PDA

View Full Version : How to go about fixing this ...

ahumblecycler
08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Because things keep getting better ... :crap:

I received a new frame set yesterday, and the box was mangled. Amazingly, only one small (but important part) of the frame appeared to incur damage.

First, the seat tube opening incurred a degree of force, which resulted in the aluminum liner to be pushed inward (see picture). How would I go about pushing the aluminum back into place? My initial thought is something opposite to a vice grip, similar to the "Jaws of Life" concept. My father suggested a hammer and a punch (assuming a broader, flat head on the punch covered in rubber).

Second, I noticed two tiny cracks traveling downward from the seat tube tear drop (for lack of better name; see picture). How do I assess whether the cracks are cosmetic (i.e., cracks in the gloss / paint) vs. damage (i.e., cracks in the carbon fiber)?

Thanks - AHC

vqdriver
08-31-2010, 11:09 AM
don't touch it yet. was the box insured?

ahumblecycler
08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I wish I could say yes, but honestly I do not know whether he did or did not. I am waiting to hear a response from him. I do not have the box in front of me to look through everything.

thegunner
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
as for the cracks in the teardrop portion, you could try sanding it and seeing if they're just in the surface of the paint (if it is, just apply a new clearcoat and you should be golden), if it starts sanding off white powder and it's still cracked, then it's toast.

i agree with the others though, don't touch it until you get a firm answer... fiddling with it might void that.

John M
08-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Did you take pictures of the "mangled box" prior to unpacking? If not then, you will have no claim against the shipper even if the contents were insured. The shipper can claim that the damage you show here was pre-existing and not due to their mangling.

ahumblecycler
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I have several pictures, and I had it delivered to my local Goin' Postal who will serve as witness.

AngryScientist
08-31-2010, 12:42 PM
if its me, i wouldnt touch that frame. send it back, those are damaged goods, no matter who's at fault - its not you.

quickfeet
08-31-2010, 12:44 PM
that frame looks to be ruined without carbon repair. The carbon is dis-bonded from the aluminum insert and the cracks will propagate on it. Return it fast!

oldpotatoe
09-01-2010, 07:51 AM
if its me, i wouldnt touch that frame. send it back, those are damaged goods, no matter who's at fault - its not you.

Concur..you shouldn't have to put up with somebody else's mistakes. The packer, the shipper, certainly not you.

ahumblecycler
09-01-2010, 08:13 AM
@all - after further reflection, inspection, and solution generation plus some consultation from my trusted LBS, I contacted the seller and requested a new frame. Without hesitation he said he would get one prepared and sent out right away. The seller possesses a lot of integrity, maintained open and frequent communication, and overall has made what could have been a messy situation fine. I have no doubt that if I had requested a new frame upon even seeing the package he would have jumped right on it. I just wanted it to work now, but alas it was not meant to be.

AngryScientist
09-01-2010, 08:15 AM
good going. that was the right thing to do all around. hopefully this respectful seller can get compensation from the shipping outfit that likely damaged the goods.

David Kirk
09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in well enough yet but........... what material is the frame? I see it has an alloy liner but what is the frame made of?

Dave

Pete Serotta
09-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Dave would be a good one to talk to and to have fix it....... :) :) PETE

rice rocket
09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Ah, this is what you were referring to in PMs.

Good to hear it's going well. Looks like an easy repair though, nothing more than epoxy and some quick clamps (or even just insert the post in while it's curing). Definitely not your responsibility though.

And show us the whole frame!

ahumblecycler
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
@rr - yep

@Dave - carbon fiber

David Kirk
09-01-2010, 10:00 AM
@rr - yep

@Dave - carbon fiber

If it were steel or Ti I'd not worry about it at all. but with carbon I don't like the cracks at the bottom of the slot. I'm sure it can be repaired but not at home. Send it to calfee or get a new one.

Sorry.

dave

lemondsteel
09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I personally would like to know who the shipper was that mangled the box and bike. Talk about blunt force trauma!
Also, who the frame supplier was that was so accomodating and acted as a seller should with that type of obvious damage. Thanks and glad it has turned out well!