on the E3 Form. I've tried a lot of saddles and still use the Flite and Brooks Professional, but the E3 is by far the most comfortable. Performance Bike used to sell it but I don't see it anymore. The E3 with ti rails for $40 was a great deal and I bought a couple of them.

AndrewS
09-02-2010, 05:08 PM
That sucks. I didn't notice that Performance was phasing them out, and can't find either E3 anywhere, now. I have three of them on three bikes - hope they last.

Just called Performance. It was an in-house brand, and is completely discontinued. Sorry for the pointless advice.

ahumblecycler
09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
@Benjamin

I have and I love it. I bought two, but due to circumstances beyond my control (twice), I only need one and therefore selling my other NIB.

Secosera
09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions!

I'm going to take a look at a few of those, hopefully one would work

you've given us no description of the problem with which to help you choose something.

remember, an unseasoned ass is rarely comfortable on ANY saddle. something you just have to get used to sitting on a saddle for prolonged periods of time.

fwiw, in my experience, between the three fizik saddles and the toupe, 99% of the people will be OK with one of those 4, they've pretty much got the entire range of saddle needs covered.

Sorry, I thought I gave enough description in what I was looking for.

I've narrowed my needs down to a 150mm+ width with a cutout and so far all I've found is the Toupe...which I can't find, hence this thread.

I put over 1500 miles alone on an Antares, and maybe 500 on an Aliante and Arione each. The Antares was better than the other two, but after mile 60 it got rough (rough being perineal numbness and sore sit bones). The other two were the same way, but around mile 30 instead. I tilted them around, did everything I could to get the fit right, and no joy.

palincss
09-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Have you ever tried a B.17?