PDA

View Full Version : Carbon wheel braking observations

Rich_W
04-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Since this was being discussed in a recent thread... I just wanted to post some recent impressions on Carbon wheel braking... specifically on the Zipp 303 rim.

I'm running 303 rims laced to A/C micro hubs. I just switched from Campy Titanium calipers running Zipp carbon-specific pads (by koolstop) and installed ZeroG Ti calipers running Corima pads... night and day folks.

First, the Corimas, while they don't have the same initial 'bite' the Zipp pads do, they give smooth feedback on the imperfect silica braking surface. If you've ever owned Zipps rims, you know what I mean. With the zipp pads, you feel pulsations from the braking surface... the Corimas seem to absorb all of it. Very interesting... takes a little more hand pressure, but still a night and day improvement.

Anyway, I used to also think the braking on the Zipps suck... but since the wheels are feather light, I could live with it. Now with these ZeroG calipers in conjunction with the corima pads... I've got my cake, and I'm eatin it too.

:banana:

sspielman
04-15-2005, 08:46 AM
How do they perform in wet conditions? I know that it woul not be your wheel of choice for the rain, but one never knows when one will be caught out....especially in a race....

Rich_W
04-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Good question... I'm not racing this bike yet... still prefer to race my No.2 - Orbea Starship with the Alu CR420s around fellow Cat4 knuckleheads.

This bike is so pimp, and so light, I'd hate to crash it... I'm sure I'll change my mind once it gets a little more age on it. Right now, the limited version of the frame is done... no more will be produced.

Even if the weather looks questionable... I'll be on diff wheels.

zap
04-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Rich, I just put Zero SS brakes on my bike running 303 rims. Using KoolStop pads, braking is strong and super smooth. Much, much, much better than the Cane Creek's that were on there before.

I would say the braking is even better than my D/A equiped bike with al rims.

Absolutely great product that's designed and made in the US. We need more companies like Zero Gravity and Thomson. Expensive. Sure. But better than some of the crap coming from Europe and the Far East.

Rich_W
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Very true Zap.

Ted C @ ZeroG is one talented-mad-evil-scientist with a CNC machine. Have you tried the Corima pads yet? Do the SS versions come with Corimas?

Anyway... I just got back from an easy 50 and am totally amazed by these brakes. I know I shouldn't be putting so many miles on these wheels I supposedly bought as 'event' only... but I just can't get over how solid this 13.5 lb machine feels under me.

zap
04-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Corima pads do not come with the SS version.

Light carbon and al stuff is amazing to ride and one gets so spoiled riding them. Everything else just feels ........... ...........

LegendRider
04-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I have some Corima shoes and pads for sale in the classifieds.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7779

Too Tall
04-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Zipp rims don't require a special brake pad as far as I can tell. That's not what they tell you however. For yrs. I used regular DA pads and got great results. I now use green Cool Stop on all wheelsets alum, zipp and plain carbon (Nimble) which do not have zipp's embedded silica. This is a small comprimise but one I can live with. Wise me up if I am wrong...but the "carbon specific" pads like Zipp are to function as heat sinks thus making braking safer.

vaxn8r
04-15-2005, 03:49 PM
I would say the braking is even better than my D/A equiped bike with al rims.

Absolutely great product that's designed and made in the US. We need more companies like Zero Gravity and Thomson. Expensive. Sure. But better than some of the crap coming from Europe and the Far East.
So are you saying that DA brakes on an AL rim are crap or just the Cane Creeks?

What other brakes out of Europe and the Far East are you talking about?

FWIW, I use Kool Stop pads with my Reynolds wheelset and while they stop very nicely it is still not as good as my DA pads on any AL rim I own. I don't really get your comments about braking because any Campy or Shimano brake made in the last 8 years or so, and I've tried a lot of them, work perfectly. Brakes should be something you don't think about unless they don't work well.

zap
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Vax, I should have taken the time to be more specific.

I was refering to specialty brakes like Extralite, sampson, etc. But really, it was more of a simple plug for NA companies.

Campy & Shimano make great brakes. Well, maybe 2nd gen. DA weren't so good but still did the job. I understand Mavic's work quite well too.

I was comparing my 1 st gen. DA brakes with al rims to the Zero G's with carbon rims. I was using the DA brakes as a point of reference. Bottom line, I was comparing two very good brakes.

As a follow up, Cane Creeks with al rims aren't that great either. I put the rear brake on my beater bike last week and it will be coming off. It's like riding in the rain when you first hit the brakes, except that with the cane creeks, it feels like the water just sits on the rim all the time.