PDA

View Full Version : silly question

vqdriver
08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
can you put a FD braze on on a ti frame?
why did we ever move to clamps anyway?

buldogge
08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
FWIW...My Ti Sampson Z7 uses a braze-on FD...or in its case a "rivet-on"!

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
08-30-2010, 09:07 PM

Off the top of my head:

Because they are not limited in position adjustment.

Because they don't break in a manner that requires surgery & re-paint to fix.

jbrainin
08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Off the top of my head:
***Because they don't break in a manner that requires surgery & re-paint to fix.***

Bingo!

Years ago, my Colorado II suffered exactly this kind of mishap when a chain pin failed and the chain got caught and the derailleur hanger was twisted, deforming the seat tube in the process. Better that such a mishap results in the clamp rotating than a seat tube ruined.

Louis
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Speaking of silly:

Monty Python Bicycle Repairman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoU4GtKLYBg&feature=related)

oldpotatoe
08-31-2010, 07:45 AM
can you put a FD braze on on a ti frame?

Yes but clampon front derailleurs are much more adjustable.

oliver1850
08-31-2010, 10:25 PM

pbjbike
08-31-2010, 10:59 PM
It's difficult to completely purge oxygen from the weld area between a solid piece, (like a FD braze on), and a tube. Tube to tube you have internal purging from an argon gas fitting, (usually placed in the seat or head tube), and external purging from the torch. With the braze on, there's the threat of oxygen remaining underneath the solid metal, unless you use a backing device. And the lower seat tube receives a ton of stress during the life of the bike, where it could fail if there was a purge issue. Clamps are better too since they can be adjusted rotationaly.