PDA

View Full Version : An update on the medical condition of Pretty Peggy.

TMB
08-31-2010, 10:06 PM
I thought I would post this in order to be able to reply to everyone who has asked, and I thank all of you for showing the curiosity and concern.

As many of you know I had a strange incident on my Pegoretti a couple of weeks ago and quite frankly was beside myself over it.

I received some very good advice here and at the Salon ( especially from Tom Kellogg ( surprise ) and Steve Garro ).

After getting my head screwed on right again I contacted Noah Rosen and Sam Whittingham about needed repairs and got essentially the same answer from both. That was - it is quite likely that at some point I may have to have the rear dropout replaced, which will require at least a partial repaint.

However, nothing to lose by putting a steel insert into the derailleur hanger, re-tapping it and aligning it. It may work, it may not. It may last a week, it may last 20 years. No way to know for sure, but as the first step it seemed to be the agreed on best route. So that is what I did.

I have the bike back home, with a new RD mounted ( hence the other one I bought being listed for sale ) but haven't had a chance to ride it to try it out. Will do that Friday.

It looks fine, apart from the chipped paint, and I am hoping I can use it for the Whistler Gran Fondo which is what I had planned. We'll see.

Anyway, there you go. It's back home and I want to ride it but will have to wait another couple of days.

And thank you all very much for the concern.

You're a good group (no matter what anyone says).

R2D2
09-01-2010, 06:25 AM
HI:
Could you give us the low down on the procedure?
Where did you buy the insert? Is it a helicoil? Was it difficult to repair etc?
TIA
Also sometimes things aren't as bad as they first appear no?

Pete Serotta
09-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Tom Kellogg is a one of the best if the not the best sources to deal with Frame needs. He is also a outstanding restorer of paint for them, He had some wonderful art at the Handmade Show last year.

PETE

TMB
09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Pete,

The frame would probably be at Kellogg's right now but for that pesky border thingie.

I got some good information from him and thanked him, but if a repair is warranted I really want to get it done on this side of the 49th simply because I am tired of dealing with customs and UPS and the like.

The last time I shipped a bike - to myself - I had no choice but to use UPS. They charged me $220 "BROKERAGE FEE" even after I went through the hoops to get the bike declared tarriff free.

Just didn't want to deal with it again.

The hanger was pretty badly bent and ovalized. It was bent back - very slowly. It would have been better to use heat but I figure if it fails then it has to go for a new rear dropout and re-paint anyway. So we bent it back very slowly and then drilled out the hanger and inserted a Wheels Mfg Dropout Saver which had to to be ground down a fair bit to get chain clearance on the back. Tapped it and re-aligned the Hanger.

So the bike is back together and waiting to go for a ride. Hope it lasts a long time this way.

mjb266
09-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Shoot, in the future, mail it to me (I'm 5 miles from the Abbtsford crossing and 10 from the Aldergrove crossing) and I'll sit on it until you can pick it up.

Jason

TMB
09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Shoot, in the future, mail it to me (I'm 5 miles from the Abbtsford crossing and 10 from the Aldergrove crossing) and I'll sit on it until you can pick it up.

Jason

Where are you? I remember as a kid we used to be able to get mail sent to the Sumas PO as General Delivery.

You could back and forth and deal with it that way.

The whole border thing has become a lot more cumbersome the last few years. I am in Kelowna, so that drive down 97 to Oroville is a pain and takes about 2 hours so not really practical.

I will kkep this in mnd though, thanks.

Pete Serotta
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Can you just get someone to drive the frame across border. (On east coast this has worked) and then ship from a shop or ofc. The same way back if you are close to the US. Point Gray who is in VC would be a good one to ask how also. PETE

Pete,

The frame would probably be at Kellogg's right now but for that pesky border thingie.

I got some good information from him and thanked him, but if a repair is warranted I really want to get it done on this side of the 49th simply because I am tired of dealing with customs and UPS and the like.

The last time I shipped a bike - to myself - I had no choice but to use UPS. They charged me $220 "BROKERAGE FEE" even after I went through the hoops to get the bike declared tarriff free.

Just didn't want to deal with it again.

The hanger was pretty badly bent and ovalized. It was bent back - very slowly. It would have been better to use heat but I figure if it fails then it has to go for a new rear dropout and re-paint anyway. So we bent it back very slowly and then drilled out the hanger and inserted a Wheels Mfg Dropout Saver which had to to be ground down a fair bit to get chain clearance on the back. Tapped it and re-aligned the Hanger.

So the bike is back together and waiting to go for a ride. Hope it lasts a long time this way.