PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Swallow - ooooh, aaaaah

Volant
09-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I rec'd a Ltd. Ed Ti Swallow (2007 black) as a gift the Christmas before last and I never got around to using it. I came across it the other day and thought, "Hmmm, I should give this a try." So, I popped it onto my De Salvo and went for an easy ride. Wow! I always heard that these saddles needed hours on the arse to feel good. If a saddle isn't going to work for me, I know it within 10-20 miles. It wasn't until I was approaching 50 miles that I realized I completely forgot about why I was out riding. My rear was loving this thing and since I forgot it was even there, I'm hoping my quest for the perfect saddle has ended. Only time in the saddle will tell.
Any one else had this kind of experience on a new saddle? If so, what make/model? Did it stay comfy? The only other one I've had luck with is the Arione. But, it didn't feel as good as the Brooks by far! As svelt as it is, the Swallow looks a little out of place on the bike as the bike is sporting carbon hoops; but, in a way, it kind of looks cool too. I'll have to get a pic up in the image gallery.

Took a pic this morning. Posted here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=819055#post819055

Ken Robb
09-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I like a B-17 or a Pro right out of the box followed by Arione. What a coincidence. You obviously got the angle up/down perfect right away. The slightest variation in angle on a Brooks makes a HUGE difference to me.

Ahneida Ride
09-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I like a B-17 or a Pro right out of the box followed by Arione. What a coincidence. You obviously got the angle up/down perfect right away. The slightest variation in angle on a Brooks makes a HUGE difference to me.

Love my B17 right outa the box ...

tiny angle adjustments DO make a HUGE difference ...

I believe this is why many people give up on a Brooks ...
they do not play with the angle of attack.

palincss
09-02-2010, 06:19 AM
What Ray said.

rugbysecondrow
09-02-2010, 06:23 AM
I really like the B-17. The swallow is nice as well, but it sagged too much for me, but that is likely due to me being a substantive fella and less to do with the swallow.

danielpack22@ma
09-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Count me in on the B-17 band wagon. Very comfortable out of the box. Also the Aliante feels great from the get go.

AngryScientist
09-02-2010, 07:04 AM
good to hear, i'm considering picking one up for my newest retro fixed gear build.

i must ask - who gave you a brooks swallow as a gift? i dont think anyone i know would ever think of such a clever gift! brilliant.

bobswire
09-02-2010, 07:18 AM

I agree with Robb. I tend to tolerate any saddle if the width (130-145) and angle is set correctly.
I do like the Brooks Swift though. Right now my favorite saddle is Specialized
Toupe. Don't have to think about it at all.

Mr. Squirrel
09-02-2010, 07:56 AM
i need a new chaise for my den. do you think this brooks swallow is the way to go? mr. volant, where do you ride?

mr. squirrel

buck-50
09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Love my swift, and it's kind of ruined my butt for other saddles.

Big fan of the b-17 as well.

That said, I got my swift used and it's not particularly comfortable after about 2-3 hours if it's hot and I'm sweating a lot. It actually starts getting really soft and the rivets in the back start to poke.

In a perfect world I'd love to have brooks recover it- ti swifts ain't cheap new.

Volant
09-02-2010, 12:30 PM
good to hear, i'm considering picking one up for my newest retro fixed gear build.

i must ask - who gave you a brooks swallow as a gift? i dont think anyone i know would ever think of such a clever gift! brilliant.

The kind giver was my brother. He's one of those nothing-but-the-best guys.

lonewolf48
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM

That said, I got my swift used and it's not particularly comfortable after about 2-3 hours if it's hot and I'm sweating a lot. It actually starts getting really soft and the rivets in the back start to poke.

In a perfect world I'd love to have brooks recover it- ti swifts ain't cheap new.

Go to the Brooks web-site. They offer to recover older saddles.

Firenze
09-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Same experience with my swallow. Right out of the box up through nearly 4,000 miles first year I had it, just got better and better.
Still the only saddle I ride.
Arch

Ken Robb
09-02-2010, 04:45 PM

Brooks used to do repairs and also sell repair parts.

Dekonick
09-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Count me in - B-17 makes me happy.

Volant
09-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Posted a pic in the image gallery. I'd enjoy seeing fellow Brooks lovers' bikes. Post 'em if you got 'em.