PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Recommendations

swithouski
08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Helmet was stolen over the weekend - Now looking to upgrade. Looking for thoughts/recommendations on a high-end helmet (130-200) range-ish.

Cheers,
-Stan

Ozz
08-30-2010, 01:40 PM
check out the Catlike helmet our hosts are now selling.... :beer:

Ahneida Ride
08-30-2010, 01:54 PM

I heard that the Catlike are very comfortable.
(from the grapevine)

veggieburger
08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Helmets (and saddles!) are tough to give advice on - depends the shape of your mellon. Chose fit over fashion! I like Giros, can't really wear Bells...

crownjewelwl
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I just picked up a Catlike from Signature Cycles. I had been using a Bell Volt. It feels lighter, but the biggest difference is the ventilation. The air channels seem deeper. The only downside is you end up with some crazy corn rows on your head.

swithouski
08-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Link?

Chad Engle
08-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Helmets (and saddles!) are tough to give advice on - depends the shape of your mellon. Chose fit over fashion! I like Giros, can't really wear Bells...

+1. Giros push on my forehead, Bell fits like a glove. I know that beauty is in the eye...but those Catlike are hideous. YMMV

fieldrecordings
08-30-2010, 02:02 PM
I have been enjoying a Giro Atmos for a year or so, now. Got a deal from a friend at a shop.

swithouski
08-30-2010, 02:04 PM
I understand. Both a very personal preferences but... it is nice to hear peoples thoughts regardless (can add Tires to the mix of personal pref as well)

swithouski
08-30-2010, 02:06 PM
I hear you (that's the helmet that was stolen). Just thinking about trying something new. With that said, If I really like the Atmos would I like a Catlike (nowhere in the area to try on) Would I like a Catlike if I liked the Atmos?(fitting, comfort ect...) The Catlikes are very sexy IMPO.

I have been enjoying a Giro Atmos for a year or so, now. Got a deal from a friend at a shop.

fieldrecordings
08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
FWIW, I think you should go with the Catlike, if only so you can give us (me) a report on it. :)

Ozz
08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Link?

Here you go:

http://www.serotta.com/Catlike/

:beer:

BumbleBeeDave
08-30-2010, 02:37 PM
. . . a slightly, er, used one I could give you a hell of a deal on . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

qjetha
08-30-2010, 02:51 PM
I also have a giro atmos and I like it a lot. Not only did it save my noggin once, but it looks and feels great! The Catlikes do look nice though and I would love to try one (in white, of course).

KALEL41
08-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Catlike's do look nice but comes with a hefty price...Been eyeing a Giro Atmos for quite some time but waiting to get a nice deal on one. If anyone's looking to get rid of there's (medium black) let me know...

dekindy
08-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Helmet was stolen over the weekend - Now looking to upgrade. Looking for thoughts/recommendations on a high-end helmet (130-200) range-ish.

Cheers,
-Stan

I just reviewed Bike Nashbar and all their helmets except the Giro Ionos Livestrong edition are selling for less than $200. I have the Giro Ionos and it is the best ventilated helmet for hot weather riding. Giro Atmos and Bell Volt and Sweep are all pro level helmets. My best advice is to try them on.

Bob Loblaw
08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
+1 for Giro Atmos. I love mine. The difference in comfort between it and my old cheap LG is staggering. I'm never skimping on a helmet again.

BL

Tim
08-30-2010, 03:51 PM
I second the call for the Atmos, also for the Ionos and, this summer, I bought a Prolight...very light and super comfortable- if the Giro shape fits, they're excellent helmets

EDS
08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Lazer Helium is a very nice helmet. Easiest to use size adjustment system available.

pjmsj21
08-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Lazer Helium is a very nice helmet. Easiest to use size adjustment system available.

I just decided to spend more than as little as possible which has been my helmet strategy and orderred a Lazer Helium via the mail as there was no dealer anywhere close. It seems to have a good rep as a comfortable helmet with a good retention system and pretty light as well. I anticipate it will be significantly better than my circa 2003 Giro (one size fits all).

EastCoastRoadie
08-30-2010, 05:49 PM

+1 on the Helium. Picked mine up about a month ago. Fits great, easy and effective adjustments (while riding), great ventilation, and pretty light. I had been having problems with sweat in my eyes with my Bell, but this problem has disappeared with the Helium.

wc1934
08-30-2010, 07:34 PM
+1 on the Helium. Picked mine up about a month ago. Fits great, easy and effective adjustments (while riding), great ventilation, and pretty light. I had been having problems with sweat in my eyes with my Bell, but this problem has disappeared with the Helium.

ditto on the lazer - had giro atmos but did not really fit my head - ability to adjust the lazer is outstanding

SEABREEZE
08-30-2010, 08:03 PM
. . . a slightly, er, used one I could give you a hell of a deal on . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

He may not know of your recent crash, and your helmet sayed your life..

Thus your humor, really, what brand was it...

m.skeen
08-30-2010, 09:45 PM

+1. I've had my Helium for a couple of weeks now and I love it. The retention system is great. I switched from an Atmos which I liked but the Helium vents just as well and fits me better. Size down if you choose the Helium. I wear a med Giro but the xs/s Lazer.

dsb
08-31-2010, 05:46 AM
After my most recent crash, I was in the Dr's office and she commented that the helmet had done a remarkable job. In comparison to my other injuries and the amount of damage the helmet sustained, she was amazed that I didn't have a concussion. After talking helmets with her a bit (she's a cyclist as well ...) we pretty much agreed that it was the fit of the helmet, and the lack of 'secondary impact' that did the trick.

So, the take-away for me is that how closely the impact absorbing material fits to your head is what's important, and not how 'comfy' you can make it with the 'retention' system...

FWIW, I was wearing a Bell Volt sized medium, I have to wear a large in Giro, and can't wear a Giro medium...

djg
08-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Specialized S-works has the best ventilation of any helmet I've had, but they all fit a bit differently and need to be tried on -- no fit, no good.

xjoex
08-31-2010, 07:44 AM
Specialized S-works has the best ventilation of any helmet I've had, but they all fit a bit differently and need to be tried on -- no fit, no good.

I have an s-works and it is so comfortable. I don't even notice I am wearing it.

I also have an LAS Squallo. I really like it because it has netting in the vents to keep the bugs out... I had a bad bee experience once!
Pics and a review: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2010/06/las-squalo-helmet.html

-Joe

swithouski
09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Ok. So just to update everybody - I purchased a Catlike Whisper for (in white :) Def fits a little more snug than my Atmos but the Atmos is prob just a little more comfortable. With that said I do love the look of the Catlike in the mirror (haha)

Izalco Expert
09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Bummer, I wish I would have said something earlier. You should have checked out the Rudy Project Sterling helmet..I even switched from my Atmos to it, absolutely amazing. Oh well :) good luck!